Maximum RG6 Run

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

StarScan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 1, 2013
North Liberty, Indiana
I built a cabin about 200' behind the house. I currently have a Joey out there running off Ethernet which is working fine. I'm trying to future proof it before I finish the drywall. Would RG6 be a good choice between the house and cabin?

Reactions: charlesrshell
The formula is 200' total, from dish to hopper to joey. 150' from Dish to Hopper/receiver.

To get more technical, and Sheridan will probably correct me if I'm off, but this is how we were taught. every 10' of cable adds 1 dBM of line noise. Normally, at the dish, the dBM's are anywhere from approx 26 - 33 dBM's, depending on which bird you're looking at. Every connector adds 1.5 dBM's, so a barrel connector is adding 3 dBM's. Once you get to 50, you're probably going to start seeing signal loss issues.

Regardless, you want to use RG6 and in t heory, solid copper is better for longer runs, but I'm not sure if that's a fact or just an old techs' tale.

The formula is 200' total, from dish to hopper to joey. 150' from Dish to Hopper/receiver.

To get more technical, and Sheridan will probably correct me if I'm off, but this is how we were taught. every 10' of cable adds 1 dBM of line noise. Normally, at the dish, the dBM's are anywhere from approx 26 - 33 dBM's, depending on which bird you're looking at. Every connector adds 1.5 dBM's, so a barrel connector is adding 3 dBM's. Once you get to 50, you're probably going to start seeing signal loss issues.

Regardless, you want to use RG6 and in t heory, solid copper is better for longer runs, but I'm not sure if that's a fact or just an old techs' tale.

That's just about right on except it's a fact that solid copper has less voltage drop and line loss. And of course RG11 would be even less line loss. :)

I've run the Hopper 2 in our RV with 250' (5-50'sections) from the dish with usable signal levels, but the levels were low enough that rain fade would have been more of an issue than usual. Fortunately that was only for a brief 3 night stay in Florida with no rain in sight. I usually run 100' or less in most situations. We didn't happen to use our Joey during that stop, so I don't know if it was affected or not.

I have seen 211 and 222 to work of cable 300+ feet, but if the joey will work?
If was me and i am going to run net cable anyway, will definitely run RG6 as well, is not that expensive after all. Solid copper with jell for underground preferably.

Technically it is 100 meters on cat5 cabling. Cat6 will usually buy you some extra distance but at a cost and no guarantees. If you are doing an in wall install definitely. Go with Cat6 cabling and ports.

I have ran 500/600 feet on cat6 with no issues connecting a building across the street from my office.

If I had to replace the feed today, I would likely look at running fiber.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I have seen 211 and 222 to work of cable 300+ feet, but if the joey will work?
If was me and i am going to run net cable anyway, will definitely run RG6 as well, is not that expensive after all. Solid copper with jell for underground preferably.

I have gotten 500 feet working before with Legacy LNB’s on RG6

The key to making it work is the switch commands getting to the switch.

I remember we had to run separate cables for 119/110 and then placed the sw21 within 50 feet of the receiver, or in one situation right behind the receiver.

Dish pro LNB’s will even work longer distances as there is no 13/18 volt switching, rather a constant 20 volts.

I really wish Directv would have gone to a stacked type setup when using external switches such as a SWM 16. The fact they combine the 99/101 and 110/103/119 really bothers me.

With Dish you could always use separate dishes for separate satellites to address line of site issues. With Directv if you can’t get everything on a slimline your pretty much out of luck.

I have had Directv installs where we could not get 99 and 103 on the same dish. This particular one was in downtown Manhattan by the former World Trade Center site

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts