Microsoft makes big announcement- audience falls asleep

rockymtnhigh said:
Microsoft Office for iPad is due out in the fall.

But seriously - the iPad is not intended to be a laptop-replacement for Word and Excel. Pages for iPad is not bad, but it won't solve his compatibility issues.

I thought it was supposed to come out in 2013. This Fall would be even better!
iPad will not replace the laptop, but having a full-featured Office Suite on the iPad will allow me to pull out the laptop much less often while on the road.

Sent from my iPad 3 using SatelliteGuys

I thought it was supposed to come out in 2013. This Fall would be even better!
iPad will not replace the laptop, but having a full-featured Office Suite on the iPad will allow me to pull out the laptop much less often while on the road.

Sent from my iPad 3 using SatelliteGuys

I am pretty sure it was the fall - i.e., November. But who knows, I could be wrong.

Yes, November 10 is now being mentioned as a potential release date.

I wonder if this will have a negative effect on the Surface tablet sales?

Yes, November 10 is now being mentioned as a potential release date.

I wonder if this will have a negative effect on the Surface tablet sales?

Oh, I am sure they will still Surface tablets to the 7 people in America who do not yet own iPads. :)

To replace a laptop, $600 is less than I've paid previously, so I don't think that's out of line. I type over 90 words a minute, so I'd much prefer a "real" keyboard. I haven't considered an iPad. I still think of those as a means to some entertainment, not what I need. I can get most of what an iPad does on my android phone.

As a member of the "audience," I'm not sleeping. :D

To replace a laptop, $600 is less than I've paid previously, so I don't think that's out of line. I type over 90 words a minute, so I'd much prefer a "real" keyboard. I haven't considered an iPad. I still think of those as a means to some entertainment, not what I need. I can get most of what an iPad does on my android phone.

As a member of the "audience," I'm not sleeping. :D

Problem is that the $600 model is not going to come even close as a laptop replacement. If you want to even think of a laptop replacement you will need to upgrade to the pro model and that isn't going to be cheap.

I also have no idea what your statement on how fast you type comes into play. The iPad can easily have an external keyboard attached for those that need one. Only thing that Microsoft has done that is interesting is integrate the keyboard with the smart cover but there are many cases for the iPad that comes with a keyboard for those that want it integrated and portable.

Problem is that the $600 model is not going to come even close as a laptop replacement. If you want to even think of a laptop replacement you will need to upgrade to the pro model and that isn't going to be cheap.

I also have no idea what your statement on how fast you type comes into play. The iPad can easily have an external keyboard attached for those that need one. Only thing that Microsoft has done that is interesting is integrate the keyboard with the smart cover but there are many cases for the iPad that comes with a keyboard for those that want it integrated and portable.

That doesn't really counter what he said, hence the phrase $600 is less than paid previously... making the pro still an option.

The iPad isn't and has never tried to be a laptop replacement outside of many high level needs where a laptop was previously appropriate. The pro tablet has the potential to be one though, through and through.

We will see. Maybe we will be remembering it as another Zune/Bob type product. Let's see, Microsoft in the hardware world has produced mice and keyboards. This is a big step for them, in more ways than one. And I'm sure their partners will be "inspired" all right - inspired to not compete with Microsoft by bringing out their own Windows tablets.

It might work out. But it sure seems a day late and a dollar short. It seems, more than anything else, to be FUD tactics in a bid to buy time. That article was a good read, pointed out things I never considered.

To be honest Microsoft is not going to build these things. they are following the Apple model and designing a product and letting a Chinese firm (I think Pegatron which sounds like a transformer villain to me but is a manufacturing company) build it.

BNut i don't think they have released final specs or pricing so we don't know much about the capabilities orvalue here.

That doesn't really counter what he said, hence the phrase $600 is less than paid previously... making the pro still an option.

The iPad isn't and has never tried to be a laptop replacement outside of many high level needs where a laptop was previously appropriate. The pro tablet has the potential to be one though, through and through.

Point is the current estimated price is already more than you can get a laptop that would be comparable to the pro model and that one won't run any standard windows apps. I see the pro model being to expensive to be a laptop replacement for 95% of the user base.

Point is the current estimated price is already more than you can get a laptop that would be comparable to the pro model and that one won't run any standard windows apps. I see the pro model being to expensive to be a laptop replacement for 95% of the user base.

Re-read your post... how many comparable touch screen laptops are priced in the Ultrabook range? Are all ultrabooks too expensive for 95% of the user base?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I see ultrabooks in the $800 to $1200 range. Not sure what touch does to the price. I know there isa lot of speculation about Surface prices but i think they need to bea bit cheaper than ultrabooks and ipads to make sense. I have no idea if i would buy one until we know more about them.

To be honest Microsoft is not going to build these things. they are following the Apple model and designing a product and letting a Chinese firm (I think Pegatron which sounds like a transformer villain to me but is a manufacturing company) build it.

BNut i don't think they have released final specs or pricing so we don't know much about the capabilities orvalue here.

Oh, I agree. But it seems hardware, regardless, is not their forte'.

someone who does remote system support on a regular basis, the pro tablet could be excellent for my day to day at work computing needs.

some of that would hinge on ram, whether or not it can drive external monitors , wired ethernet options et cetera. I don't do any heavy graphics work, so a dual core I 5 would handle my compute needs.

startup time, and standby or sleep mode battery life are very important.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Re-read your post... how many comparable touch screen laptops are priced in the Ultrabook range? Are all ultrabooks too expensive for 95% of the user base?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

To expensive as in what most are willing to spend.

someone who does remote system support on a regular basis, the pro tablet could be excellent for my day to day at work computing needs.

some of that would hinge on ram, whether or not it can drive external monitors , wired ethernet options et cetera. I don't do any heavy graphics work, so a dual core I 5 would handle my compute needs.

startup time, and standby or sleep mode battery life are very important.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

An iPad handles all of my needs in this regards as well. ;)

Isn't there an adapter to connect to USB? Or is it an adapter to connect to an adapter to USB? ;)

I've got to give this one to Micro$oft. Having direct, standard ports is nice. Very nice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)