ME TV On Dish

To hell with my locals. Unprofessional and always screwing up there commercial breaks not coming back to the program on time. I wish they all would of taken the repack offers to move or go off the air. I’d rather watch programming on the network apps if they were free. In the future maybe all locals across the country will stream their broadcasts for free. No antenna needed!

Reactions: pattykay
To hell with my locals. Unprofessional and always screwing up there commercial breaks not coming back to the program on time. I wish they all would of taken the repack offers to move or go off the air. I’d rather watch programming on the network apps if they were free. In the future maybe all locals across the country will stream their broadcasts for free. No antenna needed!

That would be nice, but they would need to pay the streaming rights for all the content they show, which probably makes it impractical in the near future.

Reactions: sam_gordon
From what is sounds like, the aspect ratio is screwed up on all versions, 247, 32, and 30.2.

Huh. Apparently I'm the only one who sees the correct aspect ratio without changing anything on 247. It looks the same on OTA 5.3.
According to my guide, WKRP on Dish 247 will begin with series 1 episode 6. Wonder why.

I don't remember which episode this was, but it was memorable you must admit.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
According to my guide, WKRP on Dish 247 will begin with series 1 episode 6. Wonder why.

My DISH guide for 247 and the sub channel OTA says episode 1. TIVO says Pilot Episode, Season 1 Episode 1.

I will be archiving every one. ;)
If you like WKRP that much - which I do - you'd be MUCH more satisfied just buying the box DVD set. Considering it's as low as around $40 now, it's worth it to NOT have to go thru dealing with commercials, as well as the fact that pieces of the show ARE cut out for time constraints for broadcasting today. (ie: to squeeze MORE commercial time in each episode!)

Thanks for the suggestion. I wonder if they were able to get original music clearances for the DVDs or did they use different and/or covers. I'll bet the MeTV shows don't have the original music.

Keep in mind that with the re-pack a station can have more than one HD channel. But this is probably not the case for METV.
You can have multiple HD channels from an OTA. I know our local CBS and NBC is doing that, and possibly FOX. You have 19.39Mbs of bandwidth. Put 12 on the primary, secondary gets 4 (at 720p), 2 for a 3rd SD, and you're there. I'm pretty sure MeTV remastered many of the shows to fill 16x9. They just started doing HD a year or so ago.

This is the first time I can ever say this, but when I checked METV on channel 247, it was about 4 seconds ahead of METV OTA here in Chicago. I can't ever recall a satellite channel being ahead of the OTA channel. They do have some different commercials.
I thought MeTV originated in Chicago. I'm surprised Dish's feed is ahead of OTA. If you had said another local (that had to downlink, process, and retransmit), I would understand.

Thanks for the suggestion. I wonder if they were able to get original music clearances for the DVDs or did they use different and/or covers. I'll bet the MeTV shows don't have the original music.
Shout Factory, who released the DVD set, got the vast majority of original music to be used in the DVD's...better than what went in the syndicated reruns. Not 100%, but pretty darn close...& you're still getting the closest to the run times of it's original network airings - if not all:

DVD Review: WKRP in Cincinnati - Complete Series

I think it different..at least on DVDs from over 10 years ago

Shout Factory, who released the DVD set, got the vast majority of original music to be used in the DVD's...better than what went in the syndicated reruns. Not 100%, but pretty darn close...& you're still getting the closest to the run times of it's original network airings - if not all:

DVD Review: WKRP in Cincinnati - Complete Series
I agree about getting close to the original run times because WKRP isn't that old of a program. It's the older programming that suffers the most with reduced runtimes due to the necessity of adding more commercials. For example, the old series Perry Mason that ran from the mid 50's to the mid 60's had an average episode run time of around 50 minutes. The episodes shown on METV have at least 10 minutes cut from each episode to accommodate more commercials, and many times that's cause for not understanding what's going on.

I thought MeTV originated in Chicago. I'm surprised Dish's feed is ahead of OTA. If you had said another local (that had to downlink, process, and retransmit), I would understand.

I am shocked as well. I can't ever recall having a satellite feed ahead of an OTA channel. There are no other OTA channels that I get where satellite is ahead of it. The closest one is LAFF - there is less than a second difference between 66-02 and 237 on satellite. Most OTA are 4-5 seconds ahead of the satellite feed.

I am shocked as well. I can't ever recall having a satellite feed ahead of an OTA channel. There are no other OTA channels that I get where satellite is ahead of it. The closest one is LAFF - there is less than a second difference between 66-02 and 237 on satellite. Most OTA are 4-5 seconds ahead of the satellite feed.

Dish is not getting it OTA, they're getting it from the national satellite feed just like all the local affiliates do.

Reactions: Tampa8
Dish is not getting it OTA, they're getting it from the national satellite feed just like all the local affiliates do.
But if he's receiving the OTA in Chicago, I think that's where MeTV originates. Unless it's going up to satellite and back down to Chicago, but I was under the impression it originated from a local station. I could be wrong.

But if he's receiving the OTA in Chicago, I think that's where MeTV originates. Unless it's going up to satellite and back down to Chicago, but I was under the impression it originated from a local station. I could be wrong.

Yep - that is what I was implying. All the other locals, such as WGN, ABC, etc. are all a handful of seconds ahead of the satellite. But even when I watch METV OTA, it is still behind the satellite feed.

Apparently from the timing it must be going to the satellite first. I was also under the impression that the national feed has no affiliate info or identifiers and is the original source which is down-linked and then loaded with the local inserts and over lays before going OTA.

Or maybe they have a worm hole and they change the timing with that. :biggrin

Apparently from the timing it must be going to the satellite first. I was also under the impression that the national feed has no affiliate info or identifiers and is the original source which is down-linked and then loaded with the local inserts and over lays before going OTA.
Agreed. The national feed doesn't have any local info. BUT, if the MeTV original broadcast is originated from a station, is that station pulling it off the satellite (like everyone else) or do they have a direct feed?

Agreed. The national feed doesn't have any local info. BUT, if the MeTV original broadcast is originated from a station, is that station pulling it off the satellite (like everyone else) or do they have a direct feed?

I think the Chicago origination stopped when they were bought by Weigel Broadcasting and went national.

I think the Chicago origination stopped when they were bought by Weigel Broadcasting and went national.
Weigel started MeTV full time in 2005 on WWME 23 and is located in Chicago. They also own WCIU 26 known as “The U” in Chicago as well as subchannels Decades, Heroes and Icons, and Movies! MeTV airs on WWME 23 and also on WCIU 26.3 in Chicago and has been available on cable and satellite for several years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts