MASN on Dish?

Littleyog

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2007
Does anyone know if MASN (Mid-Atlantic Sports Network) is ever going to be on Dish? It is the station the Orioles and Nationals are on here in DC area. Is there a way of asking dish to think about adding this station.

I e-mailed ceo@dishnetwork.com last night and got this response back a few minutes later:

We are currently negotiating with Mid-Atlantic Sports Network and hope
that a mutually beneficial arrangement can be achieved that delivers
this service at a fair price to all DISH Network subscribers in the
territory.

Thank you,
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Executive Communications
EchoStar Satellite L.L.C dba DISH Network

I hope they reach something quickly - the season starts tonight!

Thanks for the response, I really hope they figure this out so I can get to watch the Orioles and Nats this year!

Thanks for the response, I really hope they figure this out so I can get to watch the Orioles and Nats this year!

Not to complicate the issue but the Os are on MASN 2. I am not sure what variant of the channel S* will carry---if it carries anything. Are D* subs getting both?

I have sent several emails to dish and received no responses whatsoever. Will the Orioles game be blacked out on ESPN2 tonight in the washington area?

Welcome to Mid-Atlantic Baseball Hell...

Orioles fans can join the Nats fans in complaining to Dish, but it is like talking to a wall: It looks like Dish let MD-DC-VA-NC baseball fans down for the third year in a row. Not only will Nats and Orioles games not be available on MASN for Dish subscribers, but MASN will exercise their right to block other broadcasts, so no Nats or O's games on ESPN or TBS, either. The Nationals and Orioles share territorial rights to Maryland, DC, Virginia, and I believe all of North Carolina and parts of West Va. So as long as their primary carrier - MASN - is not carried on Dish, baseball fans in those areas stand no chance of seeing Orioles or Nats games on any other network, either. I am profoundly disappointed in Dish, and no longer recommend them to people, in spite of being a subscriber for 10 years (since Dish expanded to the east coast). I am now waiting for Verizon FIOS. It is sad that Dish has made me hate them almost as much as I hated Cablevision back in the day...

the orioles are blacked out with a greensboro, north carolina service address. what's up with that?

putting north carolina in the Oriole's territory is rediculous.

i live outside of baltimore but "move" to greensboro every november for better coverage of acc basketball. then when basketball ends we usually move back to baltimore for baseball season. of course we used to get the O's on comcast sports net. but now the O's are on MASN and dish doesn't carry MASN. so as soon as my wife finishes watching dancing with the stars i'm "moving" to boston and i'll catch the end of this baseball game.

i won't get the O's every night but i'll get plenty of AL-East coverage and i won't have to worry about yankees blackouts like i would if i "moved" to NYC.

And next year Charlie will wonder why his % of subs in Maryland / Virginia / D.C. is dropping like a rock, and no new subs are replacing them ...

Keep calling E* and complaining about the lack of MASN and keep requesting. I am going to do it every day now, let them know it's a necessary channel for the mid atlantic states.

putting north carolina in the Oriole's territory is rediculous.

i live outside of baltimore but "move" to greensboro every november for better coverage of acc basketball. then when basketball ends we usually move back to baltimore for baseball season. of course we used to get the O's on comcast sports net. but now the O's are on MASN and dish doesn't carry MASN. so as soon as my wife finishes watching dancing with the stars i'm "moving" to boston and i'll catch the end of this baseball game.

i won't get the O's every night but i'll get plenty of AL-East coverage and i won't have to worry about yankees blackouts like i would if i "moved" to NYC.

Yea down here in NC the Orioles game was blacked on ESPN2 and the RSN-Alt channel tonight :rolleyes:

I have wrriten several emails and don't even get the courtesy of a response. My next call will be to DirectTV. I find it unbelievable that I cannot see either of the local baseball teams on TV in 2007.

I live in the DC area and i'm very suprised they don't offer MASN. Granted I am a transplant and a die hard Detroit sports fan so I rarely watch DC sports teams...but still....that is just ridiculous. Another reason for me to bail on Dish as soon as FIOS TV starts offering the NHL Package.

Not to complicate the issue but the Os are on MASN 2. I am not sure what variant of the channel S* will carry---if it carries anything. Are D* subs getting both?

MASN2 is the extra channel for when both the Orioles and Nats are playing at the same time. Each team will be on MASN2 about the same number of times. It is only opened up while the game is played. Comcast is preempting CSPAN2 on some of its systems to fit it in. Direct also opens up an alternate channel.

I think MASN requires the availability of two channels, but I don't know if that's the hangup.

I've been emailing DISH and MASN regularly. DISH gives the same canned reply (and no reply at all the last two times). MASN doesn't ever reply, but its website has the question on its FAQ page. The MASN position is that DISH has been offered the same deal everyone else took, including Comcast (who had sued them). So we may have reached an impasse.

FWIW, a MASN representative at Orioles Fanfest on Sunday claims that they'll get it settled this month. We'll see.

If Dish carried MASN, the overflow game would be shown on one of the Sports Alternate channels.

The Orioles territiory covers all of Maryland / Delaware / Virginia, south-central Pennsylvania, eastern West Virgina, and the eastern 2/3rds of North Carolina. Nats territory is identical except it may not include Baltimore and northeastern Maryland.

Maps here (does not inlude updates for Nats): http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/files/astrodirt/discussion/419/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)