HD DVDs demise seem to push Blu-ray prices up

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I neither have HD DVD or BD and won't have one at all at least in the next three years.

Sony bought their self a win and now wants the consumers to fork out that money. It would of been embarrassing for Sony, to go through what happened with Betatmax.

This price increase is disturbing for BluRay if it continues. I imagine many people are like me, we own an HDDVD player (realistically, now a nice upconverter). We are watching for two things before jumping into BluRay. (1) Does it look like it can seriously challenge DVD? and (2) When will the prices come down?

We don't know the answer to the DVD challenge question yet (and won't for a while), but the price question seems to have been answered in the wrong direction. Hopefully this is a temporary thing and manufacturers/stores will reconsider what this will do to their potential market. It doesn't matter if this is "a return to suggested retail prices" as someone mentioned previously. The consumer is paying more than they used to for the same merchandise, a pricing move that is detested across the board by consumers. And for the consumers that don't know what prices used to be on BluRay players, if they were in for sticker shock on BluRay prices before, where will they be now?

BluRay certainly hasn't won the war. Only the first minor skirmish with HDDVD. Now that the real war is on the horizon, BluRay almost seems to be backing away from it. Grabbing what short term profit they can, but possibly at the expense of their greater goal.

Time will tell.

In my home area and the 2 other areas I travel, the prices have stayed almost exactly the same. There is no special selling or holiday season so I see this as no big deal yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)