Mexican Christmas/New Year's Dinner

tigerprowler

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 23, 2009
Mallory's World
Ok, after 3 Thanksgiving's, we have decided we are tired of turkey and ham. So for HIFI's side of the family, we all decided we would do mexican food. I was given the duty of developing the menu. So far this is what I have:

Main Course
Taco's (obviously :D)
Enchiladas
Enchilada Casserole
Chimichangas (sp?)
Fajitas
quesadillas

Sides/Snacks
Refried Beans
Taco Salad
Cornbread
Nachos
chips and salsa

Desserts
Fried Bananas
Fruit Empanadas
Chocolate Cinnamon Pie
Dessert Tacos
Mexican Cookie Rings

All together there are 19 of us eating, and we are doing our Christmas with his family on New Year's Eve, so there will also be drinking. We will probably do an early afternoon meal, then we open presents and then the kids go play and the adults sit around the table drinking and playing games. It's always a great time. We usually leave whatever food we didn't eat at dinner out, to snack on throughout the evening, unless it needs to be put in the fridge to stay edible.

What I need from you guys is some input on the menu stuff. I think it looks good, but is there something I'm missing or is it too much? I don't want to make too much, but also I want to make sure we will have enough. I have to split this four ways, with me and my sister in law doing most of the actual cooking and my other SIL and MIL doing the relatively easy things because they aren't as adventurous in the kitchen.

Thanks in advance for any advice. YAY for tacos!! :D

I think the enchiladas and enchilada casserole are overkill, Mallory. One or the other would suffice. Chimichangas (and you spelled it correctly :)) are a great idea. You might think about chili rellenos and maybe chili verde. Mmmmmmm..:hungry:

Around these parts....

Chili verde is green chile (sauce), what you put on top of enchiladas, and rellenos! Yum!

Green chile stew is a whole 'nother delight.

That is one thing I discovered, Colorado Mexican food is different than Southern NM/West Texas, (more Spanish / Native American influence imho, like northern NM) San Antonio Mexican food is a whole different ball game (Tex-Mex), been so long not sure what California Mexican food is like, (probably more like Southern NM) haven't had any authentic Nevada Mexican food (Vegas is in it's own world... ;))..

I think the enchiladas and enchilada casserole are overkill, Mallory. One or the other would suffice. Chimichangas (and you spelled it correctly :)) are a great idea. You might think about chili rellenos and maybe chili verde. Mmmmmmm..:hungry:
Well, HIFI loves enchilada casserole, my enchiladas not so much.

Or change to 1 pan green, 1 pan red... ;) looks like the type plan I like, nothing on that menu I wouldn't eat.... :D
I don't think I make enchiladas like I should because I have no idea how to make green or red. How I make enchiladas as I was taught by my sister: make taco meat, roll up in tortillas, mix cream of mushroom soup and sour cream with a dash of milk, then pour mixture over rolled up tortillas, cover with cheese, bake for thirty minutes. My family loves these, HIFI will eat them, and likes them, but not as much as the casserole.

You NEED green chile stew on there!!
I have no idea what this is. Please don't be offended by my next comment. I'm a white chick, and I live in the middle of Kansas. Not exactly the best place to find great mexican food, unless Taco Bueno cuts it. LOL! Would love to have a recipe, if you don't mind sharing. We are always up for new stuff, and I would like to make it to try for myself before I take it to the in-laws. :D

Around these parts....

Chili verde is green chile (sauce), what you put on top of enchiladas, and rellenos! Yum!

Green chile stew is a whole 'nother delight.

That is one thing I discovered, Colorado Mexican food is different than Southern NM/West Texas, (more Spanish / Native American influence imho, like northern NM) San Antonio Mexican food is a whole different ball game (Tex-Mex), been so long not sure what California Mexican food is like, (probably more like Southern NM) haven't had any authentic Nevada Mexican food (Vegas is in it's own world... ;))..

Yep, Fergie is right. What Yaz is thinking of as chili verde is what I call chile verde salsa. Now, you add some pork meat to that salsa and you are on your way to what I call chili verde and he calls green chili stew.

Well, HIFI loves enchilada casserole, my enchiladas not so much.

I don't think I make enchiladas like I should because I have no idea how to make green or red. How I make enchiladas as I was taught by my sister: make taco meat, roll up in tortillas, mix cream of mushroom soup and sour cream with a dash of milk, then pour mixture over rolled up tortillas, cover with cheese, bake for thirty minutes. My family loves these, HIFI will eat them, and likes them, but not as much as the casserole.
We always had stacked enchilada's, my Mom would heat the red sauce and dip the tortillas in then place in a pan or plate (making singles), add meat then add another layer pouring sauce over each time with cheese and a egg on top. My Aunt rolls them and uses green chile sauce & mushroom soup mix, rolling the meat in the tortilla (not sure if she puts in sauce or not before rolling) then the sauce & cheese (and oven). My method for red & green is to stack, (I have rolled), for red I get red sauce, for green I use mushroom soup mixed with Herdez Salsa verde with diced green chiles. I have made chicken green enchiladas & rolled (shredding the meat).

From Food Network:

Chili Verde Recipe : : Food Network

This is a quick and dirty version, but tasty...

Thanks!

We always had stacked enchilada's, my Mom would heat the red sauce and dip the tortillas in then place in a pan or plate (making singles), add meat then add another layer pouring sauce over each time with cheese and a egg on top. My Aunt rolls them and uses green chile sauce & mushroom soup mix, rolling the meat in the tortilla (not sure if she puts in sauce or not before rolling) then the sauce & cheese (and oven). My method for red & green is to stack, (I have rolled), for red I get red sauce, for green I use mushroom soup mixed with Herdez Salsa verde with diced green chiles. I have made chicken green enchiladas & rolled (shredding the meat).
I'll have to try making them like this. It sounds good and I think HIFI would like them more this way. Thanks!

I asked my sister about tamales, they are not big fans and I don't know cuz I've never had them. So far, she likes everything that I have on the menu, now we just have to decide who is making what. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)