Microsoft says 'no' to Xbox Blu-ray

Maybe it had a 3% attach rate because there remained the possiblity that the $179.00 add-in would become obsolete.

They might be following Apple's lead. Despite what John Dvorak and Michael Bay said, I don't think Microsoft supported HD DVD to add confusion to the optical disc market.

Apple is in the *cough* Blu-Ray supporter camp but neglected to add a Blu-ray reader/writer to even their creative class (read: expensive) machines. They are targeting downloads.

Microsoft is doing the same with Xbox Live. I wonder how long it will be before they announce a separate lower cost set top box apart from the gaming console. :cool:

Don't you love their attachment to the words "attach rate?"

Anyway, if MS thought a BD add on would keep some folks from buying a PS3, they'd have it out "tout suite." And so, - I think they'll put one out this year. I certainly would not be surprised to see it arrive in May.

Much like Toshiba and HD DVD, it sounds like MS is getting ready to bail on their 3 Rings of Death Box...:rolleyes: Seriously, they are going to have a rough time competing without a BD and hard disk in their future models.

Much like Toshiba and HD DVD, it sounds like MS is getting ready to bail on their 3 Rings of Death Box...:rolleyes: Seriously, they are going to have a rough time competing without a BD and hard disk in their future models.

:confused:

I think their video game console will do just fine, considering all of the fine video games on their video game console.

The PS3 is a nice BD player, but the BD logo isn't going to win the video game war, video games will, and Sony is getting absolutely destroyed in software sales for their new console.

Sony is still losing with the PS3. Their games unit is making money, but the PS3 does not become a successful console by being a great BD player. They need to sell games for them to recoup development and marketing costs since launch via licensing fees.

How much publisher support do you think the PS3 would continue to receive if, when they have the same number of units in a market, the 360 consistently outsells the competition by a considerable margin? This is especially important given the increase in costs to produce a game for 2 systems that are not easily ported to each other? The end result are going to be more situations like Orange Box where a sub-studio is contracted to port over a game, instead of the creators, leading to a substandard experience.

Losing HDDVD isn't a big deal for the 360, because unlike the PS3, it is first and foremost a video game console.

The bigger question is what is the expected lifetime remaining on the xbox 360. It could be too late in the product cycle to consider adding a blu-ray drive. MS may be viewing a new box in 2 years. There was only 4 years between xbox and xbox 360.

Yes, I've read where MS seems to produce boxes with a 4 year prime life span. Whether that's good or bad, I don't know.

seems to be working for the Wii

seems to be working for the Wii
And then some!

However the Wii without those components is a very different machine than if you take them away from the 360 IMO. There are many other things going for it.

Anyone who buys a XBOX360 now knows that the '3 Ring Circus' could visit them and they would need a repair or replacement. The XBOX360 has some pretty decent games and the XBOXLive is making money for M$. But I agree that M$ needs to bring out a settop solely for the purpose of downloadable HDM. Maybe instead of a BD drive M$ will bring out a 500gb drive for the XBOX360 to support their desire to push downloadable content.

As for gaming on the PS3, 2008 will see the PS3 start hitting a stride in gaming. The problem is the PS3 is already the media center that M$ envisioned for the XBOX360. But without a harddrive requirement the Xbox360 falls short. It also does not have all the outputs (HDMI for one) that is needed to make the Xbox360 a media center. Once Sony launches Home along with their new HDM downloading this fall the PS3 will really start to take off. But still, the PS3 can be used as a media center, a gaming center , a BD player (and still one of the bests) and my guess is that Sony intended it to be that way. It might take another year or two for the PS3 gaming to really start to dominate on exclusive releases.

The main reason the Wii is so hot is that Nintendo is only interested in gaming. They went back to the basics and they are killing the competition. Now if only the next Wii would do HD then...?

Let me ask you something, Microsoft drops HD-DVD, now M$ supports downloading content, you have to pay bunch of $$ to just rent the movie for few days and then you have to pay again to view it again?
Isn't that how the whole M$ downloading content works for movies?
If thats the case, they aren't going to make it too far.

Let me ask you something, Microsoft drops HD-DVD, now M$ supports downloading content, you have to pay bunch of $$ to just rent the movie for few days and then you have to pay again to view it again?
Isn't that how the whole M$ downloading content works for movies?
If thats the case, they aren't going to make it too far.

You like old articles, here's one a little newer than the one you posted in the video games forum:

Microsoft announces Disney movies in HD on Xbox Live right....now - Engadget HD

The important tidbit.... $125 million of revanue from the Video Market place as of June of last year.

That's before...

- Disney
- Paramount
- ESPN
- Looney Toons
- Lost
- MGM

As for this:

Anyone who buys a XBOX360 now knows that the '3 Ring Circus' could visit them and they would need a repair or replacement. The XBOX360 has some pretty decent games and the XBOXLive is making money for M$. But I agree that M$ needs to bring out a settop solely for the purpose of downloadable HDM. Maybe instead of a BD drive M$ will bring out a 500gb drive for the XBOX360 to support their desire to push downloadable content.

As for gaming on the PS3, 2008 will see the PS3 start hitting a stride in gaming. The problem is the PS3 is already the media center that M$ envisioned for the XBOX360. But without a harddrive requirement the Xbox360 falls short. It also does not have all the outputs (HDMI for one) that is needed to make the Xbox360 a media center. Once Sony launches Home along with their new HDM downloading this fall the PS3 will really start to take off. But still, the PS3 can be used as a media center, a gaming center , a BD player (and still one of the bests) and my guess is that Sony intended it to be that way. It might take another year or two for the PS3 gaming to really start to dominate on exclusive releases.

The main reason the Wii is so hot is that Nintendo is only interested in gaming. They went back to the basics and they are killing the competition. Now if only the next Wii would do HD then...?

Your entire post is irrelevant for someone who bought a 360 in the last 9 or so months when the 360 started shipping with HDMI, and even further back for the RROD references since that has been fixed for quite some time. Even the recent study that pegged the failure rate at 16% said most of not all (their exact phrase) of the failures in the study were by units with the older defective motherboard.

So, baseless claims from the 2 above posters, win your war and the FUD is till in full effect. Awesome.

Your entire post is irrelevant for someone who bought a 360 in the last 9 or so months when the 360 started shipping with HDMI, .
Fair enough. What about the millions that bought it BEFORE that. Most parts are pretty valid for them(me).

Fair enough. What about the millions that bought it BEFORE that. Most parts are pretty valid for them(me).

The point of my post is that the issues he points out are resolved in current models. I am the owner of a 360 that is connected via VGA and have yet to have something downscaled, and enjoy the Media Extender functionality. These things are impossible to do apparently in the world of JoeSP.

Starting a post with "Anyone who buys a XBOX360 now knows that the '3 Ring Circus' could visit them" and including in that post "...does not have all the outputs (HDMI for one)..." is outright lying. I mean lying over specs and whatnot is one thing, but lying about something that is physically present on 99.9% of new retail 360s sold right now (some 60gbs have popped up at OD recently) completely forfeits any point you were trying to make in the same handful of breaths.

BTW, don't buy a PS2, you'll get a disc read error, the sky is falling, the sky is falling!!

You like old articles, here's one a little newer than the one you posted in the video games forum:

Microsoft announces Disney movies in HD on Xbox Live right....now - Engadget HD

The important tidbit.... $125 million of revanue from the Video Market place as of June of last year.

That's before...

- Disney
- Paramount
- ESPN
- Looney Toons
- Lost
- MGM

As for this:

Your entire post is irrelevant for someone who bought a 360 in the last 9 or so months when the 360 started shipping with HDMI, and even further back for the RROD references since that has been fixed for quite some time. Even the recent study that pegged the failure rate at 16% said most of not all (their exact phrase) of the failures in the study were by units with the older defective motherboard.

So, baseless claims from the 2 above posters, win your war and the FUD is till in full effect. Awesome.

You never answered my question regarding the rental.
I am sure the retailers will not be happy about this.

Downloads still far away from being a prime product.
Remember most people that buy movies, they want to own it, not rent it for couple days. I would love to watch my movies 1-2 months after, even a year later.
Now that Blu-ray won the market against HD-DVD, I am sure they will start making more money, cheaper players, and hopefully cheaper discs.

I'd rather own a disc and play it whenever I want it than re-renting the movie to watch it.
Also if M$ wants to convert the 360 into a media player, then they need to start making quieter 360's.
Thats my personal preference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)