Status
Please reply by conversation.

PMKS

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 7, 2005
South Texas
Hello all,
What is the max number of IRD's you can have on an account?

I was told in years past that 6 was the limit by the CSR's.
I live in the sticks and can't get cable, so sat tv is my only option. We also have 4 kids and they have IRD's and TV's in their room.

I think what DirecTV is looking for, is the possibility that these receivers are being used in a commercial business.

Go for however many you need and what the wallet can stand.
I'd also look into what receivers could be shared or not used at the same time.

Well, we've had six IRD's for some time, most of them hooked to phone lines.
In the past when I upgraded to a new IRD or a HD IRD the CSR's always made sure I removed the old one from the account to stay at 6 total.

Last month when I activated a H21, they didn't ask me about the older RCA DRD222RD it replaced and it stayed active on our account. I'd like to keep the 7th IRD but I'm scared to run the wires to install it and then they do some kind of audit and ask me to remove one :(

I was curious if the 6 IRD total policy had changed?

Well, we've had six IRD's for some time, most of them hooked to phone lines.
In the past when I upgraded to a new IRD or a HD IRD the CSR's always made sure I removed the old one from the account to stay at 6 total.

Last month when I activated a H21, they didn't ask me about the older RCA DRD222RD it replaced and it stayed active on our account. I'd like to keep the 7th IRD but I'm scared to run the wires to install it and then they do some kind of audit and ask me to remove one :(

I was curious if the 6 IRD total policy had changed?
If it's still active then it'll be on your account & you'll be paying 5 bucks a month for mirroring it. Hook it up & let it play. Even if they do an audit on your account you aren't doing anything wrong by watching the receivers that you are paying for.

I'd like to keep the 7th IRD but I'm scared to run the wires to install it and then they do some kind of audit and ask me to remove one

Are you getting confused with E* "audits" using the loc ID - D* doesn't have a way to do this on their receivers. And, I don't think there actually IS a pre-defined limit on IRD's on an account, particularly if you have them ALL hooked up on a phone line.

As steecoe said, just leave it on & don't worry about it... ;)

I currently have 10 receivers on my residential account and when I call in for any service, they say wow you have a lot of receivers. No questions asked. My 2 cents.

it's not 6 it's actually 16, any more than 16 is considered commercial

That sounds pretty close to accurate. As a technician, we are not informed to look for X amount of receivers on an account and to report it (then again, such a policy could be enforced from call centers instead) but yeah, I've seen homes with upwards of 8 active receivers (one of which was today, 3 active HR-21s, 2 HR10-250s, 2 Sony DVRs, and 1 Sony standard) so there's no reason it isn't allowable.

I have 10 currently.. big family demands em.

5 Bedrooms each with its own unit.
Den with 2 HDDVR
PC room with 1
Game room with 2 HDDVR

still need my Garage/work area for one and the kids club house is asking for one unit also.

Stay tuned. :D

I have done a residential 32 box install before on a guys house (mansion should be the term), and it was not commercial even in the system DirecTv had it as residential.

32 HD/DVR's on an install was a lot of work, especially since this was before my warehouse had the pleasure of being able to use SWM, so 2 lines to each reciever. I had to run 64 lines in all through the house all were wall fishes, went through 3 full boxes of cable on this one. Took my supervisor myself and another tech all day to do it, I think we logged 14 hours on this job.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)