Mike kohl on sat talk live

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pixl

Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 27, 2010
Traverse City, Michigan
I hear that Mike kohl will have some Manhattan news to announce tonight on SatTalk Live at 9 pm on access America and at www.sattalk.us.

I'd like to tune into the sat signal, but for people in the satellite business your posting lacks some elementary info.

Listen on Satellite Galaxy 19 Ku-Band
(formerly Galaxy 25, Telstar 5 and IA 5)

Transponder: 23
Polarity: Vertical (V)
Frequency: 12.115 MHz
Symbol Rate: 22.425
FEC: 3/4
Audio PID 1794 E

With all that data, missing is the satellite orbital position.
I don't need to know the last four names the sat has had.
I also ask does this scan in as a tv channel or radio channel.

thank you

It scans in as a radio channel, on 97W Ku.

Omitting orbital locations when reporting a signal is one of my pet peeves as well. I brought it up once on this forum and got mixed replies. My philosophy is that orbital locations don't change, satellite names do, all the time.

As ke4est mentioned Access America is on 97W and scans in as radio. I currently don't have a dish aimed at 97W so I rely on the Internet stream. In fact I have them as a favorite in the "Tunin Radio" app on my iPod touch. Not as cool as listening to the satellite feed but it will have to do for now.

Thanks for reminding me about the show being on tonight.

Omitting orbital locations when reporting a signal is one of my pet peeves as well. I brought it up once on this forum and got mixed replies. My philosophy is that orbital locations don't change, satellite names do, all the time.

Seems someone even had "post orbital locations" in their signature.
Another nice thing isthat the orbital positions are nicely organized in numurical order, the sat names are all over the place and keep moving around.
LOOSE sat names!

Ok,

Here is a mode I will operate from now on. When I refernce a feed or something, it will be orbital reference only. You guys stuck on sat names can take the time to look it up if you want to see the feed. Everbybody else can just key it in from their sat list.
If you don't like it explain it to my receiver that has all the sats listed in numerical order.

For those of us not from the 4dtv era, names mean nothing. You can't go wrong with referencing orbital location. 91 C or KU is all that is needed and works every time

If the names are indeed loose, they may fall off the satellites and then we'd NEED to go by orbital location! :eek: :D
That's actually the meaning I took. My receivers are at variance with some parts of reality.

"Next time why not give her the gift she'll cherish? An orbital position is forever."

Speaking of pet peeves. One of mine is the misspelling of a simple word like LOSE.

You got me.
I thought it didn't look right, but the spell check let it through.

My pet spelling peeve is when people reference a web sight. (site please)

NONE of that drivel is going to stop me from using the satellite's proper name, you realize that, right? That's why they give it a name, because they want us to use it. And since part of my tax money helped put some of those sats up there, I like to think I am getting the most from my paltry dollar.

( that aint the real reason,BTW, the real reason is I know people don't like to have to remember new names so I always use them to irritate them... LOL )

I think it was when they moved the many-named G25 to 93 that I gave up on trying to remember what was where (which was after they changed the Galaxy numbers on a number of satellites, including G25). I try and use both name and location, but half the times I have to go and check the name (example: I know its AMC something, but what?). However, if someone posts the orbital location only, I don't bother looking up the name when I reply.

Eurosports, if the sats themself have not yet fallen neither will, their loose names lol. I always use the orbital location since as far as I am concern all I care is the signals I get from that orbital location not if it is Hispasat 1E or 1D. Sat operators on the contrary must name the sats just, for instance, in case one of them is lose, like Galaxy 15, lol. Like the saying goes, Lose has lost an "o". I guess at least I have improved my english language skills with this topic, lol.

I made myself a chart of frequently referenced satellites that is taped to my monitor so when someone gives a satellite without its location, I can glance up at it and tell if it's one I can see or not.

- Trip

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)