Microsoft reverses Xbox One online check and used games policies!!

king3pj

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jun 7, 2009
Michigan
Microsoft may be changing their tune on most of the policies people seem to hate.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/19/microsoft-reversing-xbox-one-internet-used-game-policies

Xbox One will allegedly also no longer restrict used games, and will instead allow discs to be exchanged in the same way they are on Xbox 360 with no additional restrictions for trade-ins or lending games to friends. The system is also said to no longer be region locked and all downloaded games will function the same way whether your console is connected or not.

Of course all of this came from anonymous sources at Microsoft to the Giant Bomb video game website. IGN has asked for confirmation from Microsoft with no reply so far so take all of this with a grain of salt. I really don't see how it could be true. They have built in the requirement that all games are installed to the hard drive. If they took away all their restrictions any game you rented or borrowed just long enough to install would now be yours. That would be a much bigger problem for them than the used game market was in this generation.

Joystiq picked up on this too. Microsofts site crashed from people trying to verify. Now they're all just waiting for official verification from MS.

IGN has updated their article. Apparently Microsoft has confirmed all of this now. I guess they got sick of hearing all the hate and seeing how much better the PS4 preorders were selling. Gamers win.

Edit: the updated article also addressed my reasoning for why this wouldn't happen.

Like on Xbox 360, "playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray."

Not to be a jerk here but we are already discussing this in the video games section where it belongs. Your posts with news links are often the first time I hear of a new story so that's cool. For example, the addition of HBO Go to the Apple TV today but that was also here instead of the streaming section. It would be nice if you would put these news updates in the appropriate section and see if there is already a discussion before you post a new thread.

Edit: again I'm not trying to be the rule czar here. It's just a better discussion when everyone is talking about it in the same thread instead of people repeating their thoughts in multiple places.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Broke off and merged some stuff. All in the same place now. ;)

Too late for me, I think they showed their cards and will still want to work that way...I am on board with the ps4 even though I will miss halo it is the right move for me.

edit:I think, I could still reverse course.

Great news and it certainly changes my opinion of getting the Xbox one or not for my son for xmas. He has a 360 now and loves it would like to stay with same platform.

I read somewhere that there is an 8;1 ratio on preorders. For every 8 PS4's ordered there is 1 Xbox One ordered. The only reason Gamestop is not taking instore preorders for Xbox One now is that their cap was much lower than the Playstation 4. I don't think this is confirmed legit but at least some of it must be seeing how before Microsofts response was that they had a system for people without internet, Xbox360, or my favorite "Just Deal With It" Well the consumer did just deal with it and turned the Xbox 1 into the the Xbox 180 with their asinine restrictive policies. It's a shame that they decided to rescind on some of the "game sharing" features though but I think they already saw that gamers had already found a way to abuse the "10 family members" limit.

Anyways I could reverse my decision on owning one of these consoles. I won't get one right away though and the PS4 is first on my list.

It's not all sugar and gumdrops though folks. We did lose the ability to just fully install discs and not worry about them (install still needed as well as disc) but the biggest loss is the family sharing feature, which allowed you to share your games with 10 people as well as bring your games with you wherever you went.

I'll get a PS4 simply cause I don't like the way the xbox works, at least the ones before this one. Had 'em twice and don't like 'em.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)