Netflix Opts for Blu-Ray High-Def DVDs

No, Sony isn't perfect. But they're not quite the deserving pariah they're made out to be. They've been getting 'swift-boated' a LOT this past year.
Sony is getting a bad rap????????? What would you call their support of the RIAA lawsuits or the root kit fiasco??? Customer friendly operations?

I signed up for the Blockbuster online free trial, we'll see if they hold on to HD DVD for the next two weeks. I picked about 10 movies for my queue, only one had no wait, most were short wait. All my netflix HD DVDs had a long wait though.

Ironically, literally just minutes before checking out the forums and reading this thread I put my Netflix account on hold to see if I would have better luck getting BDs from Blockbuster. So far, online supplies definitely look worse than what I could get from Netflix, but at least I can trade in store, and my nearest one has a good supply of BDs. I'll give it a month, and then probably go back to Netflix, by which time they'll hopefully have a better supply.

Reason is is that Blockbuster is sending out 1000s of release date BluRay to their stores for purchase and rental. My BB in the last two months have gotten all of the big time releases on Blu Ray the same day they came out. If you have not looked into it, maybe time to check out the local BB.

Sony is getting a bad rap????????? What would you call their support of the RIAA lawsuits or the root kit fiasco??? Customer friendly operations?

For every one of these, their competition ante's up. You have to admit Microsoft has been behind some dastardly s**t, too.

Sony's made some glaring mistakes, absolutely. But look at what they've done lately...new Walkmen players are more open, the fact that the PS3 serves as a Linux machine and they allow you to swap in your own SATA drives. Several recent trends suggest that the developers and beta testers (i.e. the customers) are getting listened to. Beyond that--Price drops on hardware, check. Consumer education, & increased studio and reseller support for blu-ray, check. Opening up their systems to other media standards (Divx, etc), check.

They're learning, I think. Unlike MS, which seems to be going the other direction (subscription monitoring, intrusive licensing, the entire business itself beginning to center around advertising and ad tech, etc).

Sony's waking up...read the interview w/ Sony's Peter Dille in this months EGM. You'll see.

You have to admit Microsoft has been behind some dastardly s**t, too.
There is a difference between Microsoft and Sony: with MS you know exactly when and how they will spit in your face.
With Sony it is always a stab in the back. And pretending they have done nothing wrong...
...the fact that the PS3 serves as a Linux machine
Does anybody remember PS2 was running Linux? Does anybody give a sh!t?
...Several recent trends suggest that the developers and beta testers (i.e. the customers) are getting listened to.
Sony singlehandedly killed the development of RipIt4Me. It took 4 months for this info to surface...
Sony killed ripit4me and fixvts
As recently as August last year they bundled rootkit software on USB sticks
Sony bundles rootkit-like software on USB drive | The Register
Are those the trends you were talking about?
They're learning, I think... Sony's waking up...
You wish...

Diogen.

HD-DVD fanboys can no longer argue about HD-DVD so now it's all about how bad Sony is.

Reason is is that Blockbuster is sending out 1000s of release date BluRay to their stores for purchase and rental. My BB in the last two months have gotten all of the big time releases on Blu Ray the same day they came out. If you have not looked into it, maybe time to check out the local BB.

Good news so far. My first online rental will be "POC:At World's End" which was #1 in my queue and listed as "Long Wait" (maybe preferential treatment for a new customer). Since most the BDs in my BB queue were Long or Short Waits, I expected to get an SD title at the bottom of my list, which I planned to immediately trade at my local BB for a new release BD. Perhaps BB will be worth holding on to after the free trial after all.

Mods there is no such thing as a bluRay HiDef DVD. Using the DVD term with BD is a copyright violation. Please revise the title.

Maybe they can make you an honorary mod or something so you can do all of the stupid stuff you ask them to do on your own...

On the other hand, it's always quite funny - even if it is, ultimately, pointless.

EDIT: By the way, I've heard "Blu Ray HiDef" on more commercials than I can count, so maybe you should turn your attention to calling for a copyright infringement or false advertising suit against those companies...

Last edited:
Mods there is no such thing as a bluRay HiDef DVD. Using the DVD term with BD is a copyright violation. Please revise the title.

You may want to spend less time requesting pointless changes and a little more time learning the difference between copyrights and trademarks.

Is this really it? I've never bothered to look up this so-called dastardly deed by Sony before (never cared), but this is really it? They put some software on CD's that opened up computers to hacking? How many other people have done that? Is there some evidence claiming that they did this on purpose or were somehow in league with the hackers while doing this? Forgive my ignorance, but I'm really struggling with this now....

Did you notice this link on the same page?

Sony BMG sues DRM developer | The Register

Yeah, sounds to me like Sony was just out to do whatever they could to screw the consumer on this one.... maybe I'm missing something here, but I just don't see it.

As for being "friends" with the RIAA, is there a record label that isn't?

From that blog:

they have deals with several record companies, including Sony, to implement Digital Rights Management (DRM) software for CDs

So Sony hires a company that puts badly written software together - the same company, apparently, that other companies also hired - and then sues said company when they find out what this badly written software is doing to people's PC's (or to cover their losses from the lawsuits against them - makes no difference to me). Maybe that makes them stupid, but I'm still struggling to see how that makes them the devil you all like to make them out to be.

I'm done with this topic, though - you guys are going to continue on this crusade regardless of what I say, and I'm still not going to care, so we'll just agree to disagree...

I used them in the past. Gameznflix. 114 HD DVDs, 104 Blu-Rays. They haven't got any new of either since I left them sometime last spring.

Search Fatwallet, there is a coupon code out there for something like 3-out for $12. I had good service with them. Very fast turn around times, but there selection sucks. No new releases at all. Heck, no BR releases either.

BTW, search for "HD" in either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray categories for the complete list of titles they carry.

-John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts