Mexico signal issues

Did you guys lose 14 and 21 today?

Cancun, Mexico. High, light clouds. 9:21 CDT
1.1 Meter dish, dual LNB for 110 and 119

Transponder, Signal, Status

TP 13>>>>>>14>>>>>>Locked
TP 14>>>>>>21>>>>>>Locked
TP 21>>>>>>16>>>>>>Locked

Went through another LOS of TP 13 at 9:00 CDT which lasted just a few minutes.

May I ask why you asked about 14 and 21?

1.-The advantage you have is you are receiving 8 TP they must be beaming them at double power, the other 8 must be beamed single power.

Can someone confirm that?

I remember DirecTV doing that back before their new SAT went in to service at 101 about 5-7 years ago; that’s when I switched to DISH. I seem to remember the justification was a mechanical malfunction that forced them to do that.

If they are operating like that...
Why would DISH be doing that with E14?
Will they boost the other 8 to double, decrease the current 8 operating at double power to single or stay as is?

14 and 21 moved to 7/8 FEC this morning, offering more usable bandwidth but making it harder to lock in the fringe areas since there are less "error bits" for your receiver to correct the signal.

Everything is the same in Merida.

As of this morning nothing has changed for me. I am still receiving TP 8,9,12,13,16,17,20,21. On TP 10,11,15,18,19 the signal shows for second and then goes away. I have tried to repoint my dish but no success.

Satellite Dish

Do you know whether or not your antenna is Metal. I have a 1.8 fiberglass antenna and I lost half of the transponders. I live between Cancun & Merida and I should be able to get the same readings as Cancun.

Thanks Ml460

Do you know whether or not your antenna is Metal. I have a 1.8 fiberglass antenna and I lost half of the transponders. I live between Cancun & Merida and I should be able to get the same readings as Cancun.

Thanks Ml460
Metal. Have you checked the latest footprint map? I have a feeling I'll be in the market for a bigger dish on the morning of June17th.

Metal. Have you checked the latest footprint map? I have a feeling I'll be in the market for a bigger dish on the morning of June17th.

No I haven't , I am really ignorant when it comes to this satellite situation and that includes reading maps. LOL. Do you know if you have anyone in Cancun that sells a 1.8 or 2.0 metal dish? The 1.8 fiberglass just is not getting the job done. I called my installer and he told me that I need to think about going to the Canadian System but I don't want to do that if anyway possible. I am not sure what is happening on June 17th, I was under the impression that the last of the adjustments was done on June 10th, can you enlighten me.

Thanks ML460

No I haven't , I am really ignorant when it comes to this satellite situation and that includes reading maps. LOL. Do you know if you have anyone in Cancun that sells a 1.8 or 2.0 metal dish? The 1.8 fiberglass just is not getting the job done. I called my installer and he told me that I need to think about going to the Canadian System but I don't want to do that if anyway possible. I am not sure what is happening on June 17th, I was under the impression that the last of the adjustments was done on June 10th, can you enlighten me.

Thanks ML460

According to Digiblur, one of the key contributors to this site, the last changes will take place on June 16/17 with changes to the FEC of the remaining unchanged transponders on Echo*14. If all this is greek to you, don't worry. Check your private messages for info on help in Cancun.

No big change in Cancun, either. Since the migration to E*14 TP 7, 9 and 13 seem to be unavailable until late in the day and then become available until well past midnight. TP 8 is unavailable this morning. I'll have to see if it appears later today.

I'm still puzzled as to why a transponder can be unavailable at certain hours and then suddenly become available at other hours. Is the elevation of the satellite from here in Mexico so low on the horizon that part of the satellite is physically blocked until certain orbital irregularities come into play? My antenna is pointed almost horizontally. Could that be a clue?

It's over the equator

No big change in Cancun, either. Since the migration to E*14 TP 7, 9 and 13 seem to be unavailable until late in the day and then become available until well past midnight. TP 8 is unavailable this morning. I'll have to see if it appears later today.

I'm still puzzled as to why a transponder can be unavailable at certain hours and then suddenly become available at other hours. Is the elevation of the satellite from here in Mexico so low on the horizon that part of the satellite is physically blocked until certain orbital irregularities come into play? My antenna is pointed almost horizontally. Could that be a clue?

Since the sat is over the equator at 22,300 miles then a dish would be look pretty close to horz to get it. How many degree above the horz is it actually? When I use dish pointer Mexico City show an elevation of almost 58 degrees above the horz. So that wouldn't be looking that close to the horz I think. That would be more than 30 above it. So are you using and offset type dish if you are it will look more like it is seeing the horz when it is really 22.5 above it.

Since the sat is over the equator at 22,300 miles then a dish would be look pretty close to horz to get it. How many degree above the horz is it actually? When I use dish pointer Mexico City show an elevation of almost 58 degrees above the horz. So that wouldn't be looking that close to the horz I think. That would be more than 30 above it. So are you using and offset type dish if you are it will look more like it is seeing the horz when it is really 22.5 above it.

Your Location Satellite Data Dish Setup Data
Latitude: 21.1590°
Longitude: -86.8459° Name: 119.0W DirecTV 7S | Echostar 7
Distance: 37337km Motor Latitude: 21.2°
Declination Angle: 3.6°
Dish Elevation: °
Elevation: 46.1°
Azimuth (true): 240.1°
Azimuth (magn.): 241.0°
LNB Skew [?]: 54.0° Dish Skew [?]: 90.0°

This has nothing to do with blockage, also has nothing to do with how horizontal your antenna is.

The answer has to do with the natural movements that all Geo satellites do and that the downlink antennas are aimed to serve the intended area so that you will notice it more in a period of time, satellites move like a figure 8 in a daily basis. People within the intended area will not suffer this effect, the effect is noticed more by users located in fringe.

For more deep explanation on natural movements of satellites in Geo-Orbit:

Extracted from wikipedia:

A perfect stable geostationary orbit is an ideal that can only be approximated. In practice the satellite drifts out of this orbit (because of perturbations such as the solar wind, radiation pressure, variations in the Earth's gravitational field, and the gravitational effect of the Moon and Sun), and thrusters are used to maintain the orbit in a process known as station-keeping.

Drift pressures are significant if uncorrected. East-West drift occurs because the equator is not perfectly circular, so satellites drift slowly towards one of two longitudinal stable points. Solar radiation pressure, caused by the transfer of momentum from the Sun’s light and infrared radiation, periodically flattens and disturbs the orientation of the orbit. Other factors, such as local irregularities in the gravitational field, also contribute less systematically to drift pressures.

Due to luni-solar perturbations and the ellipticity of the Earth equator, an object placed in a GEO without any station-keeping would not stay there. It would start building up inclination at an initial rate of about 0.85 degrees per year. After 26.5 years the object would have an inclination of 15 degrees, decreasing back to zero after another 26.5 years.Therefore, a lot of energy has to be devoted to maneuvers that compensate this tendency. This part of the GEO station-keeping is called North-South control.

Part of GEO station-keeping, called East-West control, requires significantly less fuel than North-South control, so some aging satellites are only East-West controlled. This still guarantees that the satellite is always visible to a permanent parabolic antenna. (no need for Steerable antenna while communicating with a Geo-Stationary Satellite, because the satellite exists in one permanent spot above the earth).

Thank you Rafaelccs. For the first time, this is clear to me. And thanks to the rest for their answers as well. Much appreciated.

It is very easy to visulize if you picture the signal from the satellite like a flashlight.
They might adjust this after all manuvers at the very end of the satellite swap.
Also I must add not all 16 CONUS transponder can be beamed at double power, they have to extend the satellites life as much as possible (15+ years) therefore what is normally implemented is 8 @ double power and 8 @ single power....
That is the only explanation you can reach specially when you have some with high levels and others with low.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)