MDU - QAM firmware on vip722k

dbean

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
USA
MDU - QAM firmware on vip722

live in apt building, installer put int 2 vip722 boxes. Each vip722 tuner is connected to the wall through a qbox; total of 4 qboxes.

I have the option to purchase the boxes, and we are moving to a house soon. Nice to keep same boxes so we don't have to re-config timers, ect...

When I install a dish1000 + dpp44 at new house, and hook the vip722 to the dpp44, will it auto-download standard 'residential' fw, and get rid of the MDU-QAM fw?

Out of curiosity, what about the other direction, would a 'residential' vip722 download the MDU-QAM firmware once connected to qbox?

thanks!

Last edited:
Yes, at new house remove the q-boxes and replace with either triplexers or diplexers, then do check switch. At apt connect receivers to q-boxes, do check switch, answer yes to popup, reset, do qam scan.

Yes, at new house remove the q-boxes and replace with either triplexers or diplexers, then do check switch. At apt connect receivers to q-boxes, do check switch, answer yes to popup, reset, do qam scan.

thanks! I was mistaken, i thought QAM on/off was a difference of firmware. Sounds like its just a feature of the same firmware version; able to detect QAM or multiswitch.

Also, does anyone know if the timers will actually survive moving from QAM to dish? Does the receiver see QAM version of HGTV as the same channel as the the direct dish version of HGTV?

I've never used QAM with Dish so don't have any idea, but I can imagine there being enough differences that timers get invalidated.

Timers will be fine, qam is just the method that the receiver gets the signal. Channels are still the same, the numbers on the guide are mapped to the qam frequencies. In a traditional setup the channels are mapped to specific xponders on specific orbitals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)