Managing Shared Recordings on Hopper 3

Cruciatus

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
Pennsylvania
I'll now try to focus on the good and what my new gadget can do. I've tried searching for this issue and haven't yet found exactly what I'm looking for so I do apologize if I'm repeating a question that's been asked a lot. I've tried changing my search words and either this isn't an issue for others or the answer is so obvious people don't need to post about it.

How do you manage recordings two people will watch separately?

We have the Hopper 3 and 3 Joeys. Two people in the house are viewers of recorded things while the other just watches live TV. In my searches I've discovered the folders aspect which will be helpful, but it seems for shows only I watch (or a folder for the other person of shows only they watch). But what do you do with recordings you both watch? We do not watch at the same time (or even in the same month). But how do you watch something and then leave it for the other person (and you know they haven't watched it yet, or vice versa)? And can they know that you've already watched it so it's OK to delete when they are finished? The DVR is going to get really muddled up quickly I think.

I don't want to have to constantly say that I've already watched that. Is there a trick anyone uses (if I'm not missing an obvious feature--I've only been able to play around for 30 minutes so far, but my internet searches are showing nothing). All I can think is we protect all the shows we both watch and if it's unprotected they can know I watched it. Please tell me there's a simpler/better way than that!

After the first person watches it just move it to the other persons folder that way if it's in your folder you can delete it when done.

Reactions: charlesrshell
We each have a folder where programs we individually watch are stored.

If we both watch we leave it out of any folders.

If I want to snoop a program she watches, I just open her folder and watch one.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
We each have a folder where programs we individually watch are stored.

If we both watch we leave it out of any folders.

If I want to snoop a program she watches, I just open her folder and watch one.
We do the same. His and Hers folders and no folder for common watch.

But how does each person know whether the item can be deleted and that both people have watched it? For now I'm going with the "protect" idea I had. All shows we both watch are in the main "no folder" and protected until I watch them (because I will watch them first 99% of the time). Once the other person watches them, if they don't see it protected they can trust that I watched it and can now delete it. For shows only I watch, I'm putting them in my folder.

But how does each person know whether the item can be deleted and that both people have watched it? For now I'm going with the "protect" idea I had. All shows we both watch are in the main "no folder" and protected until I watch them (because I will watch them first 99% of the time). Once the other person watches them, if they don't see it protected they can trust that I watched it and can now delete it. For shows only I watch, I'm putting them in my folder.

Remember, if a recording gets deleted accidentally, there is a trash section where you can recover it. That may allow you to make things less complicated.

We each have a folder for our names and a Tv folder that all programs from the networks and cable channels that deal with entertainment. I transfer the programs I watch to my I-pad to watch while at work and then move them on the dvr to my wife and sons folders, depending on what they like. Then they can delete them when they are through watching them. My wife's folder has mostly HGTV and DIY shows that she watches around the clock. We do not use Prime Time Anytime because it cuts off all the endings of tv shows . We use the 1 minute early and end 2 minutes late to catch the beginnings , endings and previews for next week. This has worked very well for us and my son and I use the firetv sticks on our tvs in his room and my computer room. The only time we have conflicts is when he watches a tv show on his firestick and I am using it at work at the same time. I then let him use it first to watch his superhero shows on Cw and Fox.

Two ways... when you click on a program; if the percentage line is all blue it's been watched. Second way when you click on the program it there is a resume option it's been watched, or at least partcialy watched.

There’s a bug that shows some shows with a solid blue bar that haven’t been watched at all yet. At least on my HWSes.

Reactions: pattykay
I was playing tonight with moving recordings from one folder to another. I'm following the instructions online and I'm even seeing the options (I think) but they are all greyed out except for "Select All". I did try clicking it but--nothing. So instead, when I'm looking at the recording and hit options I tried hitting 4 on the remote and it brings up "Add to folder". I click the folder I want (or No Folder) and still nothing happens. What am I missing? Manage My Recordings is making it very difficult to...manage my recordings. The Hopper 3 needs more options.

So, I just did some testing on this. I took my recording of The Americans that sat in the No Folder area and moved it to my folder. Then I moved it back. Next, I moved that recording back to my folder and then moved it to my wife’s folder. Then I moved it from her folder back to no folder. It works! These are the steps: Press DVR. Go to the folder that your recording resides (No Folder or ...). Press Options or the red button depending on the remote you are using. Press 2. Go to the recording you want to move. Now press Select. Then press 4. Select the folder you want to move to and press select. That’s it!

Something to note, if you have more than one recording in a folder you won’t be able to move just a single recording, you must move them all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)