ME TV On Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I still don't understand why MeTV sends 4:3 content as 14:9 stretched and zoomed. Do they think it looks better?
My guess is that enough idiots complained about the black bars on their TV and too many others are too clueless to care about the aspect butchering. As long as it's 720p widescreen, it "looks great".

Yes , I can tell you that they change the Aspect ratio again. Leave it to Beaver in Stretch mode again. Why can't we get the same aspect ratio as the regular channel does ota?

Reactions: Link
If you like WKRP that much - which I do - you'd be MUCH more satisfied just buying the box DVD set.
I just watched the Pilot Episode this morning which was broadcast Monday night. I had never seen this episode that introduced the characters and centered on the switch from elevator music to rock and roll and the birth of the twosome of "Johnny Fever" and Venus Flytrap.

The show has always interested me since I was on the air playing rock and roll at that time. The technical differences between WKRP and real radio stood out to me...too many to list here. But it was interesting that when Fever played the first rock and roll record after the switch and he yelled "booger" the camera pulled back and you could see the tone arm on the turntable was actually on the label of the record. One of the little things that got past the continuity people.

But still...I'm hooked again. ;)

Tonight I checked the SES3 HD feed for METV and it isn't quite 16:9, as there are black bars on each side. It looks better than the SD on 247. The pq on SES3 is much sharper and the feed is in Eastern Time. My local KATU2.2 runs on PT, but there doesn't seem to be a Western feed for METV on SES3. I wonder if they get their feed elsewhere or delay somehow?

Tonight I checked the SES3 HD feed for METV and it isn't quite 16:9, as there are black bars on each side. It looks better than the SD on 247. The pq on SES3 is much sharper and the feed is in Eastern Time. My local KATU2.2 runs on PT, but there doesn't seem to be a Western feed for METV on SES3. I wonder if they get their feed elsewhere or delay somehow?
There is a second MeTV feed. I don't know if it's 3 hours behind the main or what.

Since it seems some don't know what I'me referring to when I talk about MeTV's butchering of the aspect ratio, here is a snapshot of my OTA channel 30.2:

vlcsnap-00005.jpg

Here is the Dish delivered local channel 32. Notice it is the same partially stretched OTA feed, but the sides are cropped:

upload_2018-4-4_8-45-57.png

For reference, this is what it looks like on my DVD set. The above pictures are stretched a bit, zoomed a bit, and cropped, especially on the top/bottom:

upload_2018-4-4_8-46-36.png

How hard is it to leave the 4:3 aspect ratio alone?

How hard is it to leave the 4:3 aspect ratio alone?

Hear hear. And how hard is it for 16:9 SD material to be broadcast as such OTA? My local PBS stations mess this up all the time, and I don't understand what their problem is. There is no legitimate ATSC converter that won't do the right thing for 16:9 material broadcast in SD.

So...did they syndicate WKRP with and without original music and let the networks pick their poison, or do they only make it available without?

I know on the couple seasons of Married w/ Children I have on DVD, they replaced the opening theme song, I suppose due to similar music licensing issues.:rolleyes:

I was gone last week when MeTV was added and just saw it on Dish today. I see what others are saying how it's squished and needs to be wider.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)