MeTV Ozarks?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hillsmi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
Michigan
A person has asked if MeTV Ozarks can be picked up FTA from 99.0W using an old GloryStar dish. Is this possible? and / or MeTV from 101.0?

Looking at some of the programs on MeTV Ozarks, it seems like those are cable reruns, which one would have to pay for.

If this is possible, a second dish for this 99.0W or 101.0W can be connected to a switch, and fed to the FTA receiver, correct? Am I thinking this through correctly?

He's got a Glorystar dish already (in FTA mode), so if he wanted to add a second dish at a different sat, he just needs a switch, to connect the two dishes to the receiver, and then run a new scan to pick up the extra channels from the 99.0 or 101.0 dish?

He's currently catching MeTV off of an aerial, but without good reception.

If I'm wrong here at all, please let me know, as I don't want to misdirect him in what he is able to achieve.

Thanks

A person has asked if MeTV Ozarks can be picked up FTA from 99.0W using an old GloryStar dish. Is this possible? and / or MeTV from 101.0?

Looking at some of the programs on MeTV Ozarks, it seems like those are cable reruns, which one would have to pay for.

If this is possible, a second dish for this 99.0W or 101.0W can be connected to a switch, and fed to the FTA receiver, correct? Am I thinking this through correctly?

He's got a Glorystar dish already (in FTA mode), so if he wanted to add a second dish at a different sat, he just needs a switch, to connect the two dishes to the receiver, and then run a new scan to pick up the extra channels from the 99.0 or 101.0 dish?

He's currently catching MeTV off of an aerial, but without good reception.

If I'm wrong here at all, please let me know, as I don't want to misdirect him in what he is able to achieve.

Thanks
seeing that metv ozark and metv on 101w are cband i would think a dish smaller than a 1.2m wouldn't receive them. i know that when i had my 1.2m and was using it as a mini bud i could receive both most of the time but i was using the c1-pll lnb

Glad to see someone is picking up my Springfield Missouri locals FTA! I was in the other locals for here are FTA as well?*Assume* I know they serve a large DNA area. I would assume that's how it is done for things like hotels that I've been to in Lake of the Ozarks etc.?*DMA*

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

A DISEqC switch should be all that you'd need to set up a second dish, but, as Jmc98 said, MeTV on 99W and 101W are both C band, so it would have to be a big enough dish to receive C band and also have a C band LNB/LNBF on it.

Thanks

What size is the old Glorystar dish that he's thinking of using?

It is one of the original Glorystar dishes that is about 3ft in diameter. I won't be able to measure the dish until later today, but it is rather large. It has the double LNB bracket on the end of the arm. I looked up the manual for the Glorystar dsr100c install here - http://satelliteav.com/portal/11/documents/DVR_DSR_Series_v1.2_LoRes.pdf - but the manual does not state the size of the dish. Makes a reference to a 36" dish in the install section.

I am currently using a GeoSatPro 1.2M dish with a Titanium PLL LNB. It is just big enough to pull in both MeTV and the Ozark FOX affiliate station for a good clear picture and sound from the 99W C-Band satellite. But once any clouds start to move in, the signal goes out completely; even if it was a partly sunny day. Which tells me my dish is just big enough to bring in that signal. I have to wait for a perfectly clear sunny day to bring in part of the channels that get wiped out. I wouldn't know if a 3 foot diameter dish would be big enough, I live in Lexington, KY. by the way; so it depends where you live too in relation to the satellite footprint. :)

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

90 cm [3 foot] would probably be a bit too small.

A 1m dish is roughly 3.5 feet and a 1.2 m is about 4 feet, I haven't heard of anyone using less than a 1 m dish to receive C band other than for experimenting, a 3' dish probably wouldn't hold the signal well, especially when the weather is bad. When you measure it and know for sure what size it is, post it up.

On the site for the company that actually broadcast off of 101W, they suggest a 1.2 m or bigger in the continental USA, bigger elsewhere. I don't know for sure about 99W, but I'd assume it's probably the same.

The site I use for the 99W C-Band footprint says you will need a 3.5 foot dish at the very least for the most sections of the country. It would be better to go with a 1.2M or 4 foot dish just to be sure you give yourself enough room for error depending on where you live exactly. :)

Those footprint maps are estimates based on a fully saturated full-bandwidth transponder for all transponders. Rarely do these indicate the actual size required for a specific feed. The broadcaster's link budget determines this and are not usually available to the public.

The footprint maps do not take into consideration the link budget variables such as FEC, bandwidth, signal to noise threshold, etc. A broadcaster's choice affects the downlink equipment requirements. A fat, low FEC and powerful signal will usually be available with a much smaller dish and lower performance feed and electronics. A skinny, high FEC and lower power signal may require a much larger dish and higher performance feed and electronics.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts