max 2 TVs ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rjad

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
A friend is thinking of getting dish network with local. so I think he needs dish 500 and dish 300 since some locals require dish 300 in our area (San Francisco Bay area). His house is pre-wired with two RG6 from outside to a central closet inside the house, then there is a home run (with two RG6 cables) to every room from the central closet. My question is: since there are only two cables into the house, is he limited to two receivers (or one receiver that has two tuners) ? Thanks.

He can run 2 tuners on the feed or a single dual tuner.

He can run several TV's on the output of each tuner but the only drawback is that any TV on the out of each tuner has to watch the same thing by just taking the remote with you to other rooms(In the case of a 322/522 dual tuner that has a UHF 2nd remote)

I would go with a Dish 500 and a Quad LNB and have them run 2 more cables in. Then you can have up to 4 seperate TV's with each having unique channels. It won't cost any more to do it right.

I would guess it is very difficult to run additional cables from outside to the central inside closet. I may be wrong but how do you follow the existing conduit ?

Now, if that's do-able. I would think only one more cable is needed so that there are three cables coming in. A DP34 can be used in the closet to get 4 TVs, or even more TVs can be added with chaining DP34s, no?

So, back to the original question, with two RG6 into the house, is it possible to have more than 2 tuners? Or do we have to run more than cable? Would dish installer install wire using the existing conduit or do they just run ugly cables through/along the wall ?

rjad said:
So, back to the original question, with two RG6 into the house, is it possible to have more than 2 tuners? Or do we have to run more than cable? Would dish installer install wire using the existing conduit or do they just run ugly cables through/along the wall ?

If your friend has to have two dishes to get the must-carry local channels, he's pretty much going to need at least one more line going from the outside to the wiring closet - one for each satellite feed (119/110/148). If he can live without the extra local channels that come in on the 148 satellite, then the installer can just install a DISHPro Twin LNB and connect it to the two existing coax feeds going to the closet. One or more DP34 (3 to 4) switches would then be mounted in the wiring closet and would feed the receivers in the house through the existing coax cables.

If it can be done, the installer should be able to run a third line into the wiring closet. If the wiring closet is inaccessible (why do people make wiring closets that aren't accesible for future projects??) then your friend would just have to do without the wing sats, or put up with cable 'wrapped' around the outside of the house and possibly going through a wall. It's really hard to know what can and can't be done without knowing the specifics of the house and wiring.

(You can have up to 4 tuners max through the DHA promotion, and a max of 6 receivers on any account - any equipment required for more than 4 tuners for a DHA account must be paid for separately by the customer.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts