Best Buy to Officially Recommend Blu-ray to Customers

chicagofilms

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 15, 2004
Not a good Monday for HD-DVD. First Netflix, now BB...

Blu-ray.com - Best Buy to Officially Recommend Blu-ray to Customers

Beginning in early March, retailer Best Buy will begin officially recommending Blu-ray as best choice for high definition movies to their customer base. Since the beginning of the format war, Best Buy has silently stood on the sidelines providing both the Blu-ray and HD DVD format for consumers to choose. Current sales data now shows that Blu-ray is their choice, and the retailer will soon carry the official stance that Blu-ray is best high definition format.

Brian Dunn, Best Buy's president and chief operating officer commented, "Consumers have told us that they want us to help lead the way. We've listened to our customers, and we are responding. Best Buy will recommend Blu-ray as the preferred format. Our decision to shine a spotlight on Blu-ray Disc players and other Blu-ray products is a strong signal to our customers that we believe Blu-ray is the right format choice for them.

Best Buy will continue to stock a reduced amount of HD DVD players and movies, but the reduction in stock combined with the unified voice to support Blu-ray brings up questions as to how long those stocks will continued to be resupplied.

The list of companies for HD-DVD fanboys to boycott is growing...

538122937_d1b737185b.jpg

I dont understand some of the geeks on their who care so much. Why have a picture of urination or a casket. It's quite childish over a piece of video equipment. It'll be many years befor high def dvds are mainstream. Not until the prices fall under $100.

I think its funny...

Lets recomend to our customers a player with unfinished specs (PS3 and Pana BD50 excluded) and for more money than they are used to paying for TV....

MOST people are not like us...

I think its funny...

Lets recomend to our customers a player with unfinished specs (PS3 and Pana BD50 excluded) and for more money than they are used to paying for TV....

MOST people are not like us...

More money than a TV? Not many TV's less than $400 out there anymore.....

On the OP, I guess this explains the $5 off a Blu-Ray coupons they were giving out at my Best Buy - they were good for the month of March...

More money than a TV? Not many TV's less than $400 out there anymore.....

No kidding. If you paid less than $400 for your tv there's nothing wrong with that but you're probably not part of BD's initial target market.

I dont understand some of the geeks on their who care so much. Why have a picture of urination or a casket. It's quite childish over a piece of video equipment. It'll be many years befor high def dvds are mainstream. Not until the prices fall under $100.

You have to keep in mind the PS3 demographic.

Not surprised. If anybody thought BB was ever neutral, then the never quietly sat by and listened to a sales droid giving a pitch.

The death of HD-DVD can be completely explained by the fact that Toshiba did not give better margins to the retailers.

Not surprised. If anybody thought BB was ever neutral, then the never quietly sat by and listened to a sales droid giving a pitch.

The death of HD-DVD can be completely explained by the fact that Toshiba did not give better margins to the retailers.

They did initially when players were $500+. However, the droids recommended the PS3 (then $600), so Toshiba lowered the prices. Honestly, Warner seems to have had their mind made up before December. I'm not sure if $150 A3's would've made the difference during Christmas. It sure made Sony mad enough to call out Toshiba for taking the profits out of last Xmas. They had to lower their obsolte profile 1.0 Sony and Samsung player prices to "gasp" $300. :rolleyes:

They did initially when players were $500+. However, the droids recommended the PS3 (then $600), so Toshiba lowered the prices. Honestly, Warner seems to have had their mind made up before December. I'm not sure if $150 A3's would've made the difference during Christmas. It sure made Sony mad enough to call out Toshiba for taking the profits out of last Xmas. They had to lower their obsolte profile 1.0 Sony and Samsung player prices to "gasp" $300. :rolleyes:

I tend to agree. I don't think that anyone seriously thought that Warners was going to do anything different than what they did.

But if anything weer to convince me to take another look at HD DVD it wouldbe listening to a BB droid recommend BD.

Biggest news here is BBuys support of HDDVD.

All the rumors of BBuy slowly letting the hardware support of HDDVD die off, this shows you where they stand. Today, Netflix decides to drop support and BBuy begins pushing the BD format. How long before BBuy drops support and sends HDDVD to the back aisle?

Not long.

I agree, Paramount and Universal are coming and I think they've made their game plan aware to the proper folks.

Poor Paramount and Universal :(.
And poor those hardcore HD-DVD supporters, oh well, enjoy the movies that you purchased on HD-DVD, we will soon see those movies on Blu-ray.

Transformers-BluRayVC11080p.DolbyHD.jpg

Poor Paramount and Universal :(.
And poor those hardcore HD-DVD supporters, oh well, enjoy the movies that you purchased on HD-DVD, we will soon see those movies on Blu-ray.

You might see the Universal ones. Paramount isn't exactly a huge releaser of catalog titles. Universal will probably dump like 50 movies a month on Blu-Ray if they switch or go neutral.

Or looked at their in store displays and placement. The idea that BB was ever neutral is a myth.