MHz Worldview is going away 9/30/2019

MarcK

Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 26, 2018
California
MHz Worldview (channel 2183) is leaving DirecTV on 9/30/2019. That may leave channel 43 (KPJK) in the San Francisco bay area as a DirecTV access point. The mysteries are available on MHz Choice (internet).

Not that I want to go to Dish, but MHz is the only reason I stayed with DirecTV.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
International channels are moving to either 99 or 103.

They already did, months ago. Currently they are on 99cr reverse band, but they'll move them to Ka very soon. Once T15 is back at 103 they'll activate 103ca tpns 1-8 which will give them room to move the international channels and Spanish stuff from 119 from 99cr to 103ca. That means that every HD customer will be able to receive them - currently they can only be seen by those with a reverse band LNB which most customers don't have (but it made sense since it allowed them to do use a SL3RB LNB for every new customer)

Getting rid of MHz Worldview has nothing to do with the 95/99cr/103ca dance. No idea why they're dropping it, but it isn't because of satellite changes.

They already did, months ago. Currently they are on 99cr reverse band, but they'll move them to Ka very soon. Once T15 is back at 103 they'll activate 103ca tpns 1-8 which will give them room to move the international channels and Spanish stuff from 119 from 99cr to 103ca. That means that every HD customer will be able to receive them - currently they can only be seen by those with a reverse band LNB which most customers don't have (but it made sense since it allowed them to do use a SL3RB LNB for every new customer)

Getting rid of MHz Worldview has nothing to do with the 95/99cr/103ca dance. No idea why they're dropping it, but it isn't because of satellite changes.
The only thing is as posted on the edgecutter forum, there is no indication yet of 103(ca) future channel placeholders placed in the NIT stream for the International channels from 95W on 99(cr). Only the 119W Spanish and International ones there.

This is why kyl416 thinks the A3 mirrors from 95W will likely remain on RB at 99(cr). Since the WD service is really a niche product with a much smaller subscriber base. So easy to eventually convert all their subs. to RB LNBs before turning off the original feeds from 95W.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

The only thing is as posted on the edgecutter forum, there is no indication yet of 103(ca) future channel placeholders placed in the NIT stream for the International channels from 95W on 99(cr). Only the 119W Spanish and International ones there.

This is why kyl416 thinks the A3 mirrors from 95W will likely remain on RB at 99(cr). Since the WD service is really a niche product with a much smaller subscriber base. So easy to eventually convert all their subs. to RB LNBs before turning off the original feeds from 95W.

That would be a LOT of visits even if only 1% of customers have it that's 200K customers. Doesn't make much sense when it would be easy to simply move them to Ka and not require visits for ANY of them since they ALL have a Slimline even SD only customers. Maybe the moves of 119's mirror take precedence for some reason. Not sure why since even if all SD only Spanish customers were already upgraded all that would buy is shutting down the 7 CONUS tpns on 119.

Unless they have some sort of agreement to vacate those (i.e. some backdoor deal with Dish) by a certain date, I'm not sure why they should care about clearing those. I suppose they could eliminate the SL5 entirely from firmware at that, since no HD receiver would ever have reason to see 119. Maybe that benefits them somehow...or there could be an angle I haven't considered.

I don't think they introduced the RB mirror for 95 and 119 at the same time did they? Didn't they do one first, then the other?

That would be a LOT of visits even if only 1% of customers have it that's 200K customers. Doesn't make much sense when it would be easy to simply move them to Ka and not require visits for ANY of them since they ALL have a Slimline even SD only customers. Maybe the moves of 119's mirror take precedence for some reason. Not sure why since even if all SD only Spanish customers were already upgraded all that would buy is shutting down the 7 CONUS tpns on 119.

Unless they have some sort of agreement to vacate those (i.e. some backdoor deal with Dish) by a certain date, I'm not sure why they should care about clearing those. I suppose they could eliminate the SL5 entirely from firmware at that, since no HD receiver would ever have reason to see 119. Maybe that benefits them somehow...or there could be an angle I haven't considered.

I don't think they introduced the RB mirror for 95 and 119 at the same time did they? Didn't they do one first, then the other?
From what I recall, the 95W channel A3 mirrors were added first to the NIT stream for 99(cr). And then the 119's.

So granted even though in this case it would then be the reverse for later NIT entries of the 95W A3 mirrors for 103(ca). It certainly could happen.

But if DIRECTV intends to do so, it's strangely taking much longer to add them to the NIT than when the 119W A3 mirrors were later added to 99(cr) after the 95W A3 mirrors.

From what I recall, the 95W channel A3 mirrors were added first to the NIT stream for 99(cr). And then the 119's.

So granted even though in this case it would then be the reverse for later NIT entries of the 95W A3 mirrors for 103(ca). It certainly could happen.

But if DIRECTV intends to do so, it's strangely taking much longer to add them to the NIT than when the 119W A3 mirrors were later added to 99(cr) after the 95W A3 mirrors.

Guess we'll have to see, but thinking about it you're probably right. Could be they won't bother to move the mirror for 119 until they have all the 119 locals shut down, which looks to be sometime next year. They can't shut down the satellite/location until all those spot beams are shut off, so I guess what's the point of moving the mirror now? The only thing they might gain by moving it right away is existing customers who have an SL3 w/o RB who want to add the Spanish package would need a truck roll. I'm guessing most people who receive that package add it when they subscribe, not as a later add on, so we may be talking about less a dozen customers a month or something like that.

With nothing (eventually) on 95, would they need MHZ (or INC) for the quota anymore? With all the satellite shuffling, how will that effect the PI quota for the PIs on 119? I am guessing that they will still need to have some of them to fill some PI for the new channels on 103.

With nothing (eventually) on 95, would they need MHZ (or INC) for the quota anymore? With all the satellite shuffling, how will that effect the PI quota for the PIs on 119? I am guessing that they will still need to have some of them to fill some PI for the new channels on 103.

It doesn't matter where the channels are, they need to fill that quota. Moving them around (or temporarily duplicating them like they are now) doesn't change that math. Similarly, having SD duplicates doesn't raise your quota because those are the same channel as the HD one.

Yeah ...

Understandable ...

And unless you have either a 95W international dish or a Reverse Band capable LNB to receive ch. 2183. You might have never even received it to begin with ....

The international mysteries are available via intermet and MHz Choice. I first heard of MHz when one of the local community college stations started carrying programming on a side channel. Then I discovered that my subscription to DirecTV covered that channel, but a separate dish and combiner was required. I was charged $25 for the installation (dish and all). If you are into really good mysteries, and don't mind reading subtitles, try MHz Choice.

I wish they would stop all the shows and just show news from around the world. It is impossible to follow a show in just subtitles, despite my attempts. It's true that those shows have great potential, but it's really hard to read and watch at the same time. It's worse than closed captioning in that you HAVE to read it and can't try to ignore it, even though they both cover the part you're trying to watch or they're referring to... At least the MHz subtitles aren't way behind...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)