Ready To Go Red Ray?

And what will you guys be watching this 4k on? Just wondering as there are currently no 4k monitors on the market for the consumer -- unless you are planning on spending a few hundred thousand dollars! I expect 4k to eventually get hear -- but we are maybe 5 to 10 years for viability -- and here in the US -- maybe 20 years!

I couldn't wait for your spin on this!

I wouldn't say many years the way technology is going nowadays. But I can see it happening in 5 years.....*well for the TV's price to come down the 4k models*.
BR was successful because of Sony, HD-DVD was successful because of Toshiba...
What about Red Ray? Who do they have?

Lets be realistic...people like to upgrade their TV's every 5-6 years, and the 1080p generation just came out few years ago, and it would be a while until people would be looking for a new upgrade.
If the 4k generation TV's are released in the next year or two I believe it would fail, they will be releasing their products just when majority of the market has converted to 1080i/p tv's.
You won't get the full benefit of a 4k TV unless you have a 100" TV, and most people in the US have <100" TV's.

Edit: I haven't looked into the 4k technology far enough, but I still want to see what the end product will be like.

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan of 4K, as it's not a 16:9 format; I'd much rather see the market shift to 2160p, then to 4320p....if they go to 4320p, that will be the day, as 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, and 2160p will all be able to be scaled without any "filler" pixel (or pixels cut out), as 4320p is the lowest-common multiple of all those formats....of course, 480i/480p would have pillar-boxing, but that's not big deal, and to be expected.

The only one that would be a little off would be the widescreen version of 480p...but who's going be complaining about W480p by then?

Yes, but they won't be shown until CES. I also know of new industry standards for cable connection types. I also know who is getting on board with 4K. Do you have anything for a couple hundred thousand price tag besides pulling it out.... like everything else? We're talking home equipment not theater grade equipment like Barco, etc.

S~

Well, All I asked for was the name of ONE manufacturer. Glad to see you follow thru and give me one!:rolleyes:

OKAY!! I watched a show on HDNET last November on new HD equipment and in Japan they were showing a 60" 4K screen from Panasonic -- Price $175,000!!!!!! That was converting the dollar then!!!! Now it is probably more. Even in Japan these units were not slated to go on sale to the consumer till 2010 -- maybe. Right now the screens that will be available are being sold for advertising or boardroom use. They did not meantion any 4k consumer product in the 4 digit range that most of us could afford. Heck, I just looked at a 70" LCD from Sharp on sale for $9,999!!!!! This was a brand new unit that just came out and looked great!! But eve at $9,999 that is a little too rich for my blood. BUT----maybe one of you has the manufacturer's name and model number of a 4K unit under $10,000! Until then, the spin is not coming from me!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts