Midwest/Indy "moving" question Erie/Buffalo locals?

JimiMoore77

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2009
Indy
So I live in Indianapolis however due to the fact that I grew up in western New York I am sadly a huge Buffalo Bills fan.

I just got Dish and I am trying to figure out the best scenario for me to be able to get locals close to Buffalo so I can get at least a few of their games.

I have already tested out this whole "moving" thing and currently receive Chicago locals but I am hoping to make a jump to Buffalo or Erie locals in a few days.

I am currently set up on a 100.4 Eastern arc dish with a wing dish (500) pulling in 110 and 119. I was wondering if someone in the Indy area could give me a signal reading for 129W / Transponder 8 as I am wanting to see if it would be worth getting another dish to pick up 129W to get Erie locals or not.

The Buffalo locals seem like a long shot although I am just inside the Spotbeam according the map.

Erie, PA HD locals
129?W \ Transponder 8 \ Spotbeam 25

Erie, PA SD locals
129?W \ Transponder 6 \ Spotbeam 25

Buffalo, NY SD locals
110?W \ Transponder 27 \ Spotbeam 09

Anybody have experience with pulling locals from 400 miles away like I am trying to do? Is this even close to do-able?

Thanks,

Jimi in Indy

Just a mention, three of our stations in Erie are still standard definition if that makes any difference for you.

I'll take whatever definition I can get as long as I can get me some Bills games.

I have a 722k with an OTA antenna so I get all my Indy locals in HD so I don't have to have HD.

Indianapolis is on the yellow ring of the 110 TP 29 S09 shows a weak signal but reachable.

Satellite 129 TP 6 and 8 Spot 25 shows Indianapolis is inside the green ring.

Go to Menu 6-1-1 and set the transponder to 29 on the 110 satellite - see how much signal you get.

Do the same with 129 TP 6 and 8 from the looks of the spotbeam maps - it might work.

OOPS - I see you don't have 129. Anyone in Indy getting signal on 129 TP 6 and 8??

Thanks for all the info everyone! I really do appreciate it. If the 129 maps are considered to be quite accurate it may actually be worth my time to mess with trying to pull down the 129 satellite and make a "move" to Erie, PA.

So one more question. Currently I have a 500 dish with only one LNB on it and it currently grabbing 110 for me. (The only reason the installer did that was so I could get my Indy locals in SD).

Can I move my 500 and re-purpose it to pull down 129 for me? Is there anything special I would need to do that? I imagine I will be able to figure most of this out by searching around in this forum but if anyone would be willing to give me a quick noob-friendly run-down I would definitely gladly accept it!

I think the LNB thing is what I understand least at this point...

What will the ramifications be on my setup if I were to add 129 to my current Eastern arc 100.4 setup? Is it true that 129 steals the reigns from 61.5 anytime you are tunning into a channel that both have? In short, what are the pitfalls (if any) in marrying 61.5 and 129? I am sure several of you have done this so please feel free to impart your wisdom upon me!

I checked the signal on the two 129 transponders and they will not lock to spot, very weak. Don't think you're going to get them.

Satellite 129 TP 6 and 8 Spot 25 shows Indianapolis is inside the green ring.

Go to Menu 6-1-1 and set the transponder to 29 on the 110 satellite - see how much signal you get.

Do the same with 129 TP 6 and 8 from the looks of the spotbeam maps - it might work.

OOPS - I see you don't have 129. Anyone in Indy getting signal on 129 TP 6 and 8??

I'm in Greenwood on the South side of Indy, and I'm able to lock on both 6 and 8 on 129. Spotbeam 6 shows "Locked - Echostar 129 West" with a strength of 40, and 8 shows a strength of 27.

So I live in Indianapolis however due to the fact that I grew up in western New York I am sadly a huge Buffalo Bills fan.

I just got Dish and I am trying to figure out the best scenario for me to be able to get locals close to Buffalo so I can get at least a few of their games.

I have already tested out this whole "moving" thing and currently receive Chicago locals but I am hoping to make a jump to Buffalo or Erie locals in a few days.

I am currently set up on a 100.4 Eastern arc dish with a wing dish (500) pulling in 110 and 119. I was wondering if someone in the Indy area could give me a signal reading for 129W / Transponder 8 as I am wanting to see if it would be worth getting another dish to pick up 129W to get Erie locals or not.

The Buffalo locals seem like a long shot although I am just inside the Spotbeam according the map.

Erie, PA HD locals
129?W \ Transponder 8 \ Spotbeam 25

Erie, PA SD locals
129?W \ Transponder 6 \ Spotbeam 25

Buffalo, NY SD locals
110?W \ Transponder 27 \ Spotbeam 09

Anybody have experience with pulling locals from 400 miles away like I am trying to do? Is this even close to do-able?

Thanks,

Jimi in Indy

Your best bet might be investing in a slingbox for someone back here at home so you can watch the games. Otherwise you will be forced to get over to D* and get the NFLST. Supposedly there is a broadband version of the NFLST coming out, but probably not until the 2010 season.

Thanks for all the info everyone! I really do appreciate it. If the 129 maps are considered to be quite accurate it may actually be worth my time to mess with trying to pull down the 129 satellite and make a "move" to Erie, PA.

So one more question. Currently I have a 500 dish with only one LNB on it and it currently grabbing 110 for me. (The only reason the installer did that was so I could get my Indy locals in SD).

Can I move my 500 and re-purpose it to pull down 129 for me? Is there anything special I would need to do that? I imagine I will be able to figure most of this out by searching around in this forum but if anyone would be willing to give me a quick noob-friendly run-down I would definitely gladly accept it!

I think the LNB thing is what I understand least at this point...

What will the ramifications be on my setup if I were to add 129 to my current Eastern arc 100.4 setup? Is it true that 129 steals the reigns from 61.5 anytime you are tunning into a channel that both have? In short, what are the pitfalls (if any) in marrying 61.5 and 129? I am sure several of you have done this so please feel free to impart your wisdom upon me!

129 should be strong in your area, if you have line of sight of course. Here's what I would do. Just to make sure things are correct, tune to an HD transponder on 110. Transponder 19 should work fine. Go to the point dish screen and put it on 110 TP 19. Make a note of your signal strength in case you need to go back. Get your settings on where to point off of DishPointer.com, zoom into your yard on the satellite pics so you can see exactly where you are pointing. Take a marker and make a line on the pole where it turns so you can go back to 110 if needed. Mark your elevation too. Now change the settings for 129 on the dish until you see the point dish screen get a signal saying wrong satellite 129. Tweak for the best signal you can get. Very small adjustments and give the receiver time each time you move the dish. Lock everything down, then do a check switch. Then check your spotbeam signal strengths.

You shouldn't notice a thing between it using 129 over 61.5 for national HD.

Somewhat related question...I'm thinking about "moving" from Louisville to Cleveland or Columbus. I get a lock on 129 for both and the signal strength is green and about 43. Is this good enough?

It is not optimal, so you might lose signal in a heavy or moderate rain storm, but it will work.

Somewhat related question...I'm thinking about "moving" from Louisville to Cleveland or Columbus. I get a lock on 129 for both and the signal strength is green and about 43. Is this good enough?

43 is about average and sometimes above average for some spotbeams.

Buffalo HD locals are on 61.5. I believe TP 13 Spotbeam 4. Both channels 4 and 29 (CBS and FOX) are in HD.

Hey-ay-ay-ay, Let's Go Buffalo!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts