Messed up my "move"- is there a fix?

BinaryStar

Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
NE Ohio
It's no fun being a newbie. I thought I knew what I was doing when I moved my service address, but I messed up my HD locals.

I'm in the Akron, OH area and "moved" to a Pittsburgh suburb, so I went from spot beam 25 to 26 for HD locals. According to the spot beam maps, I'm between the blue and green zones in the beam, but when I check transponder 10 for satellite 129 I only have about a 10% signal. I'm assuming that my TurboHD dish isn't going to pull in the signal, but am I too far out to get a decent signal if I put my old 500 dish back up and point it to 129?

If I can't fix it and have to move back, can I expect to get a lot of grief from Dish? Thanks in advance for any help.

Can you see the SD locals on sat110 tp29? That spot beam has much better coverage in OH.

Thanks for the replies.

Voyager6 - I might be able to point to 77, I'll have to see if I can shoot over a nearby tree. One problem is there might be some other HD channels on 129 that I need (cinemax, etc.)

dare2be - I can see all the SD locals since they're on the CONUS beam, so they're not a problem. My issue is really the HD locals that are on 129.

If I'm near the edge of the beam for 129 is there any hope of pulling it in with my 500 dish? I'm assuming since I can point it at 77 then I can point it at 129 instead and add that LNB output to my TurboHD as an input?

The only CONUS locals (SD and HD) for the Pittsburgh market is on 77. If you are seeing SD Pittsburgh locals and are not pointed to 77 then those are on 110 spotbeam 09.

You would not want to switch 77 for 129. You would want to add 77 as a 4th satellite. Your lnb on the D1000 may have an input for the 4th sat. If not, you have to add a dpp44 switch.

Preferrably, instead of a 4th satellite, you could just switch over completely to eastern arc and get everything you need, depending on line of sight. But if that requires a tech visit, then you would have to "move" back to your actual address again beforehand, and then move back after you're set up.

Last edited:
Voyager6, my D1000 has an input for an LNB. Is there anything special I have to do to get the receiver to recognize it? I have the 500 dish plugged into that input and pointed roughly at 77 but when I go to the system set up it doesn't appear to see that I have another dish attached. Is that because I don't have it pointed properly? Is there a guide on-line that I can go to for this type of information?

Thanks.

PS - dare2be, I probably wouldn't go to the extent of bringing a tech in if I can't get this to work.

Voyager6, my D1000 has an input for an LNB. Is there anything special I have to do to get the receiver to recognize it? I have the 500 dish plugged into that input and pointed roughly at 77 but when I go to the system set up it doesn't appear to see that I have another dish attached. Is that because I don't have it pointed properly? Is there a guide on-line that I can go to for this type of information?

Thanks.

PS - dare2be, I probably wouldn't go to the extent of bringing a tech in if I can't get this to work.

You need to run a check switch to get the receiver to "see" the new sat input. Use the installation screen on the receiver to fine tune the sat.

Well, as it turns out I was able to pick up sat 77 but a tree is blocking part of it so the most signal I could coax out of it was a 32 - not enough to get the HD locals I need. So....I guess I'm going to Plan B if it makes sense.

If I'm getting 62% signal on spot beam 26 from sat 129 on my D1000.4 and I can't the Pittsburgh locals, is it possible that I could get enough signal if I pointed my 500 dish at it directly? I realize I'd have to cover the 129 LNB on the big dish. I screwed up big time with the wife and like to make it right if at all possible.

Just call and "move" back. I have done several "moves" to different cities and sometimes I change twice in the same week. DISH doesn't care. You can even do an online chat and do it online if you don't want to call and talk to someone on the phone.

I did my move via chat without a hitch. Just make it clear you want to change the service address only and leave the billing address alone.

Well, as it turns out I was able to pick up sat 77 but a tree is blocking part of it so the most signal I could coax out of it was a 32 - not enough to get the HD locals I need. So....I guess I'm going to Plan B if it makes sense.

If I'm getting 62% signal on spot beam 26 from sat 129 on my D1000.4 and I can't the Pittsburgh locals, is it possible that I could get enough signal if I pointed my 500 dish at it directly? I realize I'd have to cover the 129 LNB on the big dish. I screwed up big time with the wife and like to make it right if at all possible.
If you are looking at TP10 on 129 and getting 62%, then there is some other problem. Are you getting a 32% on TP2 on 77? That also should be high enough to get a proper signal. You may have to ask for a new "hit" on your receiver. With those signal levels, you should have the locals.

Yeah keep in mind your signal strength numbers on the EA are going to show as much lower than they will on the WA. 32 should be plenty to get you your programming.

Thanks Voyager6 - I was using incorrect information to gauge my signal strength. I'm actually getting the 32% on TP01 for 77, not TP02 (which is getting NO signal). On 129, the 62% was for TP26 not spotbeam 26. If I look at TP10, which is the one that should have spotbeam 26, I'm only getting 10%. All of these combined would explain why I can't get those HD locals. I'm going to try to point the 500 directly at 129, but I need to move it first since it's not located in an ideal spot for that right now.

Thanks Voyager6 - I was using incorrect information to gauge my signal strength. I'm actually getting the 32% on TP01 for 77, not TP02 (which is getting NO signal). On 129, the 62% was for TP26 not spotbeam 26. If I look at TP10, which is the one that should have spotbeam 26, I'm only getting 10%. All of these combined would explain why I can't get those HD locals. I'm going to try to point the 500 directly at 129, but I need to move it first since it's not located in an ideal spot for that right now.
I would try peaking for 77 first before moving the dish. Check the elevation and maybe go up or down a few degrees for more signal. Then, slowly adjust your azimuth from side to side by a slight bit and check the signal strength again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts