Might Leave Dish Any Hope

bkushner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2005
Audubon, NJ
So after 20 years of using and loving Dish it looks like it's all over for me. I'm retiring in the spring and moving to a condo complex that has FIOS and no dishes allowed. I will have a balcony facing in the right direction for dish but I obviously can't have a dish mounted. Is there any other ways I might be able to keep my dish?

So after 20 years of using and loving Dish it looks like it's all over for me. I'm retiring in the spring and moving to a condo complex that has FIOS and no dishes allowed. I will have a balcony facing in the right direction for dish but I obviously can't have a dish mounted. Is there any other ways I might be able to keep my dish?
You mentioned no dishes allowed and can't mount one is it one or both, they make a portable mount for rv's that has I think 3 legs for ground use anchor it with sand bags . If you got a balcony does this mean you have sliding glass doors, kind of tacky and I don't know if you can get a signal through glass but that mount inside your glass doors. Just a idea.

Reactions: charlesrshell
It is my understanding that it is an FCC violation to prohibit dish placement with some rare exceptions. I'm not sure of your exact situation but here's the FCC page for your enjoyment. I had to have this fight with a landlord back in the late 90's - and of course I won. If I were in your situation, I would go ahead and mount the dish and then hand them a copy of the FCC rules with a copy of the complaint you're about to file when they try to deny you. It's really not worth it for them to fight it because it's highly unlikely that they'll win.

Good luck!

Installing Consumer-Owned Antennas and Satellite Dishes

Probably, but if you choose not to, I'd consider getting a Tivo to go with your FiOS service.

You can place a Dish on your balcony by law. The best general description is it must not be in common areas, meaning the space must belong to only you for use, and it can not overhang outside that area particularly when you are above ground level. It is possible your condo agreement says you can not attach anything to walls other than inside your condo. If not the Dish can be attached to a sidewall on the balcony or there are ways to make it stable from the floor including using RV Tripod mounts.

I did a temporary 1000.2 dish install for a friend a couple of years ago on a small apartment patio. I used a basic non-penetrating flat roof mount with four 4" concrete patio blocks for weights. That kept the dish low enough that it was hard to even tell it was there through the railing. In his case there were no dish restrictions to consider, but he was only going to be there for several months while his new house was being built and didn't want to do anything more permanent.

Actually, the latest FiOS STB is pretty good.

I suspect a section of “flat coax” is in your future.

Do you have a friend or relative that will allow you to put a Dish system at their house? Then you can use Dish Anywhere at your condo.I have friends in Mexico that do that with their daughter in Dallas. Their daughter is also able to use the system. Some simple use rules are set up.

I wouldn't turn down FIOS without giving it a try. Do they have a "buyer's remorse" timeframe?

Last time I looked at FiOS in NOVA, I could go month to month or sign for two years at a lower rate. DK if you can shift from month to month to two years commitment and get the lower rate.

I think they call it the 1100. NOT the Motorola boxes.

I think satellitegal has the service and can best answer questions.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts