Big Brother 10 and Norton Internet Security

Frank Jr.

Beati pacifici 5:9
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 8, 2004
Columbia S.C.
Ok let me first say I am not a fan of Real Player. I consider it badware. My wife has been very sick and after multiple surgeries has had to stay home while recovering. Out of boredom she started watching Big Brother live video feeds from Real Player (version 11) Super Pass late at night into the early wee hours when she can't sleep. The problem is that the only way to watch the live feeds is to start my computer in safe mode with networking. I can then reboot normally and she can watch the feeds for about 10 min or so. After that when an attempt to restart the live feeds (if stopped for some reason) a general error occurs with no specifics. I have contacted Real Player and they say the only way to view the live feeds is to disable Norton or use some other security program. I have contacted Norton and they couldn't fix it. I can down load an older version of Real Player (10.5) which works ok but it installs sub routines that take up a lot of the processor and runs constantly. If I delete or stop these routines once the computer is rebooted they start again. Any ideas other than telling Real Player to shove it where the sun doesn't shine?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Have you considered dumping the bad program, Norton? Personally, I have avoided Norton for years. I have friends who experienced other issues with Norton to the point that they gave up. Norton has been overkill for years on end, it was a dangerous program even for the experienced user, let alone the common PC user.

My preference in security is Zone Alarm. I have Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite on my laptop, which I use on business trips. I've used it in airports and hotels connecting to client's servers to perform work on them and have always felt safe, never had any issues. And it works well with VPN security software as well, such as SecureRemote and Cisco. My desktop at home, which I also use occasionally for business as I do 24/7 support for my company, has Zone Alarm FREE as it's firewall and Avast! Free for anti virus. I have never had an issue with either one.

Hi Frank,
I work with Symantec, maker of Norton products, and came across your post.
Although I’m not sure what’s causing the conflict between Real Player and your Norton Internet Security, I’d like to put you in touch with someone at the most senior level of Symantec technical support. Which version of NIS are you using?
Please feel free to contact me anytime at [edited out email addy] and I would be happy to set that up.

Best,
Van

Last edited by a moderator:
Get rid of NIS. Even if it doesn't help your problem, it will only do good to your system overall.
Torrent the corporate version of NAV - I think you are entitled to use it after having paid for NIS - it's small, clean and does a good job. No subscription expiration.

Diogen.

i put zone alarm and NIS in the same boat... Crap....

I work in a PC repair shop as a part time job and most of these all in one packages do more harm than good (they also use a crapload of PC resources that could be used somewhere else). For example, I reformatted a customer's computer due to many viruses and spyware (in other words I gave it back to her good as new), she brings it back to the shop a week later complaining that it takes to long to boot (it took a good 5 to 10 minutes). When I finally got it booted up I noticed that she had installed a MacAfee suite on it, so I unintalled it and everything was working wonders.

I have also seen zone alarm turn a core 2 quad with 3 gigs of ram into what felt like a celeron running 512mb of ram.

Anyways, enough explination, I prefer running an antivirus program called NOD32 along side of Spybot (turn off teatimer when installing) and that is it, just keep it simple. As long as you are behind a firewall (any basic router will provide this) you are good to go.

Hi Frank,
I work with Symantec, maker of Norton products, and came across your post.
Although I’m not sure what’s causing the conflict between Real Player and your Norton Internet Security, I’d like to put you in touch with someone at the most senior level of Symantec technical support. Which version of NIS are you using?
Please feel free to contact me anytime at vanw [at] carryonpr [dot] com and I would be happy to set that up.

Best,
Van
tried the email address not found

Van is helping me get in contact with upper level Norton Tech Support. This will be great. No need to go through customer service lower level techs again. Phew! We need to get Van to join up here at SG. Thanx Van for your help.:)

Over the weekend I reinstalled my OS,Norton and Real Player. All is well. Van again thanks for your efforts!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)