Ready to buy Blu-ray? Better hit pause button

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I'm not sure why they make such a big deal of internet connectivity. Aren't these BluRay players upgradeable (at least to some extent) by popping a burned DVD into the tray?

I have an A2 player, with it's internet connection, but there was no way in hell I was going to risk a firmware upgrade to something as potentially flaky as a live internet connection. I downloaded the firmware to my computer, burned a DVD (or was it a CD? - can't remember now), and upgraded firmware locally - but only after plugging the A2 into a UPS so I wouldn't have to worry about power interruptions.

Internet-based upgrades are certainly simpler, but potentially have some really nasty pitfalls. Unfortunately, the "safe" way of doing a firmware upgrade might be above the understanding of the average consumer, and it's for these folks that player internet connectivity was designed (IMHO). I guess there is also the potential for playing online games while you're watching a movie at the same time, if that flips your switch.

Well the only thin that matters is since CES. anything else is anceint history.
Wrong. BD players remain over priced and many under performing not meeting the 2.0 profile spec. A very bad thing for the consumer. That hasnt changed since day one no matter which side won the war.

Fear, uncertainty and doubt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This article is trying to influence people to "push the pause button" on buying Blu-Ray by disseminating negative, vague and in some cases untrue (you'll own an obselete device if you buy now?) information. Seems pretty clear cut to me.

It's called good advice.
Every reason in that article is why I won't buy a bluray player and that has been my gripe with bluray since day one.

Fair enough, but you can't argue that the intent of the article was to stop people from buying Blu-Ray, and if I didn't know any better, I'd be worried after reading it that a player I buy today would just stop working all of a sudden six months from now.
I think the article was fair on many points. Compared to what most people are used to BD will not fill in on many levels, he then goes on to offer alternatives. We can debate the definition of obsolete all day, but no one can deny that a lot of BD players cannot, and going forward will not handle all the features on new releases. This huge fact most on the BD side of this forum hope no one will notice. I know this is a war and you pick your sides and support them blindly, but certain things can’t just be swept under the rug. To criticized a journalist for given his opinion is a great example of FUD. Unlike you I think the ‘intent’ of the article was to lay out all the facts and give readers all options, and yes it is a FACT that a lot of expensive BD players will soon be obsolete. Also many of the other options are currently getting fine tuned, and will be presented to the masses as viable alternatives to a very expensive BD option.

On December 26th, I purchased a Samsung 1400 for 265 bucks. I almost bought the A3 instead. I guess it was fate that led me to the Blu Ray player. I think many people are/where in the same boat as I was. I really think the news articles that are coming out now are going to cause people to take the plunge. I think most people could really care less what format won, as long as there seems to be a leader (notice I didnt say winner). I represent the average consumer, one who has to prove to his wife that the purchase we are about to make is somewhat logical.

There is always going to be a better product out there, but for now, I think the product that Bluray is putting out is fine and I would encourage anybody to buy one.

I am trying to express my thoughts without seeming partial to one format or another, because I am really not.

The point of my story is that I think people should make up there own mind on there purchase because there seems to be a lot of propaganda in both directions. I feel bad for the people that will read this article and delay buying a player when they are only delaying there HD viewing experience.

It's called good advice.

I think the article was fair on many points.
I can hardly contain my surprise.

Again, I never disputed the specific facts about Blu-Ray players, but I stand by my opinion that this article is biased, and is spreading FUD. You guys, meanwhile, will stand by your opinion that it is sage wisdom, so we might as well quit arguing about it and just get along.

The simple fact is that by the time most people get into this game, these things will be ancient history.

Again, I never disputed the specific facts about Blu-Ray players, but I stand by my opinion that this article is biased, and is spreading FUD.
Yes, it is biased. But, it is trying to inform the general public that just because the format war is over doesn't neccessarly mean you should go buy a player unless you know some of the shortfalls. Why not warn them? Do you want to hide the truth so this format will be mass adopted faster (if at all)?

Biased? Sure, towards understanding the truth about where BD is and the wisdom in spending money on it right now.

FUD? Only for those who have huge investments in early non-PS3 BD and see that their investment is swirling the same bowl HDDVD just got sucked down into by Sony dollars.

BD will never be a "mainstream" option until players are under $100 and the disks are the same price as dvds. J6P has no reason to buy otherwise.

Toshiba rakes in billions in DVD royalties. It was never about Sony winning, it was about Toshiba losing.

What part of the article was untrue? Then again just care about price and long term value. I could not care less which format is better, just which is the better value and will last the longest.

I find this part of the article to be particularly misleading, and revealing an obvious slant. For the average consumer who isn't "in the know", the writer/editor makes it sound like all the online streaming and downloadable content mentioned is in HD, including Netflix and Amazon, by mixing it all up with content that is (currently available).

Yep, I feel the same way about that part of the article. Very badly worded.

ONUOsFan, I guess where you and I disagree is if the article constitutes FUD or not. I don't see it as that, but I see its bias and I agree with you on that. But back to my initial comment in this thread, I don't know of a single news outlet that can put out a single article that is non-biased in anyway.

I find this part of the article to be particularly misleading, and revealing an obvious slant. For the average consumer who isn't "in the know", the writer/editor makes it sound like all the online streaming and downloadable content mentioned is in HD, including Netflix and Amazon, by mixing it all up with content that is (currently available).
Originally Posted by teamerickson
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23262620/
“The disc war is over, but there’s a bigger one coming — downloads,” said Enderle.
Fact

Cable and satellite providers continue to offer more HD movies on demand, while other companies are moving swiftly to get in on the action.
Fact

Earlier this month, TiVo and Amazon.com announced a service for TiVo subscribers to download TV shows and movies through Amazon.com.
Fact

Apple began offering HD movie rental downloads through its iTunes Store in January. Also last month, Netflix said that subscribers with unlimited rental plans can stream movies and TV episodes onto their home computers.
Fact

“There are a number of services where you can download and stream in high-def,” said Koenig of CEA.
Fact

“We saw a lot of this talked about at the Consumer Electronics Show in January. There are services, even satellite-based, which will deliver high-def content directly to the home. That is ostensibly a very viable solution.
Fact

“There’s going to be a lot of competition in this high-def movie content space. Blu-ray is not the only game in town for this type of content.”
Fact

How is laying down a string of facts bias or misleading???? The truth shall speak for itself.

What is confusing is the article conveys to me that Netflix and Amazon/tivo downloads are in HD. I know nothing I get from netflix streams in HD, nor is any of the Unbox stuff from amazon.

What is confusing is the article conveys to me that Netflix and Amazon/tivo downloads are in HD. I know nothing I get from netflix streams in HD, nor is any of the Unbox stuff from amazon.

You sum up my thoughts exactly.

They grouped all these together without making it clear that HD downloads are really an exception right now and are currently NOT a viable alternative to HD DVD and BD. Are the prices any better with HD downloads and HD PPV vs. renting BD ? Not for the most part. Did they mention that? Of course not.

There are also a lot more advances in technology that need to happen before HD downloads are ready for mass adoption compared to the relatively easy improvements in BD profile specs (which are already in the pipeline).

A responsible journalist would have made these important distinctions more clear. HOW you present the facts, and which facts you SELECT to include are just as more important than the actual facts themselves.

Just went to the Tivo site and one of the boxes compatible with the Amazon service is their TiVo HD box. With Apple and Xbox currently offering HD downloads, I don't see why its so misleading to think TiVo and Amazon are not there or that far behind. The equipment is already in place. This is my 3rd reply to an attempt to say this was bias or confusing or what ever you label it, neither atttempt has passed the sniff test.
This reminds me of republican tactics, when you can’t attack or dispute the undisputable core of the article, do the next best thing. Try to confuse the masses by taking one sentence within the whole article and going off the deep end.

You sum up my thoughts exactly.

They grouped all these together without making it clear that HD downloads are really an exception right now and are currently NOT a viable alternative to HD DVD and BD. Are the prices any better with HD downloads and HD PPV vs. renting BD ? Not for the most part. Did they mention that? Of course not.

There are also a lot more advances in technology that need to happen before HD downloads are ready for mass adoption compared to the relatively easy improvements in BD profile specs (which are already in the pipeline).

A responsible journalist would have made these important distinctions more clear. HOW you present the facts, and which facts you SELECT to include are just as more important than the actual facts themselves.
That is the BIG problem he states clearly within the article is when your so called “relatively easy improvements” are made, a lot of current BD players become obsolete.
A responsible poster would have made these important distinctions more clear.

I think BluRay (and HDDVD) are only ready for early adopters who are technically inclined and understand the tradeoffs and risks. I do not think either one is ready for the mass market, and that is who the article was addressed to. Downloadable movies (either SD or HD) are not ready for the mass market either, for that matter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)