monitor not waking with HDMI cable, assorted transition issues

Matt Manos

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
Springdale, AR
I took my wife into the gated community of Apple a couple of weeks ago, purchasing a mid-range 2014 Mac Mini and iPad Air 2. We're looking at getting her an iPhone in the near future. Everything has gone relatively smoothly except the HD monitor refused to turn on when the computer woke up from sleep. We had to power the monitor off and on to make it work. Some quick googling revealed that this is a known issue with a lot of Mac Minis and the usual recommendation is to use a HDMI to DVI cable instead of a regular HDMI - HDMI. I got a HDMI to DVI-D cable and, boom, sleep and resume work normally with the monitor (a new Asus 23"). Take it FWIW.

Also experienced a problem with the initial set up when the Mac tried to set up iCloud Keychain. The machine locked up, so we had to power it down and start over. Wound up creating a second user with the same name since we couldn't create a home folder with a duplicate name. (Knew better than to try setting up iCloud Keychain this time around.) I deleted the second user later. First user account worked fine.

Another slight annoyance is that Silverlight won't work on Chrome. We tried to install it to let my wife watch videos on Encore's website but no joy.

And are pin tabs really not available in Safari? I would like to think I'm just overlooking something ...

I've been griping but my wife really likes the speed of the Mac as well as gestures using the Magic Track Pad. Hand Off is handy, syncing photos to iCloud is nice (even better once she gets the iPhone), and she has plenty of storage space for all of our family photos.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)