Marvel "Agents of Shield"

Any chance marvels on abc can pull off the upset and get good ratings going up against the juggernaut Ncis ???

I think they are different audiences and the Marvel movies are juggernauts themselves. I would guess that Agents of Shield is aimed at a much younger demographic than NCIS. I don't claim to know how the ratings will work out but I expect this show to do very well.

I think that once people see there are no super heroes from the movies involved , the audience will drop off a bit. Just putting the extra bit characters from the movies and new group of human spies will not do it for most of people that are into sci-fi.

Wait, so there aren't any of the superheros? If that is the case I totally agree. I hadn't followed the previews closely, but had assumed that there would be superhero characters with the Marvel name attached. I'll still try it out, but don't expect to be as interested now...

I think that once people see there are no super heroes from the movies involved , the audience will drop off a bit. Just putting the extra bit characters from the movies and new group of human spies will not do it for most of people that are into sci-fi.

I think it will do pretty well with our without Ironman and Thor. Many people who are into sci-fi absolutely love Joss Whedon. I don't know exactly how involved he will be after the first episode, which he wrote and directed, but here is what he says his role will be. Marvell is a huge universe and their movies are absolutely making a killing. I think that shows that there is demand for this type of show even if you don't have Robert Downey Jr. and the rest of the crew as the stars of the show.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/08/04/joss-whedon-shield/

“I’m reading every script, every story, and giving notes and re-writes,” Whedon says. “I just can’t be in the room every day. The group I have [including showrunners Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen] shares this hard-to-convey idea of how I want the show to feel.”

Wait, so there aren't any of the superheros? If that is the case I totally agree. I hadn't followed the previews closely, but had assumed that there would be superhero characters with the Marvel name attached. I'll still try it out, but don't expect to be as interested now...

There are superheros and villains. Just not Ironman, Thor, Hulk, etc... in every episode. From what I have read, it is kind of like Marvell's take on Fringe. They are a global police division built to investigate the unknown and superhuman. It sounds like most of the villians and heroes they encounter will be other parts of the Marvell universe that aren't focused on as much in the movies. There will be some crossover though. Here is Joss's explanation from the same link I posted earlier.

Another critic asked whether S.H.I.E.L.D. will have cross-overs with the upcoming Marvel films.

Of course it will. Cross-pollination makes total sense. That said, Whedon is sensitive to the idea of going cross-over crazy and wants viewers to tune-in for the core cast, not just because, say, Thor does a pop-in at the S.H.I.E.L.D. offices the week his movie comes out.
“There will be as much as we can allow…. We’re still working that out,” Whedon says. “We don’t just want to be an Easter egg farm…. This show has to work for people who haven’t seen the movies.”
Fellow executive producer Jeffrey Bell points out there are 5,000 characters in the Marvel universe, so it’s almost difficult for the writers create a character for the show that couldn’t also serve as a pre-existing Marvel character so…you might as well use it. “So if we have a character that would mean something to somebody out there it doesn’t mean we’re subverting the story,” he says.
Whedon said he’d love for Marvel-verse stars like Samuel L. Jackson to appear on the show, yet candidly noted, “I’m not going to go begging or use up favors I need for Avengers 2.”

I think the only reason this show got picked up was the fact that the main guy ,that was killed in the last Avenger's movie, is now staring in this show and it was so tied to the Avengers movies. I don't think that people will be that happy with this show if it is lesser , not well known "superheroes." People are looking for the big names like Thor, Iron man , Hulk. But if they run it like Fringe division it might have a chance -if they stick to the same monster of the week scripts that Fringe started with.

I think the only reason this show got picked up was the fact that the main guy ,that was killed in the last Avenger's movie, is now staring in this show and it was so tied to the Avengers movies. I don't think that people will be that happy with this show if it is lesser , not well known "superheroes." People are looking for the big names like Thor, Iron man , Hulk. But if they run it like Fringe division it might have a chance -if they stick to the same monster of the week scripts that Fringe started with.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I think this show will be huge.

I also anticipate it to be a hit. Tons of potential, and many different options available to them. Especially after the movie successes.

The fans of the Avengers know that this show is not going to have the big heros in it.

The fans of the Avengers know that this show is not going to have the big heros in it.
But the key is that it appeals to people who are only casual fans. I'm not like some of you. I absolutely enjoyed the avengers movie however I do t read comics or know all the stories. In order for this to be successful it needs to appeal to me. Similarly, my wife is in the same boat. It needs to appeal to her too. She will gladly watch any avengers or iron man or captain america movie but has no clue about all the back stories. Make this appeal to her and they win.

But the key is that it appeals to people who are only casual fans. I'm not like some of you. I absolutely enjoyed the avengers movie however I do t read comics or know all the stories. In order for this to be successful it needs to appeal to me. Similarly, my wife is in the same boat. It needs to appeal to her too. She will gladly watch any avengers or iron man or captain america movie but has no clue about all the back stories. Make this appeal to her and they win.

I have never read any of the comics so I am in the same boat as you, but I knew from the beginning it wouldn't have the big characters in it.

I don't read the comics either but I still enjoyed all the movies. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't really remember Ironman and Thor being a huge deal before their movies hit either. More people definitely knew about them than some of the people they will use for this show. I don't think they were at the same level as Batman, Superman, and Spiderman though. I don't think all the success the movies had was because everyone knew all about the characters. I think it was more because they were genuinely good movies that people could relate to whether they read comics or not. The comic fans seemed to be happy because they did the source material justice and the rest of us were happy because they were good movies.

If the show is well written I think it can stand on it's own without Robert Downey and Chris Hemsworth. Whedon has done some very good TV before he became responsible for The Avengers. I think him and his brother will do a good job with this show too.

Next Episode: Season 1, Episode 1

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

"Pilot": As the world comes to grips with the existence of superheroes and aliens, agent Phil Coulson assembles a small group of highly skilled agents; the team's first assignment is to find a man with extraordinary -- and potentially devastating -- powers.

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)