Memphis Local Channels in Little Rock

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Alan0541

Original poster
Nov 13, 2004
Is it possible for me to subscribe and receive Memphis local channels in Little Rock with either Dish Network or DirectTV? Litttle Rock is about 150 miles west of Memphis. Iown property in Memphis that could be used for a billing/install address.

It is illegal (at least under current FCC regulations) for a DBS provider to knowingly broadcast local channels that are outside of the customer's designated market area, or DMA. Providing a false service address in order to receive out-of-market local channels is a federal offense, and can result in heavy fines. Legislation is currently under consideration in Congress that would allow DBS providers to provide "significantly viewed" channels from nearby markets.

The only exception allowed under current law is the transmission of stations designated as Distant Network Service stations, such as the flagship network affiliates for NBC, ABC, NBC and Fox in Los Angeles and New York City. However, receipt of these channels is dependent on whether the local station that serves the customer's DMA grants permission for the customer to receive them. Generally, such waiver requests are denied if the local station feels they are able to broadcast to you by means of an OTA source.

I understand the law on this issue, I guess my question was regarding the technical feasability of doing it. Are the local channels for Memphis and Little Rock carried on the same satellite? Is this different for DirectTV or Dish Network?

They may be carried on the same satellite, but locals are typically delivered via spotbeams covering only a few hundred miles. This isn't done to shut out distant locals (it's to reuse frequencies), but that's one of the side-effects.

And as D_Mole was saying, not that's it's legal anyway. :)

Memphis is, or was, on transponder 4 of the 101 satellite. You'd have to find out what the signal level was for that transponder where you're located.
Little Rock is on 119.

jimisham,
I assume the transponder numbers and satellite locations you referenced refer to Dish Network as opposed to DirecTV?

Where can I find analagous information for DirecTV?

For Dish Network:

Little Rock has all but 2 channels on 110, Conus TP 5
KVTN TV 25 (Rel) and KYPX TV 49 (Pax) are on side sat. 148 TP 12

Memphis has all but 1 channel on 110, TP 5, Spotbeam 9
WLMT TV 30 (UPN) is on side sat. 61.5 TP 22

You can see a layout of Spotbeam 9 at
http://wvjw.info/dbs-beam/echo8.gif

It might be a little iffy since you'll be on the edge. If you try, I'd recommend a 36" dish for your 110.

Alan0541 said:
jimisham,
I assume the transponder numbers and satellite locations you referenced refer to Dish Network as opposed to DirecTV?

I'm talking about Directv.

The Directv web site does not indicate that Little Rock is on 72.5. It doesn't say anything about a second dish being required, unless the web site is in error.
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/see/LocalChannels_markets.dsp

Alan0541 said:
jimisham,

I'm talking about Directv. The Directv web site does not indicate that Little Rock is on 72.5. It doesn't say anything about a second dish being required. Apparently Little Rokc is still on 119 if the web site is correct. I know they were moving some from 101 to 119.
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/see/LocalChannels_markets.dsp

Derwin0, Little Rock LIL for D* is on 119, requires a multisatellite dish; it's certainly a spotbeam, but I don't know the footprint. (Unfortunately, the spotbeam website's map for D*7S is its "backup" configuration at 110, not its primary one at 119.) Don't know how common "moving" is with D*.

For E*, you're right about Little Rock, but per www.dishchannelchart.com , Memphis is 110 TP 6, spotbeam 9. From the Point Dish screen of my 522 (in midtown Little Rock, hooked to a Dish500 with DishPro Twin LNBF), I presently get a 50-52 on TP 6, vs. 95 on TP 5. It doesn't say which spotbeam it's picking up, but I suspect it's probably Memphis'. I have a tall building just south of me, which my LOS barely clears; that might affect marginal signals.

Of course, "moving" is technically illegal (and I don't do it either--I need Little Rock locals on satellite, thanks to that tall building and neighborhood interference which affects the Comcast signal), but from what I've seen on the E* forum, it's all too common among E* customers. As long as no one has E* at your Memphis addy, you can probably get away with it. A local restaurant here has gotten away with distant locals on its E* equipment for years, probably by "moving" to an addy that can get them; I won't name names to protect the guilty.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)