Microsoft to push XP SP3 via Auto Update on July 10

i have not had a single problem with SP3...

I work in a PC repair shop and all computers get SP3 before rolling out of the door, and we have not had anyone come in complaining.

Last edited:
The primary problem that I'm dealing with is that it has been disabling the internet for users with Zone Alarm.

I've had to repair 4 pc's now by removing Zone Alarm and installing different firewall software or else it blocks IE. (the suggestion of "use firefox" turns some people's stomachs who are too used to MSIE)

The primary problem that I'm dealing with is that it has been disabling the internet for users with Zone Alarm.

I've had to repair 4 pc's now by removing Zone Alarm and installing different firewall software or else it blocks IE. (the suggestion of "use firefox" turns some people's stomachs who are too used to MSIE)
The problem is not SP3. It was the last security update (KB951748) from MS that zapped ZoneAlarm. ZoneAlarm Instant Support
Uninstalling the security update will restore internet connectivity.

New version of ZoneAlarm is available here. ZoneAlarm SmartDefense Research Center

A major problem has also been on some HP/Compaq Media Centers with AMD processors... blue screen of death, reboot, repeat.... safe mode attempts hang before safe mode loads... I would hate to be a non-literate computer user and wake up to this and have no idea what to do. There is finally a fix for this but it should be installed first, and it is an HP patch, not something that MS updates would push.

Other than that, I've only seen minor problems with SP3, and I've literally installed it hundreds of times in the last couple months since it came out. It certainly is not something they should push with Automatic Updates.... idiots!... wait, did I say that, I am a MS partner...I didn't mean idiots... I Love Microsoft *smile* $$$$$$$$$$$$$

It was a very specific OEM install of those listed above; it was a HP error not the fault of AMD or MS in this case. HP failed to heed memo's and was installing incorrect O/S releases on AMD powered machines.

It was a very specific OEM install of those listed above; it was a HP error not the fault of AMD or MS in this case. HP failed to heed memo's and was installing incorrect O/S releases on AMD powered machines.

I wasn't blaming MS or AMD at all... I realize it was an HP issue. Unfortunately, I have seen it a few times..... a few times too many.

The only "hah-hah" I've seen regarding XP SP3 was one box at work that come up with the Windows Firewall locked down tight. It was ignoring the GPO that held the firewall rules, so we had to physically visit the box and do a GPUPDATE to force the reload of the GPO. This happened to just the one box, so I guess it was a "funny-once"...

All my home boxes took XP SP3 just fine.

Don't install XP3

I installed the XP3 update the other day. I went here to see what people were saying about it first, it didn't seem too bad so I installed. Wrong. Even after doing a previous restore point and going back it still freezes when surfing, especially when printing, and prompts error messages after the update only. Worked great before update. Not cool. XP home, Sp1 & 2, Tosh Q-35 laptop.

I installed the XP3 update the other day. I went here to see what people were saying about it first, it didn't seem too bad so I installed. Wrong. Even after doing a previous restore point and going back it still freezes when surfing, especially when printing, and prompts error messages after the update only. Worked great before update. Not cool. XP home, Sp1 & 2, Tosh Q-35 laptop.
You don't happen to be using a Zone Alarm firewall?

No. Trend micro.
MS Update KB951748 may be affecting your computer. Some Trend Micro users are also reporting problems after it was installed. See the 4th post from this link. Try uninstalling KB951748 and see if your internet connection is restored.

I have no problems with SP3 on my homebuilt desktop system or my Dell laptop. Neither of them are AMD systems though, and I don't use software-only firewalls of any sort.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)