MGM, Smithsonian etc

Status
Please reply by conversation.

VocalFiremedic

Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
How do I get Universal, MGM and Smithsonian and the new channels they added in HD. I had them originally, but now they aren't part of my package. I don't see what package they are a part of on the Directv site.

All HD channels that don't have a SD counterpart such as these 2 are now part of the the HD Extra Pack which costs an additional $5 per month.

Not completely true - HD Theater & HD Net are NOT part of the HD Extra Pack & do not have SD counterparts...

Wasn't that because of a lawsuit that was won so the channel didn't get moved to the HD Extra Pack which would have potentially caused a lot less viewers?

That was true for HDNet. HD Theater's owner is connected to the same company that now owns D*.
There was articles about it a long time ago on multichannel news

The HD Extra Pack includes:

HD Net Movies
Universal HD
MGM HD
Smithsonian HD
MHD

It's worth the $5/mo to me. I found that I was watching more movies on HD Net Movies and MGM HD than on Starz, so dropped that and am saving $7. As more HD channels are added, presumably some of them may be added to the Extra Pack.

Wasn't that because of a lawsuit that was won so the channel didn't get moved to the HD Extra Pack which would have potentially caused a lot less viewers?

Only on HD Net - the story on HD Theater is that because Discovery does NOT charge D* specifically for this channel, it is part of the basic HD tier. (NOT on the xtra pak)

It's worth the $5/mo to me. I found that I was watching more movies on HD Net Movies and MGM HD than on Starz, so dropped that and am saving $7. As more HD channels are added, presumably some of them may be added to the Extra Pack.

And it's a LOT better deal than what our local Comcast offering is - they now want $7 JUST for HD Net & HD Movies; no other HD is part of their "extra pak".

For me, HD Theater by itself is worth the $5/mo. Smithsonian an HDNet are bonus. HDNet for sports (occasional basketball/soccer/hockey game) and Smithsonian when I need to reset the "culture meter".

I don't see the value of the HD Extra pack yet but I'm sure more stations will be comming to it soon.

The extra pack really does not have anything I miss, Planet Green might draw me in. Would have to see what the programmings like though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts