Mesh Router

Best Buy consultant came by today. He said the Mesh system I kind of like should do just fine. He, however, favors the eero system. So I have purchased me a Netgear Orbi WiFi System (RBK50) AC3000. Got it on sale at Best Buy. Going to install her tomorrow afternoon and will post back how goes it. Feels kind of strange changing from a Linksys system. I have used Linksys products for a long time now.

Orbi WiFi System (RBK50) AC3000 | NETGEAR

If you have a larger budget, take a look at the RT series of Routers and Mess points from Synology. Synology is the same company that delivers some of the fastest NAS systems on the marketplace.

I installed the RT2600ac MIMO router and a couple of MR2200ac mess points. I get easily 1GBS, on a system that supports the wireless 'ac' MIMO standard,

But don't have a heart attack, the router is about $200 at Amazon and the Mesh point runs around $139 each. Like I said, they are more of a pro-sumer devices but their operating systems supports external storage, DHCP, DNS Services. Basically the main router combines a commercial grade firewalll, Filtering for sites and child protection, with all the features of a Level 3 switch, wireless, wired and a router to boot!

Reactions: charlesrshell
Sorry I haven't posted sooner. Got my Netgear Orbi mesh system installed and she works great. The only thing I don't care for is you can't separate the 2.4 and 5 GHz with two different SSIDs. The router picks the best GHz to use under one SSID.

Reactions: JSheridan
Sorry I haven't posted sooner. Got my Netgear Orbi mesh system installed and she works great. The only thing I don't care for is you can't separate the 2.4 and 5 GHz with two different SSIDs. The router picks the best GHz to use under one SSID.

Sorry to hear you can't separate. The Synology has a option to do what you are seeing, or name each of the 4 networks you can create, Private 5Ghz, 2.4Ghz, Guest 5Ghz and Guest 2.4ghz. You can name any of the 4 anything you want, or even disable whichever one you want to not show. Of course, if you create a Guest network they only have access to the Internet and nothing on your internal network. Again, you can have the Guest's have access but flipping another switch.

So you can keep your Private passwords private and change the guest passwords whenever you like. You can even set a time limit per day, on how long a guest can remain connected to the network. It uses the MAC address so it's not like signing on or off again. You can even put up an Captured Network page that asks them for a password separate from the WAP password.

Sorry to hear you can't separate. The Synology has a option to do what you are seeing, or name each of the 4 networks you can create, Private 5Ghz, 2.4Ghz, Guest 5Ghz and Guest 2.4ghz. You can name any of the 4 anything you want, or even disable whichever one you want to not show. Of course, if you create a Guest network they only have access to the Internet and nothing on your internal network. Again, you can have the Guest's have access but flipping another switch.

So you can keep your Private passwords private and change the guest passwords whenever you like. You can even set a time limit per day, on how long a guest can remain connected to the network. It uses the MAC address so it's not like signing on or off again. You can even put up an Captured Network page that asks them for a password separate from the WAP password.
Sounds nice. The Orbi has the guest setup too.

Best Buy consultant came by today. He said the Mesh system I kind of like should do just fine. He, however, favors the eero system. So I have purchased me a Netgear Orbi WiFi System (RBK50) AC3000. Got it on sale at Best Buy. Going to install her tomorrow afternoon and will post back how goes it. Feels kind of strange changing from a Linksys system. I have used Linksys products for a long time now.

Orbi WiFi System (RBK50) AC3000 | NETGEAR

I have had Linksys for almost a year now and has performed great. Individual Comcast modem and WiFi modem. One medium range WiFi covers 1/2 acre. rural area of southern Indiana. Conflicts are rare.

That's how the Velop's are, too. They do all the work automatically

I've been using the Plume system for over a year (Plume Home WiFi). I find the system absolutely great. Big bonus feature I find is that there is no need to setup a guest network. Just by assigning different passwords you can give guests, full access to your network, access to specific devices only, or only access to the internent. You can create, enable, and disable passwords in seconds. Optional site security, ad blocking can be setup per device.