Matt Smith, the new 11th Doctor

Well, after 47 years, I think they've gone through all the male Brit actors that are still alive, not ancient, and that haven't done a previous stint on Doctor Who!
Didn't stop them from casting Colin Baker after he had appeared as Maxil in Arc of Inifinity (though many of us wish it had...).

Lalla Ward also took over Romana on the episode following the one she appeared in as Astrid.

If I had to judge this new doctor by looks alone, I say it will be a big step backwards to NERD LAND. What a bad dresser. Couldn't they find someone else in England to play this character?
There were complaints about Tom Baker being cast to replace Jon Pertwee. That's why I wait a few episodes to make my judgment.

I wasn't too fond of Peter Davidson at first, but he grew on me.

I love Tom Baker also, but I really think David Tennant is going to be a hard act to follow... he was GREAT!

Ditto ! I never really cared who played the doctor till Tennant came along. He brought the entire show alive for me. There were characters who I didn't really care about and the way he related to them made me care about them. I loved Torchwood as well with Capt. Jack and Gwen etc. This entire Dr. Who universe is more real to me since he played the doc. It will be hard to adjust to this new geeky kid who is playing him now.

It was hard for me to adjust to Tennant for a while. Took about half a season before I really started to enjoy him. Now he is my favorite DR.

If I had to judge this new doctor by looks alone, I say it will be a big step backwards to NERD LAND. What a bad dresser. Couldn't they find someone else in England to play this character?

I'll admit her does look like a "nerd", but Tennant looked a bit nerdish to me for a bit before I got used to him. Now I wasn't that big of a follower of the Doctor back in the 80's because I was too young and all I knew from watching the occasional show on PBS was Tom Baker. Wasn't until years later that I learned about the regeneration and that many fine actors had played the Doctor over the years. So, now that I've been through that experience as it happened twice, I'm more inclined to give Matt Smith a chance to impress me. I want him to do it. Eccleston started the revival with a fantastic Doctor, yes the pun was intended, but Tennant has taken the character to a whole new level.

Bad dresser? Have you seen Colin Baker's 6th Doctor? :eek:

Bad dresser? Have you seen Colin Baker's 6th Doctor? :eek:
*shudder*
photo_lrg.jpg

The low point of JNT's change of the Doctor's attire going from a look to a costume.

The first 4 had looks that involved several different sets of clothes. When Turner took over during Tom Baker's last year, he switched him to a set costume, which followed through the next 3 Doctor's, with Colin's being a low (hideous) point, and Sly's being comical.

Fortunately Russel went back to a "look" as opposed to a costume.

Personally I think the Dr's "clothing" has been quite boring over the last 3 regenerations.

No personality, The Dr has always been a bit "off center" and his clothing reflected that. I think starting with John Pertwee's Velvet jackets and through Sylvester McCoy. (who I think may the best Dr.)

Colin Baker takes the cake for awful

10dr19.jpg

So, has anyone heard anything about the new season being shown here in the states and what channel it may be on? I know it's still a few months away.

My money would be on BBC America, and hopefully not too long after it starts across the pond.

So, has anyone heard anything about the new season being shown here in the states and what channel it may be on? I know it's still a few months away.

My money would be on BBC America, and hopefully not too long after it starts across the pond.
BBC America has the rights to Doctor Who in America.
Since Sci-fi's rights expired and BBC assigned them to BBC America (BBC owned), episodes have been showing fairly quickly. The End of Time parts 1 & 2 were only 1 day later than in Britain, and Torchwood: Children of Earth was only off by a week.
So Series 6 will likely be close to British air time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)