Mass. lawmakers eye a ‘Netflix tax’ to fund community TV channels

I pay sales tax on streaming services, but this is the first I'd heard of a tax to specifically fund community TV channels. It isn't really clear to me who is going to watch the community TV channels when there is effectively no cable TV any more.

I pay sales tax on streaming services,
13.5% here, 7% to the state, 6.5% to the county, but it just goes into the general funds.
but this is the first I'd heard of a tax to specifically fund community TV channels.
When I had Cable, that fee was in my bill , Franchise Fee if I remember correctly, been a while since I had Cable ( had Playstation Vue when it was a thing) , so the memory might be fuzzy

It isn't really clear to me who is going to watch the community TV channels when there is effectively no cable TV any more.
They will be available via Roku app.

Personally, I do not agree with or support this tax. People should not have to pay higher streaming fees - and you know that's what will happen to make up the extra revenue the streamers will be losing - in order to prop up community tv channels which are supposed to be funded by the local governments and non-profit organizations mentioned in the article. Someone is always looking to dip into your pocket for their cause and the supply of funds is not inexhaustible. At some point tough decisions need to be made regarding whether or not some services should or shouldn't still be offered or the method by which they are delivered is still viable.

I pay sales tax on streaming services, but this is the first I'd heard of a tax to specifically fund community TV channels. It isn't really clear to me who is going to watch the community TV channels when there is effectively no cable TV any more.
Who do you get your internet from?

Personally, I do not agree with or support this tax.
I do not either, but these taxes/fees have been attached to Cable TV since as far back as I remember.

But since there are only 39 Million Cable TV subs left ( plus 16 Million Satellite Subs, 13 Million streaming Live TV subs), they have to get the money from somewhere to finance these type of services that maybe 3 people watch.

And yes, I do find these channels worthless since you can get the info online in today’s world.

Personally, I do not agree with or support this tax. People should not have to pay higher streaming fees - and you know that's what will happen to make up the extra revenue the streamers will be losing - in order to prop up community tv channels which are supposed to be funded by the local governments and non-profit organizations mentioned in the article. Someone is always looking to dip into your pocket for their cause and the supply of funds is not inexhaustible. At some point tough decisions need to be made regarding whether or not some services should or shouldn't still be offered or the method by which they are delivered is still viable.
Seriously? I've been paying a tax on Sat TV that doesn't exist for cable TV. Talk about unfair!

I ponder the wisdom of this though, as Cable sub numbers are dropping. Granted, the people who'd benefit might be the people with cable still. I wonder whether a deal with the local PBS station and sub-channeling / streaming it makes more sense.

We are supposed to pay the state sales tax on streaming services. Of the two I checked, HBO charges me, Netflix does not.
Depends on how the law is written I guess, HBO is offered as a cable channel, Netflix is not.

I checked all of mine, Sales Tax on Netflix, Paramount+, Peacock, Hulu Bundle and Vudu ( when I buy digital movies)but not the 13.5%.

But HBOMAX and YouTube TV, I get charged the 13.5% but not sales tax which is 6%.

But when I preordered NFLST for $249 via YTTV, I was only charged sales tax.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts