MANY HD CHANNELS GONE ON 72 WEST?

It's the same. I've seen a few mentions of 4X Fast Forward but they have up to 300 FPS Fast Forward so what speed is that?
That's 300x, not 300FPS, the top FF speed. The CUI removed the slowest 4x speed.

Also, I read "consistent experience throughout our receiver lines" to mean more like a Hopper experience.

Reactions: HipKat
That's 300x, not 300FPS, the top FF speed. The CUI removed the slowest 4x speed.

Also, I read "consistent experience throughout our receiver lines" to mean more like a Hopper experience.
Ahh, thx, appreciate that.

Yeah, I'd assume it's to create a uniform experience, at least as far as the user interface is concerned, across the realm of DNS receivers

Say it ain't so! No more ViPs? :D

Talked to Dish Friday they say that they are not eliminating the VIP receivers. Now this was someone on the phone. I ask about new subscribers and they said they had a lot of Tailgaters and campers and VIP receivers were the only viable solution

Talked to Dish Friday they say that they are not eliminating the VIP receivers. Now this was someone on the phone. I ask about new subscribers and they said they had a lot of Tailgaters and campers and VIP receivers were the only viable solution
Not exactly true. Wallys work with Tailgaters also and if you buy a Tailgater, I believe a Wally is the receiver that Dish offers to purchase now.

Reactions: pattykay
So all these moves are because they're making space for 4K?
THX
If they are adding more channels, will it only be 4K?
Actually, we do not even know for sure that Dish will be adding any new channels, or even if the transponders are being freed up for use in the US at all. Remember that 72.7 is a Canadian satellite, so there could be some Canadian need for those transponders.

And yes, the coming demise of the ViP series has Ben mentioned here- for new activations. Current users can probably expect like for like ViP swap outs for many years to come. Just no s/w enhancements.
After October, I'll have to keep track of SW versions on my 722 to see if it changes.
I don't know about future software enhancements for the ViP series, but I did recently notice that the screen saver on my ViP722k has been updated. After many years of having outdated information, the websites listed on several of the screens have been updated. Also, the message at the bottom of the screen saver now says "Press SAT to watch TV" instead of "Press Select to watch TV" which is what the old screen saver said. I hadn't been paying attention for the last several months, so I have no idea exactly when this change took place. I am very sure that the ViP722k still had the old screen saver earlier this year when I had it installed, though.

Reactions: TheKrell
Actually, we do not even know for sure that Dish will be adding any new channels, or even if the transponders are being freed up for use in the US at all. Remember that 72.7 is a Canadian satellite, so there could be some Canadian need for those transponders.

Echostar has a lease for all 32 transponders for the life of the satellite.
Dish has a contract through 2019 for all of the transponders. After that Dish has the option for a month to month lease.
Bell has plenty of space at 91 and 82.
No one else will be getting into the DBS business in 2019 or now.
Any new MVPD will be IP based from here on out.
Dish obviously has plans for those transponders for something.

I don't see why they don't make the Hopper lite like a Wally that can be able to do at least 2 sat tuners and then add an ota module to get two ota channels and add your own hard drive and you end up with an updated 722k. Then no DVR FEE.:bigok The only feature lacking would be the tv 2 feature. Now if they would also add the Prime time anytime feature that can use one tuner to record all the big four local networks, you could get by with just this receiver and save the dvr fee. It would really be a nice receiver for people like my parents who watch a lot of locals and some cable like networks.

In pondering the moves from 72.7 to 61.5, this possible scenario occurred to me with zero knowledge of the technical capabilities involved other than the ability to move sats around. Could the move be essentially a temporary one to free up all of the transponders on 72.7 before moving the 77 bird or another sat into the 72.7 slot, relinquishing the Nimiq 5 back to the Canadian owner at the end of the lease in 2019? The new 72.7 sat could then be populated as needed. With the advent of the DPH LNBF, the 77 has been unreachable by many eastern arc Hopper 3 users anyway without an added wing dish. Ok, the technically superior among us can tear that idea apart now... :biggrin

In pondering the moves from 72.7 to 61.5, this possible scenario occurred to me with zero knowledge of the technical capabilities involved other than the ability to move sats around. Could the move be essentially a temporary one to free up all of the transponders on 72.7 before moving the 77 bird or another sat into the 72.7 slot, relinquishing the Nimiq 5 back to the Canadian owner at the end of the lease in 2019? The new 72.7 sat could then be populated as needed. With the advent of the DPH LNBF, the 77 has been unreachable by many eastern arc Hopper 3 users anyway without an added wing dish. Ok, the technically superior among us can tear that idea apart now... :biggrin

Nah. At 77 is QuetzSat1 which is a Mexican satellite that DISH leases.

I think they're getting ready to do something...

I don't see why they don't make the Hopper lite like a Wally that can be able to do at least 2 sat tuners and then add an ota module to get two ota channels and add your own hard drive and you end up with an updated 722k. Then no DVR FEE.:bigok The only feature lacking would be the tv 2 feature. Now if they would also add the Prime time anytime feature that can use one tuner to record all the big four local networks, you could get by with just this receiver and save the dvr fee. It would really be a nice receiver for people like my parents who watch a lot of locals and some cable like networks.

What you are describing is a ViP222 with the DVR software from a 211.

If Dish had done that they would have obsoleted the 722, same functionality, no DVR fees

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)