Maybe I need an installer, maybe not ...

teoteodore

Original poster
Nov 12, 2009
NJ
http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-satellite-discussion/193726-can-you-guys-identify-stuff.html

I'm new to satellite, as you can easily tell if you follow the link to my other forum postings.

I've concluded that, for the moment, the huge C-Band satellite system I inherited with my new home is not something I can use in its present configuration and locations. And I don't have time to fuss with it now --- maybe later, when I'm older and wiser.

However, if you look particularly at the distribution panel (photos included), you'll probably agree that there's a lot of good stuff there that can be used with DishTV if I bring that service in. The impression I get is that if I call them and have them do a clean install, that they will at best ignore all the existing technology and at worse intentionally or unintentionally destroy it.

In fact, there's a Uniden satellite on the roof and a satellite provider's receiver hooked up now that was left by the last owner (and last used in 2004). Theoretically, it would seem that if I subscribe to DishTV and get their new receiver and put it in place of the old one that everything would work. Is that something they would allow me to do, is that something they would do (if I watch over them like a hawk) or is that something I'd need a special 'private' installer to do.

Again, forgive the newbie questions.

Attachments

• Distribution Panel.jpg
    Distribution Panel.jpg
    490.4 KB · Views: 229
  • P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    523.5 KB · Views: 211
  • P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    336 KB · Views: 187
  • P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    460 KB · Views: 209
  • P1010005.JPG
    P1010005.JPG
    516.2 KB · Views: 210
  • P1010006.JPG
    P1010006.JPG
    528.7 KB · Views: 195
  • P1010007.JPG
    P1010007.JPG
    224.2 KB · Views: 204
  • P1010008.JPG
    P1010008.JPG
    525.3 KB · Views: 204
Go to the right forum!

Your first post was moved to the c-band forum because the equipment you display has been identified as c-band equipment, so please go there to post your question.

This forum is for DISH NETWORK!

SatelliteGuys.US > The Big Ones > Free To Air (FTA) Discussion > C-BAND Satellite Discussion

C-BAND Satellite Discussion - SatelliteGuys.US

http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-satellite-discussion/193726-can-you-guys-identify-stuff.html

I'm new to satellite, as you can easily tell if you follow the link to my other forum postings.

I've concluded that, for the moment, the huge C-Band satellite system I inherited with my new home is not something I can use in its present configuration and locations. And I don't have time to fuss with it now --- maybe later, when I'm older and wiser.

However, if you look particularly at the distribution panel (photos included), you'll probably agree that there's a lot of good stuff there that can be used with DishTV if I bring that service in. The impression I get is that if I call them and have them do a clean install, that they will at best ignore all the existing technology and at worse intentionally or unintentionally destroy it.

In fact, there's a Uniden satellite on the roof and a satellite provider's receiver hooked up now that was left by the last owner (and last used in 2004). Theoretically, it would seem that if I subscribe to DishTV and get their new receiver and put it in place of the old one that everything would work. Is that something they would allow me to do, is that something they would do (if I watch over them like a hawk) or is that something I'd need a special 'private' installer to do.

Again, forgive the newbie questions.

What is it that you want them to do, use the existing cabling or ignore it? They will use it if it is in good shape and meets specs and convenient to do so, otherwise not, especially if you don't want it disturbed. If you do not want any of it used or touched, just say so. If you have a central hub for signal distribution, they will run cable to that if that's what you want and it can easily be done without fishing cable. Or you can run the cable yourself and they will tie into that if it meets specs. There are any number of possibilities. Installers generally will take the easiest path for cable runs and that often involves running cable outside the home and then through a wall to inside. If you want a single entry point into the house and then distribution from there to rooms, you need to be responsible for the inside runs by either doing them yourself or hiring it done.

I'm in Central NJ (not sure if guys there have a NYC attitude or not --- and being a lifelong NYCer, I know of what I speak) Is it your experience that the installers who are sent out from DishTV will follow my suggestions and hook into my 'hub' and do any testing of continuity to the two locations I prefer? I guess I can ask DishTV when I call, but I want to know what I can expect. The guys in C-band implied that the installer may want to make sure I'm forever wedded to their system and perhaps accidentally snip a few cables.

A simple answer to your question is no. If you decide to subscribe to Dish Network, the installer is going to install a new dish, run new RG6 swept to 3GHz cable connected to new receivers. This is to ensure long life of the system and to minimize the possibility to service calls. I couldn't see the writing on the cables in the photos, but I'm guessing they are not rated for 3GHz, which is critical for a Dish system from the dish to the receiver. You can you the existing cables in your house as a backfeed from the receiver to you tv, as long as it is a SD connection. HD will need the receiver nearby the TV to utilize HDMI or component cables.

I'd call around to see what it would cost to get the big dish and hardware removed.

Blasphemy:eek:

Just let Dish install new cable and dish for Dish only. Don't let them touch the big cband stuff unless they are experienced with that type of equipment. The old 18in Uniden dish is not useful for the current satellite configuration that Dish uses. They can probably mount a new dish 1000.2 or 1000.4 in the same location as that 18 inch dish though.

You can get a digital FTA receiver and loop out from the old 4dtv and use the big dish too. If the internal battery on the 4dtv is still good and the unit hasn't lost it's id, you can even subscribe to programming with it.

Wherever they come from, the tech. should respect your wishes. Dish will backcharge NYC tech.'s just like anywhere else. I have had many work orders that read "Tech will see existing C-band equipment-leave intact." If your work order is worded like this, he will know before he arrives. Tell the CSR about it when you order. Someone paid a good deal of money for that C-band when it was new, and there's no need to use it's components because every install is figured for a new dish. If you ever get the old system going, you may be able to catch "stray feeds"- bursts of signal from overseas news correspondents to their U.S. studios. These are unedited news stories, and can be graphic. Some stuff never makes it to "air".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)