Mesa, AZ - bringing Shaw Direct equipment with me, will it work?

FernyD

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
Mesa
Wow, so much information here. I am trying to digest it all. Talking about Satellites stopping working and perhaps the Shaw Direct footpath being affected. I don't like that topic. LOL

I recently had a brand new Shaw Direct TV service installed in Canada, knowing I was taking it with me to AZ to our vacation home, and then back again when I return in the Spring.

I got everything working at home with the newest Satellite Dish, receivers, LNA or B or C, not sure which I have. (I can send pictures) Anyway, everything works perfectly up here.

My thought is to ship all the equipment down to my place in Arizona. Reinstall everything and then point my ShawDirect dish at the appropriate location in the sky. I thought I would hire someone down there for that? Or perhaps I could purchase or figure out a way of pointing the satellite. I am tech savvy but haven't really worked on Satellite dishes, although I think I understand the concepts.

This question is for those with experience in this field. Will my plan work? Is there a working Satellite to point to which will have the strength to receive a good signal to my receivers in the Mesa, Scottsdale area of Arizona? My TV plan has a lot of HD channels and sports.

Thanks so much for any help I can get and if there is anyone in that area interested in helping I would pay for the services rendered.

PS I could also take off the LNA(B or C) and just take that with me if it would work. Just thought everything together may work best.

Cheers,

Ferny

PacificRim - thanks for this information, I appreciate finding that Excel file for me.

My buddy is in the same neighborhood and gets most of the channels I want.

Looking at the Excel file it includes everything I have selected for the "package" I subscribe to. All TSN and Sportnet, plus network US channels like ABC, NBC, CBS. As well as, my local channels, CBC, CTV, Global, and City. Hopefully, the timeshare channels are also available.

I found the NFL Network but am interested in getting the NFL Sunday Ticket. Any idea if that is available?

My house has DirecTV to it right now so I was planning on just removing their dish and installing my Shaw Satellite dish on the same mount, then repointing it. Does that right?

Thanks again PR.

So I cannot get ANIK G1. Is that because I am too far south? If I had a larger dish would that capture the signal better? Or is ANIK just pointed in the wrong direction? I am new and trying to understand how things work.

Thanks again PR.

Is there also a list of the ANIK G1 channels?

Wow, so much information here. I am trying to digest it all. Talking about Satellites stopping working and perhaps the Shaw Direct footpath being affected. I don't like that topic. LOL

I recently had a brand new Shaw Direct TV service installed in Canada, knowing I was taking it with me to AZ to our vacation home, and then back again when I return in the Spring.

I got everything working at home with the newest Satellite Dish, receivers, LNA or B or C, not sure which I have. (I can send pictures) Anyway, everything works perfectly up here.

My thought is to ship all the equipment down to my place in Arizona. Reinstall everything and then point my ShawDirect dish at the appropriate location in the sky. I thought I would hire someone down there for that? Or perhaps I could purchase or figure out a way of pointing the satellite. I am tech savvy but haven't really worked on Satellite dishes, although I think I understand the concepts.

This question is for those with experience in this field. Will my plan work? Is there a working Satellite to point to which will have the strength to receive a good signal to my receivers in the Mesa, Scottsdale area of Arizona? My TV plan has a lot of HD channels and sports.

Thanks so much for any help I can get and if there is anyone in that area interested in helping I would pay for the services rendered.

PS I could also take off the LNA(B or C) and just take that with me if it would work. Just thought everything together may work best.

Cheers,

Ferny
Do you have the 75cm dish? You'll need it in AZ.

Cheers,

Ferny
Do you have the 75cm dish? You'll need it in AZ.

I'm not sure but here is a picture of it. Could I just remove the LNB and bring it with me and get a dish down there that would work? Or a larger one if that is what is needed?

Attachments

• dish.jpg
    dish.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 299
  • satellite2.jpg
    satellite2.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 155
I'm not sure but here is a picture of it. Could I just remove the LNB and bring it with me and get a dish down there that would work? Or a larger one if that is what is needed?
Read the back of your dish and see if it is labeled 60-E or 75-E. If it is 60-E, leave it alone, and locate a Shaw Direct 75-E with matching XKu LNBF from a Canadian source before heading to Arizona. You should use a matched set for ease of alignment and maximum signal, even if you are only using it on one satellite (Anik F2).

So what I have is a 60E, here is a picture of the LNB decal on the back.

Mellaby I see your offer for help. That is very nice of you and if possible I will take you up on that. I am in the Mesa area, are you around there?

So do I need to get a new xLNB as well? If so I will just contact Shaw DirecTv and get them to change it out. Would I need to bring the dish down as well or is this something I can purchase in AZ from you or others?

Thanks again for your offer.

And also to you Mike Kohl for your explanations and expertise.

Attachments

• LNB_60e.jpg
    LNB_60e.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 185
So what I have is a 60E, here is a picture of the LNB decal on the back.

Mellaby I see your offer for help. That is very nice of you and if possible I will take you up on that. I am in the Mesa area, are you around there?

So do I need to get a new xLNB as well? If so I will just contact Shaw DirecTv and get them to change it out. Would I need to bring the dish down as well or is this something I can purchase in AZ from you or others?

Thanks again for your offer.

And also to you Mike Kohl for your explanations and expertise.
That dish and LNB is good for up in Canada. You'll need the new 75cm dish and 75cm xku lnb to match it. Bring that down to Mesa along with whatever receiver you have. I'm winter in Mesa. I'm not sure where you can get the equipment up here (maybe a ShawDirect installer).

That's the 60 cm dish. You need a 75cm dish and xLNB. Bring that down to AZ, and I'll help you out.
Hi Mellaby

I've had a bit of a delay getting the hardware down south. Apparently, I needed to fill out more paperwork, which I was unaware of. Hope to have it delivered next week. It is all shipped up and ready to go.

When will you be down in Arizona?

Hi Mellaby

I've had a bit of a delay getting the hardware down south. Apparently, I needed to fill out more paperwork, which I was unaware of. Hope to have it delivered next week. It is all shipped up and ready to go.

When will you be down in Arizona?
I'm leaving for AZ on Oct 31. Did the dish you sent down come with the wall mount? The wall mount for the 75 cm dish has a bigger diameter pipe.

Hi Mellaby

I was able to get it all installed and working fine now, using a local contractor. Thanks so much for the offer to help.

What a shame we can't get the second satellite coverage. I sure wish there were a way of getting it. Would like to subscribe to the Sunday Ticket but that is on the satellite we can't get.

Ferny

Would like to subscribe to the Sunday Ticket but that is on the satellite we can't get.
This is one of the reasons why the coverage isn't available in much of the US. DIRECTV has a US exclusive for NFL Sunday Ticket.

In the long term, the replacement for Anik F2 (now 17 years old) will probably be similarly restricted and Shaw service won't reach the lower two-thirds of the US.

Hi Mellaby

I was able to get it all installed and working fine now, using a local contractor. Thanks so much for the offer to help.

What a shame we can't get the second satellite coverage. I sure wish there were a way of getting it. Would like to subscribe to the Sunday Ticket but that is on the satellite we can't get.

Ferny
Thanks for letting me know. I put my tools and such away for the winter. Keep in touch, maybe we can get together for a visit.

Mike

This is one of the reasons why the coverage isn't available in much of the US. DIRECTV has a US exclusive for NFL Sunday Ticket.

In the long term, the replacement for Anik F2 (now 17 years old) will probably be similarly restricted and Shaw service won't reach the lower two-thirds of the US.
I one good thing down in the US, they broadcast NFL games off the air. With Off Air and TSN Ferny should have lots of games to watch.

one good thing down in the US, they broadcast NFL games off the air.
Most markets only carry a few of the games (up to three?). You're only assured to get your "local" team (the team that claims the area where you're located). If you're not a fan of the Arizona Cardinals, chances are you're not going to see "your" team unless they're playing the Cardinals.

Reactions: Foxbat