Migrating from 722 to Hopper

Chimera

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 13, 2008
I want to get my Hopper installed ASAP and I'm wondering how I can migrate my current recordings to the Hopper. Can I just plug in an EHD (I don't usually use one), move the programming over, then copy it back to the Hopper once the install is done? I'd rather not use an EHD permanently if I can help it. I know I'll have to set up all my timers again but that I can deal with.

You should be able to use an EHD to transfer your recordings on to that. Then you can hook the EHD onto the Hopper once that is activated and then you can transfer the recording back onto the Hopper.

I want to get my Hopper installed ASAP and I'm wondering how I can migrate my current recordings to the Hopper. Can I just plug in an EHD (I don't usually use one), move the programming over, then copy it back to the Hopper once the install is done? I'd rather not use an EHD permanently if I can help it. I know I'll have to set up all my timers again but that I can deal with.

Why not?? It's a nice feature to be able to archive recordings and/or free up space on the internal drive....

Why not?? It's a nice feature to be able to archive recordings and/or free up space on the internal drive....

I guess I've just never needed it before even with the 722's small drive so I don't see us needing it with the much larger Hopper drive. Can an EHD be used for backups or can you only move programs to it rather than copy them (leaving them on the internal drive)?

I guess I've just never needed it before even with the 722's small drive so I don't see us needing it with the much larger Hopper drive. Can an EHD be used for backups or can you only move programs to it rather than copy them (leaving them on the internal drive)?

No, you can only move them, no copies. But, you can watch them from the external drive...

Right I get that...but again it seems kind of pointless for me to add an EHD if I'm not out of internal space. Maybe if I had an EHD that had internal RAID1 for protection in case a drive died, I'd use it. Anyway, good to know I can use the EHD to migrate content from one receiver to another (on the same account obviously).

Just wondering, would the one-time $40 Activation fee apply if you used an EHD just to transfer recordings to a new receiver? Could you even do it without paying it first?

The $40 Activation fee is for the 211 only. You will not be able to migrate those recordings to the Hopper, only the VIP DVRs can do that. There is no activation fee for the VIP DVRs at all.

Right I get that...but again it seems kind of pointless for me to add an EHD if I'm not out of internal space. Maybe if I had an EHD that had internal RAID1 for protection in case a drive died, I'd use it. Anyway, good to know I can use the EHD to migrate content from one receiver to another (on the same account obviously).

The big thing about storing recordings on the ehd is that if your dvr dies, you haven't lost your recordings.

The $40 Activation fee is for the 211 only. You will not be able to migrate those recordings to the Hopper, only the VIP DVRs can do that. There is no activation fee for the VIP DVRs at all.

can I transfer my recordings from my 722 to the hopper when they install it?

I am of the firm belief that an external HDD is more reliable than the internal one, depending upon what you buy. And don't drop. :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)