telephone line to wifi phone handset interface?

Cham

VE4GLS
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 19, 2008
Boonies
Just wondering if there is a gismo that can connect my telephone line (twisted pair) to my LAN (wired) so I can use a wifi capable phone handset anywhere within my LAN (wireless) coverage?

Would require two/three parts, one to interface my telephone line to the wired network in the house, one handset that can hear my wifi 2.4GHz, and a charger/cradle for the latter. The handset would use the interface as a gateway I would expect... Might also allow handheld decices to act as the handset... such as an Ipad or android smartphone too?

A cordless phone with an external antenna would work, but thought if the LAN/wifi is already there why not use it instead? My wifi system covers a lot of area, much more than a standard wireless phone would.

This way I can use my landline anywhere in my yard (very large yard) and not have to use a cell phone that only works in certain areas (poor coverage and expensive). Just curious if such an animal exists.

-C.

Wonder if there is a way to use a fax/modem card somehow to do this? I remember setting up an answering machine app to run on the PC back in the days of dial-up internet...Likely have a couple of those modem cards kicking around... but then I need the app to work on the mobile device...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)