Will prices now come down?

W.Bush has a better chance to be elected president for the third term than BD going mainstream (i.e. mass adoption) any time soon, IMHO.

Diogen.

The early adoption of higher priced DVD players does not really equate to High Def players. First of all, even on normal TV's, a DVD looked a lot better than VHS tapes. To really appreciate the difference between a DVD and a Blu Ray disk, you really need an HD wide screen TV, which not everybody has yet, so the market may be smaller. Also, even with a good HD TV, the difference between an HD disk and a normal DVD that is upconverted on a decent player (like my HD-A30) is not nearly as great. So the perceived value of buying and HD player is not as great for most people. And this goes for the media as well. The price difference between a DVD and a Blu Ray for a new release is way too big for the average consumer. Finally, when DVD came out, it did not have to compete with over the air HD, Cable HD, or Satellite HD. I have lots of HD programming to keep me satisfied, and a potentially growing HD DVD library if fire sales are good on media, so I am not missing a lot by not jumping on the high price (and feature lacking) Blu players. The value is not there for me, and I am sure it is not there for a lot of average consumers. Add to that the fact that people have gotten used to the sales with the competition, if the prices do not come down considerably, prices need to come down for mass sales. But without competition, the Blu Ray companies may not feel they have the need to lower prices. Sony probably hopes that stays like that so they can sell PS3's instead. Until profile 2.0 players hit the $200 price point, I do not see Blu Ray seriously competing against DVD's, and by the time that happens, it may be too late with downloads taking off.

Higher demand, higher prices.[/QUOTE

Higher demand=more production. Then lower prices.

What economics school did you go to?

Actually classical economic theory would tell you that the increased demand would raise prices, that the higher prices would lure new suppliers into the market and that eventually a new equilibrium would occur----but that it would likely be at a HIGHER price than what came before. I know of no economic theory that holds that an increase in demand CAUSES a reduction in price.

in the case of tech products there is a lot more going on than that.

Last edited:
Higher demand=more production. Then lower prices.

What economics school did you go to?
The question was will prices NOW come down. Supply has not changed but demand has shifted out causing an increase in the price effect. Sure an increase in demand COULD lead to an increase in production but I was baseing my answer in the near term.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
It seems we have alot of HD-DVD guys and Sony haters who believe that they know more of what is going to happen to the BD/DVD market then they knew what was going to happen to the HD-DVD market. Hummm- now who are we to believe -- the individuals that back HD-DVD or those who backed BD -- HUMMMM?

HD-DVD backers really believed that the format was the only one posistioned to replace DVD are in shock that HD-DVD is RIP and BD is the winner running away. Those who hate Sony can't stand that Sony might of actually backed the winner and they also are in shock as to BD's quick finish of HD-DVD. Those who believe that digital download is just around the corner (like within 5 years) are also in shock (M$ being one of them) because now there is no confusion as to the future of HDM on disc. That future is BluRay and those who don't believe that it will overtake DVD are in denial. It's okay, if you want to watch DVD even upconverted and play like it is real HD then who am I to break your bubble. Toshiba did that for you yesterday.

Last edited:
It seems we have alot of HD-DVD guys and Sony haters who believe that they know more of what is going to happen to the BD/DVD market then they knew what was going to happen to the HD-DVD market. Hummm- now how are we to believe -- the individuals that back HD-DVD or those who backed BD -- HUMMMM?
I would pay attention to those that were around to buy the first DVD players not the ones sucking on their thumbs at the time.

Vurbano, those guys that dropped into DVD in the begining are the ones that also dropped into BD and HD-DVD. Now that HD-DVD is out of the way it will not take long to see if BD is going to have legs beyound early adopters. BD obviously had the legs to take out HD-DVD now they are up against DVD. Gee, new technology or old technolgy -- can anyone name me the last time old tech replaced new tech?

HD-DVD backers really believed that the format was the only one posistioned to replace DVD are in shock...
That must be at least in part directed at me as well... It's much simpler, Joe.
The only shock that doesn't leave me since I found this site is the fact that one particular person that still believes Sony lost to Toshiba the Beta/VHS war can't stop mentoring... :)

Wanna guess who this person is?

Diogen.

to do what? And anything BD does do depends on adoption of HDTV's and not SDTV which will be around for many many years.

You arent' going to answer me are you?

In an earlier post (#57) you opined that around $300 bucks wouldn't be low enough for "mass adoption".

Just how low would any player have to be before "mass adoption" occurred?

Last edited:
The early adoption of higher priced DVD players does not really equate to High Def players. First of all, even on normal TV's, a DVD looked a lot better than VHS tapes. To really appreciate the difference between a DVD and a Blu Ray disk, you really need an HD wide screen TV, which not everybody has yet, so the market may be smaller. Also, even with a good HD TV, the difference between an HD disk and a normal DVD that is upconverted on a decent player (like my HD-A30) is not nearly as great. So the perceived value of buying and HD player is not as great for most people. And this goes for the media as well. The price difference between a DVD and a Blu Ray for a new release is way too big for the average consumer. Finally, when DVD came out, it did not have to compete with over the air HD, Cable HD, or Satellite HD. I have lots of HD programming to keep me satisfied, and a potentially growing HD DVD library if fire sales are good on media, so I am not missing a lot by not jumping on the high price (and feature lacking) Blu players. The value is not there for me, and I am sure it is not there for a lot of average consumers. Add to that the fact that people have gotten used to the sales with the competition, if the prices do not come down considerably, prices need to come down for mass sales. But without competition, the Blu Ray companies may not feel they have the need to lower prices. Sony probably hopes that stays like that so they can sell PS3's instead. Until profile 2.0 players hit the $200 price point, I do not see Blu Ray seriously competing against DVD's, and by the time that happens, it may be too late with downloads taking off.
Great post:up:up:up

DVD players that sell the best from retailers like walmart, best buy ect are the ones that range from $40-$100. I in fact buy the cheaper ones becuse most of them are region free. Are there any BD players region free for DVDs?

The PS3 is rumored to be so. Not a feature of interest to me.

Most TVs sold today are widescreen, judging by what I see on store shelves. And most of those are HD. Sooner or later, as people learn, they will want a high def source. And the public education effort on digital TV and HD is about to begin. The one year countdown is upon us.

Finally, when DVD came out, it did not have to compete with over the air HD, Cable HD, or Satellite HD.

Correct, because those had yet to be invented. It did however have to compete with millions of VHS players in circulation, as well as digital cable and digital satellite (complete with multiple channels for each premium channel, PPV, and other commercial free movie channels.) In other words, same diff as today. :rolleyes:

In other words, same diff as today. :rolleyes:
When DVD came out it was compatible with every TV in existence. Its market was EVERY home in the country. Different story with BluRay. And because of that BD will grow much slower. Also DVD didnt have to compete with players that upconverted VHS tapes.

Last edited:

In an earlier post (#57) you opined that around $300 bucks wouldn't be low enough for "mass adoption".

Vurbano,

I'm still waiting for a dollar figure from you.

Unless HDTV is mass adopted then there is no mass adoption of BD ever, no matter how low the price goes. Predicting the price now is absurd, but obviously it will be well under 200 bucks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts