AMIKO Mini HD SE no signal

WC4MBC

Original poster
Aug 31, 2014
My Amiko Mini HD SE shows absolutely no signal. Below are details.

The box was purchased in spring 2009 and used extensively in Tennessee. I moved to Pennsylvania a couple years ago and recently decided to install the system up here. I'm confident the dish is aimed at 97W - using Dishpointer and a cheap but adequate Radio Shack satellite meter. New coax. New standard LNB. LNB frequency is set to 10750 on the Amiko. I upgraded firmware to ke4est_minifull2.2.06 using "all software + bootloader". Still no signal shows on the bars at the bottom. Blind scanning turns up nothing, even when I change satellites on the receiver. Also, I bypassed the motor just to rule it out. That is, once aimed correctly, I ran the coax directly from the LNB to the box. And, reading and watching instructional videos, I've tried every combination of settings I can think of. Is it time for a new STB? Did I goof updating the firmware? Any other ideas? I've searched the forum. Thank you for your efforts.

Reactions: yewww001
Hello Monte. Do you have it set to a known good current transponder for 97W?
If you did an upgrade, I know that version has no transponders pre-installed.
Go to the setup screen where you set LNB etc. Hit the corresponding color key on the remote to edit transponders.
From there "ADD" a transponder with these parameters: Freq: 12152 Polarity: H Symbol Rate: 20000.
This will give you something to go by. If no transponders are installed you will get nothing.

Thanks, KE4EST. The STB does have transponders listed and your filename as the first one. Maybe I updated a different way than thought. I went to G19 KU, edited a transponder to the specifics you gave. Still nothing. Pictures of the settings are attached. I also re-installed the Amiko L-104 and set the parameters to universal. Nothing. Pictures attached. There are also pictures attached of the "info" screen.

amiko_180509_a.jpg amiko_180509_b.jpg amiko_180509_c.jpg amiko_180509_d.jpg amiko_180509_e.jpg amiko_180509_f.jpg

Do you think your dish is aimed properly?

Double check your connections to your dish. Do you have 18/13V at the dish?

According to Dishpointer, it is aimed at G19 97W. The satellite signal meter was used to peak the signal.
H 18.25 volts
V 13.19 volts
Looking at the previous post's pictures, are the parameters set correctly? Does the info screen indicate anything amiss?

It looks correct for the universal LNBF. What kind of satellite meter are you using?
Don't forget to skew your LNBF.

Well looking at the pictures: Shouldn't the 0/12v be off? With the universal LNB is there a 22khz setting auto? Or just leave it on. But off like in the picture wouldn't work.

Well looking at the pictures: Shouldn't the 0/12v be off? With the universal LNB is there a 22khz setting auto? Or just leave it on. But off like in the picture wouldn't work.
12V on or off has no effect, I wish it was not even in that menu.
Yes, if universal is set it should be auto.
Monte try this. Set the LO to 10600 and turn on 22kHz.

are you using dishpointer on a phone app, relying on the phone compass to show you where to point? Or are you using the map and using landmarks?

The reason i'm asking is that if I had relied on what my phone was telling me, I probably would not be receiving anything. The phone apps are great for the elevation and are very questionable when it comes to the azimuth...

once you've tested what Michael suggested, if that didn't fix it, maybe take another look at the dish pointing. Maybe try to aim for Galaxy 3C @ 95W - much easier than 97W as it's stronger. Once you get that one, 97W is right next to it

The meter is a Radio Shack Satellite Finder (Cat No 16-594).

I was using Dishpointer on the computer - aiming the dish right over my neighbor's garage like the Google Map showed.

Again, I aimed the dish, peaked it with the meter, even deleted the TP & added it back, and tried your settings and more with both LNBs. Nothing. At. All.

Thank you, gentlemen, for your effort and insight. With all that is going on in the world, I really want to access news and views from other countries. Alas, too much time, money, and energy (physical & emotional) has been spent on this endeavor for it still not to be fruitful. I'll set it aside for now and consider purchasing a new receiver later. After all, the existing unit is now 9 years old. Perhaps that was the problem all along. I'll check in again when the time comes, and intend on buying from a member here.

Monte Carroll I would be happy to check out the receiver if you want to send it to me.
The reason I asked about the meter, is because with that kind of meter, it is easy to get a signal from strong nearby satellites and not be on the proper bird.

Reactions: Brct203
If it hasn't been packaged yet, do a blind scan for all (free and scrambled) channels and report the channels found.

Did you have the the TV right next to the dish? The STB MUST be tuned to an active TP, LNB type, LO frequency and 22KHz settings correct and LNB skew angle rotated to the calculated position. Only when ALL of these are correctly set would any satellite signal be detected when slowly panning East / West and adjusting the elevation up/down in one degree increments while watching the Signal Quality meter reading.

Highly unlikely that the dish was aimed at the right satellite just by using Dishpointer, a compass and a squealer meter. Easy to be a few degrees off of 97w and actually be peaked with the squealer meter on the much stronger signals on 99 or 101w satellites.

12V on or off has no effect, I wish it was not even in that menu.
Yes, if universal is set it should be auto.
Monte try this. Set the LO to 10600 and turn on 22kHz.
My situation is the same as that of this gentleman. I wonder if his problem has been solved?

This thread is over two years old. Please keep your posts all in one thread so that it is easier to follow.
Setting up a dish as a complete newbie is going to take some time, until you understand how everything works. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 6)

Latest posts