Microsoft in Talks For Blu-ray Xbox 360

Heavie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 20, 2004
Maryland
Sony seems to be in talks with Microsoft about offering a Blu-ray drive for the Xbox 360, Steve Balmer almost admitted yesterday speaking in Las Vegas.

Microsoft's move was expected since Toshiba decided to stop advancing the HD DVD technology last month. Microsoft has backed Toshiba's HD-DVD format and offered an external HD-DVD drive that can be plugged into the 360.

In its Thusday afternoon keynote at MIX 08, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer said that the company moves on and supports Blu-ray.

"We've already been working on, for example, in Windows, device driver support for Blu-ray drives and the like, and I think the world moves on. Toshiba has moved on. We've moved on, and we'll support Blu-ray in ways that make sense."

Balmer's statement comes just one day after a Sony executive hinted that his company is in talks with console rival Microsoft about offering a Blu-ray drive for the Xbox 360, in an interview with Financial Times.

Microsoft did to confirm any talks, saying that they have not made any official move to Blu-ray.

A Blu-ray drive in a 360 would make Microsoft more competitive with the PS3, but it would also mean extra revenues for Sony?s electronics division.

Microsoft in Talks For Blu-ray Xbox 360

It can only make it more competitive with the PS3 if the price for the XBOX360 drops significantly. Because you have to compete with a PS3 at $399 that already includes the BD drive. It is going to be hard for M$ to offer a comparable package.

IMO, it's just a sexy headline, people are taking the confirmed 'we will support Blu-Ray' comments way out of context and applying it to suit their argument.

There is just as much proof that they will develop an addon BD player for the Zune as there is they'd make one for the 360.

If anything, I'd expect the next 360 (2010?) to support BD before a new SKU is created, prices will be reasonable enough that it wont make its inclusion a burden on console pricing.

No, think about it, if MS doesnt go with a new hd dvd player format then what do you think will happen? Before blue-ray came out as the winner I was looking to get a 360 and an add on drive but why go that route now when toshiba threw in the towel and ms wont have anymore players, I'll just wait a bit longer till I can get a used ps3 from game stop and watch blue-rays.

No, think about it, if MS doesnt go with a new hd dvd player format then what do you think will happen? Before blue-ray came out as the winner I was looking to get a 360 and an add on drive but why go that route now when toshiba threw in the towel and ms wont have anymore players, I'll just wait a bit longer till I can get a used ps3 from game stop and watch blue-rays.

I am sorry, I thought I was posting in the video game forum.

With something like 300k total HDDVD drives in the wild for the 360, compared to the more than 17 million 360s that have been sold, your opinion is in the very very small minority.

'Think about it'

The NPD numbers are out for March, 1.1 million games sold for the 360 in the top 10. DMC4 reminded a few PS3 owners that their BD player can take spiffy $60 discs called games, and so it popped into the top 10. Like all PS3 titles though, that will be a brief trip and it will poof next month while the 360 version will retain decent sales.

Betamax? Are you kidding me?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)