Netflix Opts for Blu-Ray High-Def DVDs

Netflix has been taking heat for long waits on BD titles, why spend your energy on both, go with the leader.

Why stock both? To earn revenue from HD-DVD only owners. Unless Netflix received a deal from someone to make up for missed HD-DVD revenues, it makes no business sense to go exclusive.

Why stock both? To earn revenue from HD-DVD only owners. Unless Netflix received a deal from someone to make up for missed HD-DVD revenues, it makes no business sense to go exclusive.

Oh yeah, here we go with the payoff conspiracy. It makes no sense to you, but its constantly been stated by blu insiders that forces outside of the studios want this to end. Some people just refuse to see the writing on the wall and continously claim payoffs, inferiority and cost.

They indicated in the announcement why they thought it made long term business sense to choose one side over the other. I have no idea how much revenue they get on wither side, whether they are profitable with either, or whether they receiveda payoff.

I honestly think they've already been told what we know, Paramount and Universal had made their decision to back blu at least neutrally. Its just a matter of getting everything in place.

Netflix has been taking heat for long waits on BD titles, why spend your energy on both, go with the leader. As stated before, the retail industry is putting this baby to bed.

This is GREAT news and only means that Universal and Paramount are on the horizon.

Cant wait to hear the spin on this one.

Why do both sides keep speculating like this---and then accuse the other side of spin. We kep hearing about a Universal/paramount change but so far there is nothing to confirm it.

I'm guessing revenue they make from both HDM sides is extremely small compared to SD DVD. It probably made no sense to them to keep stocking both formats.

Why do both sides keep speculating like this---and then accuse the other side of spin. We kep hearing about a Universal/paramount change but so far there is nothing to confirm it.

Youre not reading the proper site or listening to the proper people.

Certain people have been consitently right the last 6 mo's, and those same people say they are coming. I beleive them.

I wouldn't consider this as the spin the other side is used to, like the TL-51 and new title announcement during the superbowl ad :haha

Unfortunately both sides see the other as spinning or spreading FUD but never recognize it in posts that favor their chosen format.

at thsi point I owna BD player but believe litte of what I read in the way of prediitions

Oh yeah, here we go with the payoff conspiracy. It makes no sense to you, but its constantly been stated by blu insiders that forces outside of the studios want this to end. Some people just refuse to see the writing on the wall and continously claim payoffs, inferiority and cost.

A little touchy aren't we?

I'm not a black helicopter supporter. I'm just a business man.

My point was, if I sell red koolaid and blue koolaid for a profit in my store, it would not make business sense for me to stop selling one of them unless I received revenue to compensate for the lost sales.

Of course my whole point is irrelevant if the business line is not profitable.

As part of the transition to Blu-ray, the company said it will acquire no new HD DVDs but that its current HD DVD inventory would continue to rent until the discs' natural life cycle takes them out of circulation in the coming months.
Ouch! I just relized this. Looks like if you want to watch a HD DVD your going to have to buy one.

On the spin side, this could be a huge boost for sales. If you can't rent your movie you're going to have to buy them. This may have the opposite affect that Netflix was hoping, one format. :D

On the spin side, this could be a huge boost for sales. If you can't rent your movie you're going to have to buy them. This may have the opposite affect that Netflix was hoping, one format. :D

It's official. The Red spin has reached a new level of absurdity.

That is unless the above post was sarcastic.

Email from Netflix about hd-dvd

Here is an email that my buddy got from Netflix today....

We're Going Blu-ray

Dear Dizzle,

You're receiving this email because you have asked to receive high-definition movies in the HD DVD format. As you may have heard, most of the major movie studios have recently decided to release their high-definition movies exclusively in the Blu-ray format. In order to provide the best selection of high-definition titles for our members, we have decided to go exclusively with Blu-ray as well.

While we will continue to make our current selection of HD DVD titles available to you for the next several months, we will not be adding additional HD DVD titles or reordering replacements.

Toward the end of February, HD DVDs in your Saved Queue will automatically be changed to standard definition DVDs. Then toward the end of this year, all HD DVDs in your Queue will be changed to standard definition DVDs. Don't worry, we will contact you before this happens.

You can click here to change your format preferences.

We're sorry for any inconvenience. If you have any questions or need further assistance, please call us at 1 (888) 638-3549.

-The Netflix Team

I've been an HD DVD supporter since day one, but it looks like the handwriting is on the wall. I went purple a couple months ago, but I still think HD DVD is better over all as things stand now. Once BD Profile 2.0 becomes the mandatory standard, that may change. It looks like Sony's decision to include Blu-ray in the PS3 was the right choice as far as winning this war, but it could turn out to be puric victory for Sony since their gaming division has been bleeding red ink big time.

I just heard about this and am not happy at all. I will be dropping Netflix now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)