Microsoft takes back Win 10

One of my major peeves. Software always makes my hardware obsolete. You toss perfectly working gear and buy new to stay in the "mainstream".

Oh I know why they shut it off.

Scott, many companies are discovering the Cloud services is a cash cow profit center. So it makes good business sense to rent space on their hard drives rather then let you keep things like backups on yours. Everyone is getting into the act. Software you rent, backup space you rent, and now the killing of the LOCAL area network, forcing people to rent the network from big business.

Even Ford is now taking back a service I purchased for my Ford Escape where I get my required maintenance from an email my car sends it to me. After August, I must go to a "participating dealer" and pay to have the report generated. I hoe we get a class action suit on that one.

All this wouldn't bother me if it worked as they imagine, but it doesn't. Unless you have an insanely fast internet connection AND it saves me money. Neither is true.

The only way this will get worse is when they decide to meter your use and that is coming. It's part of the Greed equation. Did anyone notice? Win 10 already has the code built in to meter your internet and charge your use by the Gigabyte. Right now it doesn't apply to anyone unless you are using phone hotspot which is billed by your carrier. But I see it happening one day soon where you will pay by the data size processed by your windows OS. Intel may adopt a similar plan by renting you its CPU.

I have a Netgear Readynas and a Seagate (something) that is only a year and a half old and both are now non functional because of this.
No, they still function fine, just like they did out-of-the-box. If you had a Linux or pre-10 Windows machine I bet they see the shares just fine.

But they should update their firmware, unless they have gotten out of the NAS market. Try Synology if you want a solid NAS with some other incredible features.

Maybe "Battlestar Galactica" and "Person of Interest" should be mandatory viewing. Instill a healthy sense of paranoia in people's Internet use.

With this update windows no longer sees it.
If you enable SMB 1.0 in Windows features (appwiz.cpl), you should be able to get connected with all the security you've had all along. It may be "insecure", but you have to contemplate how many hackers do you have on your LAN.

I have two different Buffalo NAS devices that are both more than 11 years old and they're both working fine with Windows 10.

Microsoft is deprecating old standby features at an alarming pace (although they were apparently unable to off MSPaint as they had planned).

SMB v1 is a security nightmare...
You can pretty safely say that about anything Microsoft in the grand scheme. Security is mostly something Microsoft applies like spray paint to products that aren't inherently secure. Unfortunately, the same goes for Google, Adobe and Apple.

I did just that after installing 1803, enabled SMB v1 in Programs & Features, but for me at least it just allows me to see an icon for the computers on my LAN in Network Neighborhood. I can't actually browse the Shared contents of my PCs that way. When I double click on a PC, I get the Windows Cannot Access \\PCNAME error. But when I go to Start -> Run -> \\IPADDRESS it works. Must be some sort of DNS issue. Prior to enabling SMB v1, I could see all of my network devices (NAS, Hue Bridge, WeMo Plugs, DirecTV DVRs, etc) in Network Neighborhood except for the PCs. Doesn't bother me so much since I use my NAS most of the time, but for the quick one offs I just do \\IPADDRESS on the destination computer.

The only way this will get worse is when they decide to meter your use and that is coming. It's part of the Greed equation. Did anyone notice? Win 10 already has the code built in to meter your internet and charge your use by the Gigabyte. Right now it doesn't apply to anyone unless you are using phone hotspot which is billed by your carrier. But I see it happening one day soon where you will pay by the data size processed by your windows OS. Intel may adopt a similar plan by renting you its CPU.

Metered Connection mode has been on Windows 10 since day 1, its not some hidden or buried option. Since in Windows 10 Home and Pro there is no way to permanently ignore updates, Enabling meter connection just means when it comes time for updates, the OS takes into consideration that you are on a connection with low data threshold like cellular or satellite.

I can tell you I wish past versions of Windows had this. I take a road trip almost every year the second weeks of May and October. Guess what happens the second Tuesday of the month? Prior to a few weeks ago, I relied on a Sprint Mobile Hot Spot or a USB Air Card for internet connectivity with a 3 GB data allowance. One set of updates can chew that in half in no time. I would try to remember to disable automatic updates on Windows 7, but sometimes by the time I thought about it, it was too late. Now with T-Mobile, I have 10 GB worth of Hot Spot data from my phone, so it doesn't mater so much.

I did just that after installing 1803, enabled SMB v1 in Programs & Features, but for me at least it just allows me to see an icon for the computers on my LAN in Network Neighborhood. I can't actually browse the Shared contents of my PCs that way. When I double click on a PC, I get the Windows Cannot Access \\PCNAME error. But when I go to Start -> Run -> \\IPADDRESS it works. Must be some sort of DNS issue.
It is more likely a side effect of the mental midgets at Microsoft messing with (deprecating) Homegroups. Then again, maybe it needs a WINS server to find older machines.

The standard desktop where I work started with the 1607 build and they can still access the oldest NAS by name after the latest April insanity. The copyright date on the firmware of the NAS Buffalo HD-H160LAN NAS (yes, only 160GB) is 2005. I do have a WINS server (Microsoft's weak sister name service).

Microsoft goes to a lot of trouble to do things differently and then blames long-established standards (versus their newly purchased standards) when one of their flea-bitten schemes doesn't meet the need. See more at the ever-miserable Exchange Server.

I thought WINS has been dead for years? Our new (well not so new any more) Primary DC at work acts as the internal Primary DNS and WINS Server. My boss at the time and I had a minor disagreement about even installing the WINS service. The old 2003 R2 DC was a WINS Server, and I did think it was necessary to waste two and a half minutes installing and configuring it on the new 2008 R2 box, but I was out ranked.

So I just did a experiment. I RDP'd into my work Desktop, which is still running Windows 7. I cannot access Shares or do an Admin Share on Windows 10 (1709 or 1803) machines using \\PCNAME, it has to be \\IPADDRESS or \\IPADDRESS\C$. I'll have to look this up at work tomorrow and see if there is a remedy for this.

So I just did a experiment. I RDP'd into my work Desktop, which is still running Windows 7. I cannot access Shares or do an Admin Share on Windows 10 (1709 or 1803) machines using \\PCNAME, it has to be \\IPADDRESS or \\IPADDRESS\C$.
I did a very similar experiment using VNC and discovered that the problem appears to be that Windows 10 IPv6 keeps reasserting itself. I'm pretty sure that I disabled IPv6 on my desktop but when I did a ping, there was no response to a IPv6 address! When I try to ping a computer that has an IPv4 entry for WINS, it pings the IPv6 perversion of the address even if the box itself isn't set up for IPv6. Fracking retards!

Anyway, try disabling IPv4 on the Windows 10 box and see what happens.

Something else I discovered when trying to RDP into a Windows 2008R2 server: RDP has changed enough that I cannot log in to 2008R2 without typing all of the credentials. What used to log straight in with "remembered" credentials now blows up and makes me select another user and retype everything. Perhaps another one of those asshat things where Microsoft chose to go UCS2 (two bytes for every character) rather than suck it up and use UTF8 like the rest of the free world.

I've got several Windows server 2008 boxes kicking around (none in productive use) and I'm hoping there's an RDP host update that fixes this as typing credentials is a pain.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)