Microsoft Surface 3: Bye-bye Windows RT!

Why a mini display port when HDMI and even DVI are more common? And does that link pass audio? I hear the specs support audio, but few if any manufacturers have implemented it.

I am going to have to go play with one. I am really liking Windows 10 and Apple Yosemite has been nothing but a headache with lots of bugs. Could be my next portable. :)
Apple? Bugs?

Apple, like ADP, does not have bugs!

They have "nuances."
;)

when the keyboard is folded back, it’s nearly impossible to hold the thing without pressing a bunch of buttons.
Funny. That's the first thing I tried today with the Surface 3! This would've been a deal breaker!
Fortunately the Type Cover is smart enough: the keyboard is turned off whenever the cover is folded back. So you can't press any buttons by mistake.

Because I create ads, I wonder if there's enough oomph under the hood to run Adobe Creative Suite well. Also the screen seems a little small for doing graphic work. I use a five-year-old HP desktop replacement with a 15-inch screen and I don't think I'd like to sacrifice the screen real estate.
You can use an external screen with the Surface 3, but I seriously doubt that the CPU will be up to the task.
Surface 3 is not intended for any serious graphic work. It's mostly for light work, web browsing, working with texts, etc.
For professional work you need a more powerful CPU than Atom. And obviously a bigger screen.
I don't see Surface 3 as a replacement for my professional laptop. But it makes a perfect secondary computer for casual use and travel.

Why a mini display port when HDMI and even DVI are more common? And does that link pass audio? I hear the specs support audio, but few if any manufacturers have implemented it.
It certainly does! And can be easily converted to HDMI (or DVI or even VGA) with a simple adapter. Display Port is a much more capable interface than HDMI 1.4: supports many different display resolutions, and it can be daisy chained: you can connect multiple monitors, though I am not sure if Surface 3 supports that.

You can use an external screen with the Surface 3, but I seriously doubt that the CPU will be up to the task.
The CPU doesn't drive the display. That's up to the GPU. An internal Full HD display is no less CPU intensive than an external Full HD display.

The CPU doesn't drive the display. That's up to the GPU. An internal Full HD display is no less CPU intensive than an external Full HD display.
What I meant was that the CPU may not be up to the task for graphics-intensive applications like Adobe Creative Suite that Bronxiniowa was referring to (I didn't mean that it wouldn't be capable of driving an external display).
And as far as I understand, Atom x7 has an integrated GPU. There is no separate GPU chip in the Surface 3 to my knowledge. So technically the CPU is driving the display.

Some interesting details about Surface 3 provided by the Surface Team at Microsoft:
  • the LTE versions have a GPS chip
  • the micro-USB port charging port also handles USB data (so essentially there are two USB ports)
  • the Surface 3 supports Connected Standby, just like Pro 3
  • the Surface 3 does not support daisy chaining monitors over DisplayPort (the Pro 3 does)
  • "We built this product to last, and feel amazing about its performance, battery life, usability, etc."
  • 3:2 ratio, this is the future. Once you put this product in your hands you feel the benefits of Windows scaling to 3:2
  • you will also love the weight distribution on the device as you hold it in portrait to use it to write and read
  • previous covers work with Surface 3. the size is a little different, though
  • Surface 3 has the same wifi/bt chip and the same driver as Surface Pro 3
  • Surface 3 has a Firmware TPM
  • Surface 3 supports virtualization (Hyper-V) though Surface Pro is much better for virtualization as it offers more RAM and bigger disk
  • video editing will be possible: PC Mark 8 Creative Benchmark which includes video editing performance that is 85% of SP3 i3
And I love the following question and the Microsoft's reply! :D

Q: As the owner of a Surface RT, does the Surface 3 have the same satisfying click sound when opening/closing the kickstand? It's definitely not a dealbreaker if it doesn't, but... man that sound is just so satisfying for some reason.

A: Absolutely! On Surface 3 we defined the sound before we engineered the parts. The sound is created by the materials of the foot snapping onto the magnesium. The hinge snaps the kickstand to the Surface body and imbedded magnets hold it perfectly flat. .... which gives it the perfect sound.

Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/31c0tu/we_are_panos_panay_and_the_surface_team_at/

Last edited:
How does the Atom processor compare to the Core of the Pro 3?
Depends on the task.

Its really not a fair comparison, but for general use, it is adequate. My dell venue 8 pro has an atom, and for what I use it for it doesnt hiccup at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)