Mariano Rivera first Hall of Famer to unanimously be chosen

Another one in the hall of fame, Mike Mussina. Mike always was quiet and did what did best. He learned to pitch once age slow down his velocity. Will he go as a baltimore oriole or a new york Yankee?

"The need to be right is the sign of a vulgar mind"

Who could forget Roy Hollyday. The guy was feared in the American League everytime he took the mount. Roy will be missed as he life tragically ended in an aviation accident. Roy should go as a Blue Jay. His best years with Toronto.

Who could forget Roy Hollyday. The guy was feared in the American League everytime he took the mount. Roy will be missed as he life tragically ended in an aviation accident. Roy should go as a Blue Jay. His best years with Toronto.

He Unfortunately crashed less than a mile from my house. He was well liked in the area.

Another one in the hall of fame, Mike Mussina. Mike always was quiet and did what did best. He learned to pitch once age slow down his velocity. Will he go as a baltimore oriole or a new york Yankee?

When I think of Mike Mussina I think of Baltimore .... I presume he'll go in as an Oriole ... (but thats just me, I didn't look up how long he was where, nor do I think it should matter.)

Reactions: DWS44
Well deserved. This guy is one of finest individual.

I have never been a Yankee fan (and never will be) however, I always respected Mariano ...
It was pretty much Game Over when he came into the game ...

Being the first to be Unanimous .... is great, but as others mentioned, there have been others that could/should have been unanimous as well and were not due to writer/s being bullheaded and or just plane biased (because player did not honor your request for interview or various other dumb things.)

I have never been a Yankee fan (and never will be) however, I always respected Mariano ...
It was pretty much Game Over when he came into the game ...

Being the first to be Unanimous .... is great, but as others mentioned, there have been others that could/should have been unanimous as well and were not due to writer/s being bullheaded and or just plane biased (because player did not honor your request for interview or various other dumb things.)
I agreed. I do not much about the Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, etc that should have the same distinction. I live in the Mariano era where i saw his greatest moment and also his failures. One of the toughest one was game 7 in the world series blown save against the diamond backs. Mariano never refused an interview after a failure and treated every question recognizing his failures and respect for reporters. IMO, he always answered very honestly how he felt about the game and the people surrounding him.

I agreed. I do not much about the Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, etc that should have the same distinction. I live in the Mariano era where i saw his greatest moment and also his failures. One of the toughest one was game 7 in the world series blown save against the diamond backs. Mariano never refused an interview after a failure and treated every question recognizing his failures and respect for reporters. IMO, he always answered very honestly how he felt about the game and the people surrounding him.

Another tough one was against Boston losing 4 straight games in 2004. Large part of it was Mariano not closing the deal. I do not blame him it is the game and he was no super human. However, as far as i know he showed up at press box to answer questions after those failures and did it in such a way that one hardly remembers negative press about Mariano. In contrast, i like Mussina but he had moments where he refused to speak to the press after his velocity went down.

I'm kind of sad that the tradition of a few writers holding back so that no player is "100%" was ended. Nothing against Rivera, but even a casual fan can list 50 or 100 players who should have been likewise.

Reactions: madmadworld
I'm kind of sad that the tradition of a few writers holding back so that no player is "100%" was ended. Nothing against Rivera, but even a casual fan can list 50 or 100 players who should have been likewise.
Thats a piss poor tradition if it is true ...

Yes i believe lots could have gotten in that were snubbed by writers from other markets.

This is the best bunch of guys that i have inducted into the hall of fame. Maybe because i saw all of them play regularly.

50 to 100? Not even close. I'm thinking 10 at the most. Rivera, Ruth, Gehrig, Williams, Mays, Mantle, Griffey Jr, Walter Johnson, Cy Young. That's only nine!

50 to 100? Not even close. I'm thinking 10 at the most. Rivera, Ruth, Gehrig, Williams, Mays, Mantle, Griffey Jr, Walter Johnson, Cy Young. That's only nine!

Add Musial if you want an even 10. Hank Aaron should be included as well. Then there's Pete Rose but that is a whole other kettle of fish.

Reactions: Jimbo
Add Musial if you want an even 10. Hank Aaron should be included as well. Then there's Pete Rose but that is a whole other kettle of fish.
Perhaps Aaron, but Musial didn't have much speed and Rose didn't have much power.

If you make speed a requirement you eliminate just about every Red Sox candidate except maybe Aparicio (and he had lost a step by the time we had him) Ricky Henderson and Dave Roberts (the man who started the Greatest Comeback). I am not sure ruth had much either. As for Rose not having power he had the most hits in the history of the game. That alone is impressive. As for power he might have shown more had he not spent all those years with the Big Red Machine where his job was to get on base. But we all know why he is not even in there much less in there by unanimous vote.

Perhaps Aaron, but Musial didn't have much speed and Rose didn't have much power.
So now your discounting players that didn't do EVERYTHING ?

Theres very few that cover ALL bases ...

You can start taking tons of them OUT of the Hall if thats the case.

You also have to remember that the HR was NOT the biggest thing in the game when Rose played ... his era played as a team, not like todays where EVERYONE hits HR's and NO ONE hits Doubles and Triples, unless they Miss the HR.