Mini Bud interest, growing or a fling of the past??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

walrus1957

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
40 miles west of Omaha
Experiencing some problems today with dish alignment after snow blowing my mini bud dish. This got me thinking if there was still any interests in mini buds. Haven't noticed a whole lot of traffic concerning setting up an offset dish or experimenting with mini buds for C-band lately.

Thought I would open a thread for those to comment on there experience with mini bud projects: what succes you had, what dish size you're using and what model LNBFs you've tested. Also why you decided to test out a mini bud setup; for me that's an easy question to answer, my wife doesn't like the appearence of a "big ugly dish" in the yard!

I have had great succes with a 1.2 meter offset dish, motorized with a DG280, and currently using the DMX241 LNB with the flat scaler that came with it. My location also has a lot to add to the projects success being located dead center in the peak of most Cband signal foot prints according to Lygnsat!

Photos of your setup would also be appreciated if you have any.

I think part of it is that it is winter now and most of us dont want to work out there on projects when its that damn cold out :)

Before the weather turned too cold, I was in the process of experimenting with my second offset 6' Prodelin and my prime focus 6' Fortec Star dishes.

Not too pretty with the NPRM bases, but in time the poles will be in concrete for the Prodelins. The Fortec is currently on the other side of the yard. The hard crusted snow makes it really easy to move on the pallet it's bolted to. These are hidden from view of the neighborhood behind the shed. So they can look ugly for now.

Attachments

• Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 309
Before the weather turned too cold, I was in the process of experimenting with my second offset 6' Prodelin and my prime focus 6' Fortec Star dishes.

Not too pretty with the NPRM bases, but in time the poles will be in concrete for the Prodelins. The Fortec is currently on the other side of the yard. The hard crusted snow makes it really easy to move on the pallet it's bolted to. These are hidden from view of the neighborhood behind the shed. So they can look ugly for now.

Where did you get your 6' Prodelin dishes from and are they motorized? If so with what?

I think part of it is that it is winter now and most of us dont want to work out there on projects when its that damn cold out :)

I hear you there Iceberg, after 36 inches of snow over the past 4 weeks and -24 degrees just a few days ago, I hate the thought of even going out to start the van in the morning. But figure this is a good time to stay indoors and reflect on what worked and didn't work with FTA this year. Much easier to type on the computer and view threads.

I have a feeling this is going to be a crazy winter, accuweather has forecast it to be around 48 degrees here in a week and rain on the way!

The sun just came out and for the first time in weeks will be above freezing (35F) today. Iceberg- this warmer weather is heading your way, careful you might melt!:)

I'm with Ice, it's just too cold, too much snow to be experimenting right now. I do wish they had a motor large enough to drive a 6' offset, and while I'm dreaming, let them add elevation adjustments and commands to the remote!!!

Weather has not been an issue at all here lately :), and I've played around several times trying to get just a sniff of C on an offset that is +/- .80 using a DMX741U.

I know, I know - the dish is too small! But if folks can get a bit of KU using a snuff can lid or a CD, I should be able to at least get a whiff of a C signal with this dish.

Still don't have a workable bracket/holder that even gives me a sniff of a signal. Believe the "stock" bracket that came with the DMX aims too low on the dish (laser pointers are really good for this) and places the LNB too close to get the right FD. All of my bracket mods ended up back in the parts pile for one reason or another - but I think I learned something with each try.

Started out by aligning the dish dead on 99 with the KU LNB - then just swapping out the hardware with ghetto rig holders for the DMX.

Measuring signal on my Birdog (with the 99C file) and not a sniff of a signal yet. Moving the EL higher or lower had no effect at all - but I know the AZ is spot on. Neither flat nor conical rings changes anything.

Not giving up - not even close. I will get this to work!!!!

Feel like I'm making Frankenstein on my workbench sometimes.

I'm still interested in a miniBUD, but like others have said, too cold to play with right now.

While I'm waiting for the weather to improve, I'm building an old Heathkit weather station that was made in 1982. What a hoot! I'll use it to record how much wind it takes to knock over a dish. :eek:

Walrus and I were discussing this over the phone yesterday. Since it is too cold to actually get outdoors and experiment hands-on, this is a good time to discuss ideas. Then, when spring comes, we will have ideas to try as we hit the ground running! :)

RADAR

With the price of 6 foot dishes becoming cheaper than 4 footers, not to mention sometimes free shipping on 6 footers (Sadoun satellite) and freight charges to be added on higher priced 4 footers, most of us have opted to get 6 footers. I lived in an apartment before but dedecided to still buy a 6 footer. However I got lucky and moved to a house.
However I understand not everyone has the space. This is the reason including myself why there are so many threads/install guide recently on 6 footers. The technology DVB-S2 (channels on C-band) is also forcing us to to stick with a minimum of 6 ft, not to mention very little analog feeds now.

Too much snow outside for actual work, but I'm planning . I hope to set up a couple "outrider" Ku lnbf's on my miniBUD setup to pick up 105W and 91W, when my dish is aimed at 99W. I've never had a a multi lnb solution, so this'll be my virginal foray into that area.
:)

I'd like one.

Right now, the weather isn't too bad to experiment outside. It is just the yard I'd put it is occupied with snow, piles of firewood, or large pieces of equipment.

To the OP,

I recommend a 6 footer setup. It will work well for C-band and KU band. The 4 footer is border line and I wouldn't recommend it, unless of course you insist.

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Order/Satellite-systems/C-Band-Satellite-System.htm MC-1 C/KU Bundle Features:

Receive both C & KU Band Free To Air signals from several satellites with this affordable C/KU-Band bundle.

• This system will allow you to move the dish to several satellites to watch more channels.
  • The receiver's remote control will actually control the whole system for you.
  • The motor gets its power from the GBox positioner.
  • The receiver has Blind Search capability: The ideal solution for wild feeds hunting.

And for those who read Spanish, here it is: :)

Recepción de C & KU Band Free To Air de señales de varios satélites con este asequibles C / KU-Band paquete. Este sistema le permitirá mover el plato de varios satélites para ver más canales. El control a distancia del receptor realmente el control de todo el sistema para usted. El motor se alimenta de la posicionador gbox. El receptor tiene la capacidad de búsqueda ciega: La solución ideal para los canales de caza silvestre.

Spring Project - MiniBud

I'm interested in a Mini-Bud.

I know many folks have had success with 1.2 meter with certain LNBF's - - - but what I want to try first is may GeoSat Pro 90 and use walrus1957's flat scalar.

This is a cross post of information from walrus1957 from a UK forum. This allow you to make the flat scalar shown which you need if you are using a 90cm or 1 meter dish.

I thought I would post here to make it simpler. I have not done this yet but want to try it very soon.

Picture is by walrus1957

Walrus1957 Scalar Cones Construction
Very simple and inexpensive to make.

You can use aluminum roof flashing which costs about $10 USD for a large roll and has a nice springy nature and can be cut with scissors.

90mm ID X 260mm OD outer cone.
90mm ID X 200mm OD middle cone.
90mm ID X 140mm OD inner cone.

From the inner cone space the second and third cones 15mm apart on the slip sleeve.

Wrap the LNBF with a single layer of material 45mm deep to make a slip cylinder to attach the cones to. You can use super glue gel.

The LNBF will move closer to the dish with these cones peaked
1. Attach only one ring, makes no differnce if it is the small medium or large ring and mount at very end of the waveguide, quality of 60% signal jumps to 68% and dish is very stable. Moving the dish up/down, right/left and inch doesn't seem to change the signal quality.

2. Mount second ring 10 to 15 mm spacing back of first ring, quality now rises from 60% to roughly 78% and dish is still very stable. Arc alignment for all sats seems spot on. Moving the dish up/down, right/left 1/2 inch doesn't seem to change the signal quality much.

3. Mount all three rings as shown in photo. The 60% quality has now jumped to 94% and dish is now very touchy. Transponders on same satellite may have just a slightly different elevation alignment, and from one satellite to the next the alignment could be just a little bit off. By this I mean you could either set all sats for 85% quality and let go at that or you could using a fixed point dish increase signal to 94%. Also moving the dish 1/2 inch up/down, right/left moves quality from 94% to 0%.

Attachments

• tripleconeA.jpg
    tripleconeA.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 196
We finally had a few days above 40 degrees and has me antsy to get back to testing. Put a bug in someones ear to ship me a free DMX242 to test, see how that goes.

I miss the GeoSatPro dual C LNB I had on my 1.2 meter dish last fall. With that I could feed my receiver upstaiars and the TV in the living room, but the 18K noise figure did not allow me to receive RFD-TV on 103W. I tested and currently am using the DMX241 C-band LNB. I have a strong signal and more than adequate signal quality to receive RFD-TV now, even during inclimate weather. Hopefully the DMX242 proves just as reliable as the 241 model so I can power both the small TV in the den and big screen downstairs from the same dish!

Adam12, do you still have my specs for the double ring conical scaler? Haven't been able to get to the cabin to find my project data book or the original rings that I boxed up after testing. Actually we did manage to open the road to the cabin last weekend, but hadn't the time to look for any FTA stuff out there. The road was really nasty even after plowing, now its to soupy to even consider driving my van down the 2 mile farm lane.

I recommend a 6 footer setup. It will work well for C-band and KU band. The 4 footer is border line and I wouldn't recommend it, unless of course you insist.
Can you post full back and side, and closeup view photos of a 6-footer and 4-footer mounted both with an Actuator? It's sort of hard to find a clear photo, how to mount the BUD system together, how it looks like from behind and side view when assembled.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)