Ready To Go Red Ray?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Yes. 4K is the next best thing coming at the beginning of the year. There will also be whole new hardware/connection requirements. HDMI 1.3 will not cut it and will probably be phased out in favor of an ethernet type connection. CES should have a lot of new high tech toys. I just might go next year.

S~

This sounds a little too good to be true: 2h movie with audio in 4K on a DVD9 disk.
Ten times more efficient encoding than todays HD/BD.
I'll believe it when I see it...

Diogen.

Red ray, 4K.

Yes. Forget BD eyes from those Sony guys. Let'um go blind trying to suck blood out of a turnip.

Fitzie

This sounds a little too good to be true: 2h movie with audio in 4K on a DVD9 disk.
Ten times more efficient encoding than todays HD/BD.
I'll believe it when I see it...

Diogen.

True, I've seen this on their forums too from few people:

RED RAY is based on DVD9 blanks , not bluray, so its 9GB not 50GB. how they'll stuff 2hours of 4k footage onto a 9gb dvd I've no idea. it'll have to be the most sophisticated and amazing compression ever invented.

And its funny most of their devs aren't answering that question.

The rumor is they do some sort of wavelet encoding.
But doing it in real time with such efficiency would be a miracle...

There are enough serious people involved (Stacey Spears is one name)
with the RED to trust the camera itself as an oustanding product, though.

Diogen.

I read through the NAB PDF. The cameras record to flash. I bet they just support clips on the the DVD-9s for editing. I did not get any impression that you could put 2 hours on a DVD9. Remember doing movies they use a series of scenes then edit them together. They were specifying the cameras at 36MB/sec (assuming Megabyte). DVD9 would hold a 4 minute scene for editing, more than enough for a lot of work.

And what will you guys be watching this 4k on? Just wondering as there are currently no 4k monitors on the market for the consumer -- unless you are planning on spending a few hundred thousand dollars! I expect 4k to eventually get hear -- but we are maybe 5 to 10 years for viability -- and here in the US -- maybe 20 years!

And what will you guys be watching this 4k on? Just wondering as there are currently no 4k monitors on the market for the consumer -- unless you are planning on spending a few hundred thousand dollars! I expect 4k to eventually get hear -- but we are maybe 5 to 10 years for viability -- and here in the US -- maybe 20 years!

Not. There are sets expected to debut at CES in January.

S~

Can you name one manufacturer?

Yes, but they won't be shown until CES. I also know of new industry standards for cable connection types. I also know who is getting on board with 4K. Do you have anything for a couple hundred thousand price tag besides pulling it out.... like everything else? We're talking home equipment not theater grade equipment like Barco, etc.

S~

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)