Even Bill Hunt says Blu-Ray player prices need to come down

allargon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
Austin, TX
Wow... I guess he isn't being paid by the BDA. I hope all the pundits that beat up HD DVD for low bitrates and lack of studio support last year now beat on the Blu camp for this profile mess and stratospheric prices. Seriously, prices need to come down. (I'll go purple if I get a non-2.0 stadalone under $200 or a PS3 under $280.)

On that note, having officially backed the Blu-ray Disc format since June of last year, we here at The Digital Bits have some suggestions to all the Blu-ray Disc studios and manufacturers as to how best to make Blu-ray an easy choice for consumers going forward. You BD guys listening? Yeah, I know you are. Here goes:

1. Blu-ray Disc hardware prices obviously need to come down by the 4th quarter to attract more mainstream consumers to the format. Offering Blu-ray player/HDTV deals makes sense, given the FCC's mandated deadline to switch to all-digital broadcasting by early next year (at midnight on 2/17/09 to be exact - click here for details), but it would be good if there were at least a few BD players priced in the $250 range or better by the holidays.

2. The Blu-ray Disc Association needs to make profile 2.0 support MANDATORY on all new players ASAP, and all hardware manufacturers need to make their new player models profile 2.0 compatible ASAP in order to avoid consumer confusion. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. We're getting many e-mails from readers who are interested in buying into Blu-ray now but are confused by the multiple profiles (and if that's you, I'll explain them in a moment). This is especially important when you consider how many firmware updates have been required to ensure hardware compatibility with software - built-in Internet connectivity is key to making this process easier and more consumer friendly.

3. Blu-ray Disc software prices should come down a little as well in time for the holidays. They're still too high for most people - definitely too high to encourage impulse purchasing. Rebates and incentives should be offered to encourage BD upgrades of catalog titles for people who may already own the same titles on DVD (as Buena Vista has recently done). It also wouldn't hurt to have a few more MAJOR and much-loved catalog titles available on Blu-ray before the end of the year (including more older classics). There's no better incentive for a movie-lover to upgrade than the release of a favorite film title in 1080p quality, and at a price that isn't going to break the budget.

4. The Blu-ray supporting studios who have previously supported HD-DVD need to release Blu-ray versions of those titles previously exclusive to HD-DVD ASAP. This is especially important with key titles like The Matrix, V for Vendetta, Heroes: Season One, Battlestar Galactica: Season One, Transformers, Top Gun and Star Trek: The Original Series Remastered - Season One. Those titles encouraged many people to buy HD-DVD players, and now many of those people feel like they've been led up the creek without a paddle. Meanwhile, the exclusivity of those titles to HD-DVD is a major sore spot with Blu-ray consumers. There's a lot of goodwill that needs to be restored all around with high-def consumers (Special word to Paramount and DreamWorks: Having now abandoned your high-def consumers not once but TWICE, you guys have a LOT of work to do in this area).

5. ALL BLU-RAY DISC TITLES, WHENEVER POSSIBLE, SHOULD BE RELEASED WITH LOSSLESS AUDIO. In the same way that anamorphic enhancement became standard on DVD to ensure the highest video quality possible, lossless audio is critical to ensuring the highest sonic quality on Blu-ray. 1080p video is clearly stunning, but it needs the sound to match it.

So that's our advice to the Blu-ray camp.

These are ideas that the BDA should of had in stone along time ago. They put the 1.1 in stone for Oct 31, 2007 -- why can they not put the 2.0 in stone? Could it be that the BDA intends to have to formats on the market. 1.1 for those who just want to play BD and access the info on the disc. 2.0 will be for those who want internet access while watching the movie and the features that this will bring. I bet J6P would be fine with 1.1 if the player was $200 or less!

The one thing that Bill did not include was the imediate release of firmware to decode DTSMaster HD or to pass the bitstream on to a AVR that could decode DTSMaster HD for all BD players that can do this. This should of been done with the 1.1 requirement.

You forgot this part.

Now then, about some advice to you Bits readers out there? We know that many of you may be thinking of buying a Blu-ray Disc player now that the format war is over, and there's definitely never been a better time. But here's a couple things to consider:

1. Blu-ray Disc player prices now start at about $399 for good models, but if you wait until Christmas, they'll likely be down to $299. Prices could even drop below $200 by next year (click here for more via The New York Times).

2. If you care about being able to access ALL Blu-ray bonus features, both now AND in the future, you might want to wait to get a profile 2.0 compatible player, which basically means a player with a built-in Internet connection. They'll start becoming available in May or June, and there should be many by Christmas. If you just can't wait that long, Sony's PlayStation 3 is both a great Blu-ray player AND a next-generation game system. It's already designed to connect to the Internet AND it will be firmware updatable to profile 2.0 later this year. So it's basically future proof right now.

3. Look for sales, bargains, deals and special offers on Blu-ray players and discs. There will be LOTS of them in the months ahead, rest assured.

4. Feedback counts! Let the studios and manufacturers know what you like and dislike. If there's a movie you'd like to see released, let them know. If there's a feature or function you think needs work, same drill. If you have a problem with a player or a disc, don't stop bugging them about it (politely, of course) until you get it resolved. Here at The Bits, we'll help on major issues affecting our readers whenever we can.

What do all these Blu-ray spec "profiles" mean? All Blu-ray players are profile 1.0, which means they offer all of the basic video, audio and menu functionality needed to enjoy movie content and most extras. Some newer models are profile 1.1, which adds the picture-in-picture option and a few other advanced interactive features (sometimes called "Bonus View"). Profile 2.0 players will additionally add the ability to connect to the Internet, opening up all kinds of online interactive options (you'll see these features often labeled as "BD-Live"). Later this year, most (likely eventually all) new Blu-ray players should offer compatibility all the way to profile 2.0. The reason for the different profiles is that both HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc were rushed to market about a year before they were really ready. So Blu-ray was forced to start releasing players and discs in 2006, before all of the interactive specs had been fully finalized. Conversely, HD-DVD had finalized their interactive specs by the time they launched, but there was a reason for this too: HD-DVD's HDi interactive scheme isn't as advanced or powerful as Blu-ray's BD-Java. In any case, the different profiles are inconvenient to be sure, but they should be largely worked out by the time most mainstream consumers really start to consider buying Blu-ray players anyway. So it's mostly the early adopters who are being inconvenienced, and a little inconvenience is something most early adopters have come to expect when buying ANY new technology before the rest of society. So just keep all this in mind, have a little patience while you wait (if you decide to wait) and don't let the subject scare you.

The profile 2 bit is only for eliminating confusion. Most people will never connect their players to the internet.

The BDA really needs to also stabilize the software (firmware) supporting up to 1.1. Elimination of the need for firmware updates, except for profile 2.0 features, should be a high priority near term goal. Don't make J6P fool around with updates.

On further thought, maybe making profile 2 players wireless will one day boost to over half the number of players that actually connect to the internet. Of course, wireless technology will also have to become easier and more reliable. Home Plug?

On further thought, maybe making profile 2 players wireless will one day boost to over half the number of players that actually connect to the internet. Of course, wireless technology will also have to become easier and more reliable. Home Plug?

Although I'm ambivalent about accessing 2.0 features for BD, I think wireless connectivity is a no brainer and a major reason I went with the PS3. You can a get bargain laptop for less than the cost of most standalone BD players that includes built in wireless.

Didn't HD DVD already have all the things Shill mentioned in his laundry list of BD improvements. As a champion of the consumer wouldn’t it have been smarter to just back the most complete product and pull a few studios over. Now he’s spending more and more time explaining profiles and shortcomings, begging for prices to drop, getting many more angry emails etc.

It seems like his decision to back BD was very short sited and he fell for the “more is better” trick that Sony plays with every new technology.

Didn't HD DVD already have all the things Shill mentioned in his laundry list of BD improvements. As a champion of the consumer wouldn’t it have been smarter to just back the most complete product and pull a few studios over. Now he’s spending more and more time explaining profiles and shortcomings, begging for prices to drop, getting many more angry emails etc.

It seems like his decision to back BD was very short sited and he fell for the “more is better” trick that Sony plays with every new technology.

Yes, and I'm sure he could have single handedly swayed the format war in HD DVDs favor had he done just that. !sadroll

Wow... I guess he isn't being paid by the BDA. I hope all the pundits that beat up HD DVD for low bitrates and lack of studio support last year now beat on the Blu camp for this profile mess and stratospheric prices. Seriously, prices need to come down. (I'll go purple if I get a non-2.0 stadalone under $200 or a PS3 under $280.)
I agree they need to drop for any serious competition with DVD to ever occur but there is absolutely no economic reason for them to drop. A lock on the HDM market combined with miniscule adpotion compared to DVD equals a very slow reduction in price and journey to 2.0 profile. If you owned every oil well in the world would you drop the price of oil? Or increase quality? Sony and the BDA has lost millions and millions of dollars on the PS3 and funding BD BOGO's, now that the war is over it is their time for plundering by profit taking as evidenced in this thread: http://www.satelliteguys.us/hd-dvd-...nology-chinese-manufacturers.html#post1263927

Last edited:
Didn't HD DVD already have all the things Shill mentioned in his laundry list of BD improvements.
Umm yes, but I don't think HD DVD was lining his pocket. I think Bill the Shill is now going to find out just what the BDA thinks his importance is. They used him and will now throw him away. It will be very interesting to watch BluRay.com and see if they take sides over there. BDA vs Bill Hunt.... I wonder if the shill and his followers will get banned?

Umm yes, but I don't think HD DVD was lining his pocket. I think Bill the Shill is now going to find out just what the BDA thinks his importance is. They used him and will now throw him away. It will be very interesting to watch BluRay.com and see if they take sides over there. BDA vs Bill Hunt.... I wonder if the shill and his followers will get banned?
I really don't think Bill had much influence in the outcome of the war.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)