Microsoft prepping component to HDMI adapter?

LOBO2999

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 1, 2004
Cumming, GA
Friendly tipster Evan M wasn't too stoked to see an Xbox 360 Elite headed for store shelves after he'd just purchased a Premium 360, especially considering the fact that his TV has a whole HDMI port twiddling its thumbs, just waiting to get its game on. After informing Microsoft of his displeasure through what we're sure was a politely worded email, Evan claims to have received a slightly encouraging response from a Microsoft support person, promising an upcoming HDMI to component adapter for the 'box to make his situation perhaps a bit more bearable. Unfortunately, the support person also mentioned that "we do not have information as of the moment if the cable will be sold separately," which might mean such an adapter is only destined for sales with some sort of updated Premium SKU, at least for the immediate future. We'll keep our eyes peeled.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/29/microsoft-prepping-component-to-hdmi-adapter/

It seems unlikely that this would even be possible...
The conversion process would have to be handled by something ridiculously powerful and expensive...

Perhaps the answer is not just in the converter, but in a firmware upgrade that would alter how the video signal is sent so that the converter would output a true digital signal...

Then again, maybe they were just placating this guy.

Why would it have to be "ridiculously" powerful? I know of a few DVD-recorders out there that allow component input and output the singal over HDMI. RCA and Pioneer both make one (can't remember model numbers off the top of my head)

There are some standalone devices out there for about $100 that do it. But I'm sure those have some nice markup on them since they are unique.

Last edited:
What's the point of releasing this adapter for component to HDMI??

What benefit would it give?

My 57" Mitsu will only accept 1080p on it's 2 HDMI inputs. It does 480i(p), 720p, and 1080i on it's components.

But, the TV itself upconverts everything to 1080p. I think most if not all 1080p TVs do this.

I just don't see the point. Won't content suffer quality if it's converted from analog to digital?

the Ahole that is, by the way is he making nice with the kitten? I would be one, if I needed HDMI would just get the new one coming out, sell your old one, get the new one and call it a day, as I just dont see the point in buying something like this, with who knows what kind of results, but we will see it could just be a rumour.

Why would it have to be "ridiculously" powerful? I know of a few DVD-recorders out there that allow component input and output the singal over HDMI. RCA and Pioneer both make one (can't remember model numbers off the top of my head)

There are some standalone devices out there for about $100 that do it. But I'm sure those have some nice markup on them since they are unique.

There's a lot of processor power that needs to be used in order to convert an analog signal into a digital one. Think of the bandwidth of a high-definition signal (1920x1080)requires as compared with an SD (720x480) picture. The two aren't comparable. Just look at the tech requirements for playback of DVD versus HD-DVD on PC. We're talking worlds of difference in power here (in terms of both CPU and dedicated HD video cards). Now granted it wouldn't use the same technology, but it shows you that the leap from one resolution to the next will need some power and that power translates to more $$$.

The DVD player may be able to handle the conversion on-the-fly with ease, but it's also an expensive piece of equipment, not just some cable.

Maybe I'm wrong.. it would be nice, because I'd like to have HDMI capability to view this in 1080p on my bigscreen that doesn't take 1080p over analog. Unless MS comes out with some kind of firmware upgrade that can make the unit output some kind of signal that the HDMI adapter can "interpret" as a digital source...
But I'm no expert. I just play one on TV.

ok, maybe we have different meanings for "expensive" and "ridiculously powerful", but to me, max $100 for the stand alone device and $120-$150 for a DVD-Recorders that do the conversion is not expensive, nor are these devices overwhelmingly powerful IMHO. But I agree that MS would not be able to pull it off with some simple adapter cable setup unless they built something into the current 360's to accomodate it. Also, I wouldn't spend the say $100 for a setup to accomplish this on-the-fly for my 360.

ok, maybe we have different meanings for "expensive" and "ridiculously powerful", but to me, max $100 for the stand alone device and $120-$150 for a DVD-Recorders that do the conversion is not expensive, nor are these devices overwhelmingly powerful IMHO. But I agree that MS would not be able to pull it off with some simple adapter cable setup unless they built something into the current 360's to accomodate it. Also, I wouldn't spend the say $100 for a setup to accomplish this on-the-fly for my 360.

Yeah, and I think that's the point though.. It wouldn't be overly expensive for someone who doesn't mind paying upward of $150+, but at that point you're paying for half the price of the core system. You'd be better off to trade your system in and lose some value, and pay the remainder for the Elite. As unfortunate as it seems, this has to be more realistic than selling a converter box that would be expensive to produce and sell. The chip that converts on the fly in these DVD devices wouldn't be able to handle 1080p, so something more robust would be required. I would be delighted though if I were proved wrong by MS.

I have a question for everyone here. If it was financially possible to make a analog to digital HDMI converter that would add HDCP to the analog signal don't you think someone would have done that by now? Since no one has done that in a product (AVR or video box) under $1500 how in the world is M$ going to do that for pennies?

Maybe I missed it, but I don't remember anything about HDCP mentioned as part of the adapter, just a simple component to HDMI conversion which is economically feasible. Since we all realize adding HDCP or anything else to the signal would get expensive plus the fact that if they did, people who wanted to copy etc would just go back to the component cables to do it. But I don't believe MS could even get an adapter made in the price range many would consider worthwhile

Odds are it would require a seperate power source, so with the HD-DVD drive, that's 3 plugs just for the 360. Obviously everyone with a 360 now is playing it just fine (probably component or VGA the majority of the connections) so an HDMI adapter priced over 1/2 the price of a game is not going to sell IMO. personally, I think MS if they really are thinking about it should can the idea.

You can not do 1080p without HDCP for movies. You can for gaming but the movie studios are not going to allow for 1080p without HDCP. In addition to that most HDTVs only do 1080p with HDMI and without HDCP you can not get a 'handshake' so how is that going to work?

Ok, we are expanding the conversation a bit then. All that was mentioned was a component to HDMI convertor. Adding HDCP and going full 1080p are things that were not discussed. I am not disagreeing with you one bit JoeSp on the 1080p/HDCP stuff, just trying to keep the scope of the conversation limited to what was stated.

You can not do 1080p without HDCP for movies. You can for gaming but the movie studios are not going to allow for 1080p without HDCP. In addition to that most HDTVs only do 1080p with HDMI and without HDCP you can not get a 'handshake' so how is that going to work?
Moved the PS3 into the bedroom the other day because the wife was watching something.
Was pleasantly shocked to see that I got 1080p through component on my Poloroid LCD :D