Media General to buy Meredith in TV, magazine deal

If the sale happens can KADN move its subchannels to KLFY's 1718 foot monster and sell the channel 10 assets and their lil stick south of Church Point

no they cant move towers. If they keep KADN (again hypothetical) then they either sell KLFY as is (tower, license, programming) to someone else or they can buy the assets of KLFY but they would have to move the programming to the tower of KADN.

They can't pick and choose what they want. If they do the asset route its everything BUT the license and transmitter for that station. Plus the antenna is tuned to transmit on RF10 whereas KADN is on RF15

no they cant move towers. If they keep KADN (again hypothetical) then they either sell KLFY as is (tower, license, programming) to someone else or they can buy the assets of KLFY but they would have to move the programming to the tower of KADN.

They can't pick and choose what they want. If they do the asset route its everything BUT the license and transmitter for that station. Plus the antenna is tuned to transmit on RF10 whereas KADN is on RF15
Thanks for settimg the record straight

ICEBURG

Ok so the deal goes through (Scenario). Nexstar keeps KADN 15 Fox, KLAF NBC 46/15.2 (LOW POWER so they are allowed to) 15.3 the mynetwork tv acadiana. Then KLFY CBS 10 (Launched in 1955) would be a subchannel of Fox KADN 15. Therefore the 1718 foot monument by my house, the license that was KLFY, the channel 10, and the TV Station on Eraste Landry by the Corner Store will be up for sale and some happy camper buys it and puts channels on it.

Next I am assuming (correct me if I am wrong) 15.1 KADN Fox, 15.2 KLAF NBC (46.1), 15.3 KLFY CBS or Acadiana's CBS, 15.4 MNTV Acadiana
Which would be HD and which SD

Someone buys the former KLFY 10, the tower and the station and they can load up pretty much what they want like KRDK did after KXJB 4 went with the Valley 11.2 NBC

Sadly it seems anytime a local TV contract comes up there is a squabble. Media General with Directv, now Tegna (Gannett) with Dish
I blame the FCC for this. Allowing locals to charge a carriage fee. IMO over the air should be just that, free to rebroadcast. If I can get the signals with rabbit ears why am I paying for it through my cable bill.

ICEBURG

Ok so the deal goes through (Scenario). Nexstar keeps KADN 15 Fox, KLAF NBC 46/15.2 (LOW POWER so they are allowed to) 15.3 the mynetwork tv acadiana. Then KLFY CBS 10 (Launched in 1955) would be a subchannel of Fox KADN 15. Therefore the 1718 foot monument by my house, the license that was KLFY, the channel 10, and the TV Station on Eraste Landry by the Corner Store will be up for sale and some happy camper buys it and puts channels on it.
you can own one full power and as many low powered stations as you want in a market...regardless of affiliation. Thats why Nexstar has FOX and NBC in your market. You can't own more than one full power station if they are the top 4 in the market (if there are 8 full powered stations in the market). Since most cases its Big 4 nets and not Independent, CW or My that is why companies can own say the NBC and a CW in the same market.

Next I am assuming (correct me if I am wrong) 15.1 KADN Fox, 15.2 KLAF NBC (46.1), 15.3 KLFY CBS or Acadiana's CBS, 15.4 MNTV Acadiana
Which would be HD and which SD

Someone buys the former KLFY 10, the tower and the station and they can load up pretty much what they want like KRDK did after KXJB 4 went with the Valley 11.2 NBC

Lets back up the wagon here. Honestly I see (again if his all goes through) Nexstar selling the stations where there is a conflict instead of doing like Gray has done. Here is why I think that.

When Gray buys out someone they usually are dealing with one example of a duopoly conflict. So it can be resolved rather easily. When they bought out Hoak they had minor issues with duopoly conflicts in Fargo, Grand Island Nebraska and Monroe, LA that were easily solved (move the one station as a sub to their own station. In Grand Island, NE they moved it to a station they already owned and did the sub route). When they bought out the FOX in Western ND it was 2 stations. When they bought FOX in Wausau it was again one issue. Now with the Schurz transaction the only thing they had to work out is Rapid City

With Nextar and Media General you have about 1/2 dozen or so conflicts including one in Terre Haute, IN where only 2 companies own all 3 stations in the market. Nexstar is ABC & NBC and MG owns the CBS (with Fox sub)

The KRDK example of what happens after that is an EXTREME example. If you look at the other stations that Gray sold off you'll see 2 have H&I, 1 has MeTV and one has Sonlife.

Again this is all speculation. All we know is Nexstar made an offer to MG...there is nothing that says its a done deal

which was resolved so no channels were removed.
Thanks for Mentioning it....I am all in this Nexstar take over and forgot all about it....

Which Reminds me (and this is all here say right now).....Nexstar buys Media General, KLFY is the only station in Louisiana that Media General owns, can Nexstar decide( well since KLFY is the only station we own in Louisiana), can they put KLFY up for sale (with the 1718 foot stick the building on eraste landry, and the license) to an interested buyer like Sinclair, Raycom, or Quincy, or even CBS Television Stations.....Thus preventing KLFY from going as a subchannel of KADN Fox 15 and possibly Nexstar doing the unthinkable and just turning in the license shutting it down all together.

Which Reminds me (and this is all here say right now).....Nexstar buys Media General, KLFY is the only station in Louisiana that Media General owns, can Nexstar decide( well since KLFY is the only station we own in Louisiana), can they put KLFY up for sale (with the 1718 foot stick the building on eraste landry, and the license) to an interested buyer like Sinclair, Raycom, or Quincy, or even CBS Television Stations.....Thus preventing KLFY from going as a subchannel of KADN Fox 15 and possibly Nexstar doing the unthinkable and just turning in the license shutting it down all together.

someone has bad short term memory ;)
I said it Monday that they can (and probably ) will sell the station as is. License, transmitter, programming, etc. Thats what Gray did with the Schurz transactions. They did a swap with other companies for stations in markets where they would own more than 1.

As for owner....that again is way down the road. But I doubt it would be CBS proper. They havent bought a CBS in over 10 years and their "smallest" market is Pittsburgh

someone has bad short term memory ;)
I said it Monday that they can (and probably ) will sell the station as is. License, transmitter, programming, etc. Thats what Gray did with the Schurz transactions. They did a swap with other companies for stations in markets where they would own more than 1.

As for owner....that again is way down the road. But I doubt it would be CBS proper. They havent bought a CBS in over 10 years and their "smallest" market is Pittsburgh
Ok thanks, we'll see down the road...thank you

The fun part would be 1. The Meredith Buyout with MG would go as planned then (which I guess is still a go) 2. down the road MG partners with Nexstar......

Then one would only hope they would not lose the Laff/cozi/escapes/Grits/Ions/GetTV's..... that Media General has agreed (and launched already) with and will agree with to launch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts